Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Gunsite 250 Defensive Pistol, July 9-13, 2018

AAR: Gunsite 250 Defensive Pistol, July 9-13, 2018

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this forum for over a year now, but just joined, mainly so I could post this AAR. This class was a 17th birthday present to me, from my dad. I'd been into pistol shooting for about 3 years, but this was my first class. Thanks to this site and places like Kyle Defoor's YouTube channel, I felt like I had a decent idea of how to shoot (or at least look like I kind of knew what I was doing). I used an early 70s built Colt Combat Commander. It had a Wilson combat beavertail, fresh springs, tuned Wilson extractor and extended ejector, and stock GI sights with the front painted orange by me. The rest was stock. I used Wilson ETM mags, a Blade Tech holster, and Raven Concealment mag carriers. I had no gear issues during the class.
    The class called for 1,000 rounds of ball ammo, and 50 rounds of frangible. I shot around 960 ball and close to all 50 frangible. Bringing a few extra might not be a bad idea. There were four instructors during the week: Bill Halvorsen (lead instructor), Matt Ostrander, Joe Avila, and Jerry Parsley. All of them were top notch, and had plenty of real world experience. There were 3 250 classes going on while we were there, with one of them being a youth class. There were 21 shooters in our class, of various backgrounds, with no cops (there were some in the other class though). Glocks and 1911s were the 2 main pistols seen, with 2 M&Ps, 1 Sig P320, 1 2011, and 1 IWI Baby Eagle. There were no major problems except for a Cerakoted Glock that was having issues returning to battery. The gunsmith fixed that quickly.
    We used a square range, a smaller steel range right next to it, 3 shoot houses, and 2 outdoor simulators. The square range had 2 little huts. One to load mags in, and one to watch the other shooters in the shade. There were 3 large jugs of ice cold water and a container of Gatorade powder in the first one. We were divided into 2 relays, so while one was shooting the other could hydrate and load mags. The facilities were absolutely amazing. There was not a single piece of brass on the ground of the range when we showed up on the first day. Everything was immaculate and thoughtfully set up.

Monday:

We showed up at the classroom at 7:30. It was full, as there were 2 250 classes in it (the youth class was next door). We filled out some paperwork, and checked out the free stuff. The Gunsite COO, Ken Campbell, came in to talk to us about the history of Gunsite, the facilities, and of course Jeff Cooper. The instructors gave their backgrounds and the four rules were covered, along with some shooting basics, the combat triad, and the principles of the modern technique via PowerPoint.
    Afterwards, 9:30ish? We headed to the range. The instructors worked grip, stance, presentation from the holster, basic manipulations, and scanning, all dry. A Weaver stance was taught, but it became clear later on that they would tolerate isosceles as long as you could make hits at speed. They divided us into two relays, and started working controlled pairs at 3 yards from the low ready with an emphasis on trigger control, scanning, and that whole front sight press thing (I'm not sure they told us that enough). The targets were a silhouette with outlined portions on the upper chest and face (eyes and nose area) and a gun in the lower left corner. We then took a lunch break. I saw a couple people bring their own lunch, or eat somewhere else, but the easiest thing to do would probably just buy from the caterer. It gives you time to talk with other people and browse the pro shop.
    After lunch distances were increased, we started working from the holster and making headshots as well. They made it clear that you needed to holster slowly and reluctantly, the "speed reholster" was not allowed. Type 1 and 2 malfunction clearance was covered. Being a 1911 shooter, I'm pretty sure I had been the fastest tap rack in the west for a while, but such is life. Ken brought us Popsicles around 2:00, and we had plenty of time throughout the day to load mags and drink Gatorade while the other relay was shooting. We then went to the classroom for a dry fire lecture. Safety was emphasized and a ballistic dry fire target was loaned to everyone that wanted one. Dummy rounds were also given to everyone.

Tuesday:

The day started at the range at 8:00. The instructors were on the line early, giving 1-on-1 instruction to anyone that wanted it, which I thought was really nice. The day started off with some dry work, putting an empty case on our front sights, and pressing the trigger without it falling off. This was a huge challenge for me, as the front sight on my gun was so small the case usually fell off before I could even press the trigger. I didn't have much success but it was super rewarding the couple of times I was able to do it. We then did controlled pairs, type 3 malfunction clearance, hammers, and failure drills. Distances increased, but there was still plenty of shooting up close. It was a fun morning. During type 3 malfunction clearance, they taught us to retain our magazine under our strong side armpit. If we had a fresh mag, the old one would fall out when we brought the gun back on target. If we didn't, we still had a partial magazine retained under our arm. After lunch we had a one-on-one shoot off on steel targets at 10 and 15 yards. After that my iso-ish stance was mostly ignored. Ken brought us more Popsicles. We then moved on to turning targets. They gave us 2 seconds from the holster, and we either did 2 rounds to the chest or one headshot. Distances ranged from 3 to 7 yards. They told us by Friday the time would be cut down to 1.5 seconds.
    We then went to the classroom for a lecture on ballistics. We were told that the 9 vs. 45 argument was a waste of breath, and that they were basically equal. They told us to choose a quality defensive load and focus on shot placement. This is quite different from what Jeff Cooper used to say, and shows that Gunsite is changing with the times.

