Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Hi-power Pistols--C&S Says They're Good

Turkish Hi-power Pistols--C&S Says They're Good

I've always loved the BHP and have a strong interest in owning a C&S, Yost, etc. Problem is price ain't cheap. These guns don't come up used often and command big bucks. And we can all but forget about finding a decent used base model and commissioning a build that way.

Anyway, there's a Turkish clone made by Tisas that's recently hit the market. By and large these guns have been pretty well received. What really surprised me is that C&S is building on them.

I talked to one of the gunsmith fellows there this morning for awhile. Nice guy and quite knowledgeable about the BHP. He says the Turkish guns appear to be a solid value and are nicer guns than the FM or FEG variety. They have checked one of the guns out pretty thoroughly to include getting hardness samples for the components. Metallurgy appears good.

Are they perfect? No. The frame tang radius is off and the sight dovetails are something unique.

This pistol pictured below is a C&S full-on custom. Price is $2400 so the gun is still too much for me.

Have a good weekend!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I like the HP too and I have owned several but haven't kept one. I can't get past the lack of even a modest beavertail, why can't one of these clone producers make a version with one? Anyway my SAO CZ 75 and Colt .38 super seem to meet my SAO needs for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I like the HP too and I have owned several but haven't kept one. I can't get past the lack of even a modest beavertail...
    It would make sense to make a modern BHP clone. At least with a few mild tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It would make sense to make a modern BHP clone. At least with a few mild tweaks.

Thing is, the AR 15 bug has hit me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I've always loved the BHP and have a strong interest in owning a C&S, Yost, etc. Problem is price ain't cheap. These guns don't come up used often and command big bucks. And we can all but forget about finding a decent used base model and commissioning a build that way.

Anyway, there's a Turkish clone made by Tisas that's recently hit the market. By and large these guns have been pretty well received. What really surprised me is that C&S is building on them.

I talked to one of the gunsmith fellows there this morning for awhile. Nice guy and quite knowledgeable about the BHP. He says the Turkish guns appear to be a solid value and are nicer guns than the FM or FEG variety. They have checked one of the guns out pretty thoroughly to include getting hardness samples for the components. Metallurgy appears good.

Are they perfect? No. The frame tang radius is off and the sight dovetails are something unique.

This pistol pictured below is a C&S full-on custom. Price is $2400 so the gun is still too much for me.

Have a good weekend!

A buddy and I are Hi Power fans. He bought a Turkish, I bought a MK3. Brownells drop in barrel? WILL NOT work in his Turkish clone without a lot of fitting. Drops in my MK3. Also, he has fitted C&S safeties to 3 previous Hi Powers. The Turkish clone took twice as long as legit Browning guns. I don’t think the Turks are there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They may not be totally spot on, but they seem to be the only viable game in town, particularly for a decent quality BNIB Hi Power. Frankly, I've always pretty much considered "drop in" components (especially major components-like barrels, slides, et al) to be gunsmithing propositions. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    They may not be totally spot on, but they seem to be the only viable game in town, particularly for a decent quality BNIB Hi Power. Frankly, I've always pretty much considered "drop in" components (especially major components-like barrels, slides, et al) to be gunsmithing propositions. Best, Jon
    Just saying, components spec’d to be semi drop in in the original manufacturers guns seem to. In the Turkish clones, not so much. My buddy does love the gun, but said it is definitely not true to FN/Browning Spec (I get all the parts he doesn’t feel like fitting, so I’m ok with that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember hearing about these somewhere else as being decent. Brownells had them for $500 iirc. I only have my Belgian surplus MKii but it would be cool to have a new one with better sights and safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

A company called BHSS ran one of the stainless guns for 6K rounds. According to BHSS, the firing pin plate broke at around 5000 rounds. The extractor broke at around 500 rounds. Replacing the extractor with an FN unit resulted in poor extraction. This is all from a thread on 1911forum.com. It sounds like Tisas, the manufacturer, is aware and addressing the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    A company called BHSS ran one of the stainless guns for 6K rounds. According to BHSS, the firing pin plate broke at around 5000 rounds. The extractor broke at around 500 rounds. Replacing the extractor with an FN unit resulted in poor extraction. This is all from a thread on 1911forum.com. It sounds like Tisas, the manufacturer, is aware and addressing the matter.
    I broke a firing pin retaining plate on a genuine mid-1980s BHP so that's not a deal breaker. And I've cracked a few on a 1911 although I have never had one break in two was with my Browning.

C&S told me (IIRC) the Tisas extractor they checked was 38 RC and is within spec.

User Tag List