Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expectations When Purchasing a New S&W Revolver

Where I grew up, you could take your car to the local VoTech school and they would paint your car at-cost, simply as a way for students to practice.

Does S&W do the same thing with gunsmithing?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I believe part of the issue is that the people who knew how to build and fit a revolver have all retired or moved on to other things. Back in the middle 1990s, Vito and John French at the Performance Center, started by Paul Liebenberg, could design and build one heck of a revolver. None of those fine people work there today.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    The cylinder slide release button is sticking forward when pushed and then released...
    Not sure what you meant, it sticks with the cylinder still in the frame, just pushing the thumbpiece forward and letting it go, or pushing it, releasing the cylinder out of the frame, and the thumbpiece stayed forward?

Too bad about all the issues with that gun, and their attitude about handling it.

I should have articulated this better to begin with. Using my thumb to push the cylinder release forward felt gritty and not smooth at all, If i released my thumb from applying forward pressure and then tried to open the cylinder it would not open. Re-applying pressure to the cylinder release there would be no noticeable movement forward because it never retracted when it was released but the cylinder would now open. I really think overall this is more of situation that the store was trying to move a well handled/abused display firearm then a QC problem with S&W. Not that i said it like this but I also believe the store associate is not used to a customer saying WTF is this turd you a trying to pawn off on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Not sure what you meant, it sticks with the cylinder still in the frame, just pushing the thumbpiece forward and letting it go, or pushing it, releasing the cylinder out of the frame, and the thumbpiece stayed forward?

Too bad about all the issues with that gun, and their attitude about handling it.

Vending Machine Operator
    Honestly, I only buy online anymore, from a small handful of reputable sites that do high volume. I have had far fewer issues and I don't have to deal with the know-better-than-thou gun store employees. The last straw for the last local dealer I thought was decent was when he offered me something like $300 in TRADE VALUE (not cash) for a like-new condition Beretta 92FS Compact and said I wasn't going to get anymore. I later sold it at a much fairer price to a Pistol-Forum member who recently posted about it and seems to be enjoying it. It's Pistol-Forum or about 6 online shops for me anymore, period.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I bought a S&W 442-1 online about two weeks ago. Immediately on inspection at the FFl it was sent to I noticed some poor machining on the extractor rod. Since I have been reading about some recent quality control problems with S&W j-frames, I kind of anticipated a problem but was still hoping for the best. Since I had paid for it online and the FFl was just transferring it to me, I took it home. After some dry fire at home I noticed an issue with the trigger return. I called S&W customer on Friday morning and dropped it off for shipping back to them Friday afternoon. I’m hopeful that it will be in good working order when it is sent back to me.

Back around "77 or "78, I bought a brand new S&W model 19, blue with a 4" barrel. Hadn't had it but 3 or 4 months when it totally locked up when I was shooting it one day. Using factory .357 ammo (don't remember brand), you couldn't pull the trigger or pull back the hammer or open the cylinder. Luckily this happened after the sixth round was fired. Sent it back to Smith. Took about 3 months to get it back and it functioned perfectly thereafter. Had a S&W model 59 15-shot 9mm. It was having ejection problems of which I faintly remember this was a known issue for this pistol. Not a recall, but an issue with a known fix. I got it back and it functioned perfectly thereafter. Both repairs were under factory warranty.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Honestly, I only buy online anymore, from a small handful of reputable sites that do high volume. I have had far fewer issues and I don't have to deal with the know-better-than-thou gun store employees. The last straw for the last local dealer I thought was decent was when he offered me something like $300 in TRADE VALUE (not cash) for a like-new condition Beretta 92FS Compact and said I wasn't going to get anymore. I later sold it at a much fairer price to a Pistol-Forum member who recently posted about it and seems to be enjoying it. It's Pistol-Forum or about 6 online shops for me anymore, period.
    Fair private sale price does not equal gunstore trade in price. 50 to 60 percent of the reasonable used retail price is normal trade in on a used gun. You wouldn’t get anymore from another FFL.

They are in business to make money and used guns have much higher margins than new guns which have tiny margins. They are investing in holding onto the gun until they find a buyer. Many people want the new hotness “RIGHT NOW” so they do the deal. It’s nothing personal.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-22-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Back around "77 or "78, I bought a brand new S&W model 19, blue with a 4" barrel. Hadn't had it but 3 or 4 months when it totally locked up when I was shooting it one day. Using factory .357 ammo (don't remember brand), you couldn't pull the trigger or pull back the hammer or open the cylinder. Luckily this happened after the sixth round was fired. Sent it back to Smith. Took about 3 months to get it back and it functioned perfectly thereafter. Had a S&W model 59 15-shot 9mm. It was having ejection problems of which I faintly remember this was a known issue for this pistol. Not a recall, but an issue with a known fix. I got it back and it functioned perfectly thereafter. Both repairs were under factory warranty.
    That was a long time ago.

The past is another country, they do things differently there.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Fair private sale price does not equal gunstore trade in price. 50 to 60 percent of the reasonable used retail price is normal trade in on a used gun. You wouldn’t get anymore from another FFL.

They are in business to make money and used guns have much higher margins than new guns which have tiny margins. They are investing in holding onto the gun until they find a buyer. Many people want the new hotness “RIGHT NOW” so they do the deal. It’s nothing personal.
    I have frequently received significantly better prices on trade-ins. In the same conversation he told me Berettas suck and nobody wants Berettas anymore and generally treated me like a housewife who found a gun in an estate sale.

That’s the kind of crap I’m over, more than the pricing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List