Wednesday:

We went to the classroom at 8:00 to watch a PowerPoint on combat mindset. Living in the "when" world instead of the "if" world was emphasized, (when this happens to me, not if) and the color codes were gone into in detail.
    We did some more range work, a combination of what we had been shooting for the past 2 days, and had another shoot off, this time with a single winner. I lost on my third round to the best shooter in the class, another 17 year old from Arkansas. After lunch, 2 kneeling positions were taught, speed kneeling and double kneeling. I much preferred double kneeling. Distances were increased out to 25. I had my first and only malfunction on this day, a failure to return to battery. I'm guessing the slide had got caught on the disconnector, but I didn't take the time to check. I didn't clean the gun at all that week, just kept it lubed. They also covered pivots and turns, as well as just basic left and right movement. Ken brought us more Popsicles, and this was starting to be the highlight of my day.
    Afterwards, we traveled to one of the shoot houses (can't remember which one) and Matt gave us the basics on footwork inside a house, pieing, working cover, concealment, and doorways, and things like that. Demonstration was done with a blue gun. "Ammo management is your responsibility, not ours." was drilled into our heads. Much like "front sight, press," I'm pretty sure I can hear that in my sleep now.

Thursday:

My relay went to the simulators while the other did more range work. I went to the shoot house (different one) first. I had a decent run, but I stayed too close to the doorways. There was a no shoot target, but no hostage taker. Next was the donga (outdoor simulator). It was basically a wash with steel targets around certain corners. Targets with red bottoms were no shoots. I had a better run, but one off the targets went unnoticed by me until Joe started shouting "He sees you!"
    We went back to the range while the second relay did the simulators. They taught us braced kneeling and rollover prone at 25 yards. I shot worse with both of those than with standing. After lunch we work on the El Presidente. 3 targets at 10 yards, 2,2,2 speed load 2,2,2. We started facing up range and pivoted. Par time was 10 seconds. They subtract 3 points from 60 for every hit not in the chest zone, and 5 points for every hit not on the body. 5 points are subtracted for each second over par. My best score was an abysmal 31, but at least it was in 8.64. Next to the range is a smaller steel range. My relay went there to shoot dozier drills (5 pepper poppers in line). This was done both facing down range, and facing up range and pivoting. They also had us do it sitting at a table but didn't time us, and went over drawing while sitting and not flagging yourself.
    Afterwards we went back to the range for more el pres. fun while the other relay shot steel. We then do some strong hand only shooting. There were no Popsicles today, I was slightly bummed. We then break until 7:30 when the night shoot begins.
    Always having a flashlight on you is emphasized. The FBI and Harries techniques are both covered. Manipulations with a light are covered (they teach stowing the light under the strong side armpit) as well as light discipline. It is near dark when they finish. First, they taught shooting with no lights. Those of us without night sights were told to put the back of the slide onto the chest of the target and shoot. I shot hammers and this technique worked surprisingly well. We then shoot using both flashlight techniques, keeping the time that the light was on to a minimum. I was shooting better than I was during the day for some reason. We also did this with movement (single step to the left or right) incorporated.

Friday:

The second relay heads to the simulators for a final run while we do the school drill. It consists of using the turning targets, giving you 1.5 seconds to make a headshot at 3 yards. This is done twice. Distance increases to 7, and you have to make 2 body shots in that time (they might have given us 2 for this). Next is the same at 10 yards (2 seconds). And finally, 2 more to the body at 15 yards, starting standing and dropping to kneeling. We didn't do the prone string usually included in this drill. I score a 47/50.
    Next was the el pres. I don't remember my score but I'm sure it was still awful. We shoot on the move, forwards and backwards, and the instructors were sure to keep us all roughly inline. Safety was really emphasized here.
    We then move to the simulators. I shot the outdoor simulator first. It was a different one this time, and I forget what it was called. There were camouflage steel targets hidden behind vegetation and they were pretty hard to see. Distances got pretty far out and it was lots of fun. Next was a third indoor simulator. This was a pretty difficult house to clear (for me anyway). There was a no shoot holding a beer bottle, a hostage taker, and a target waiting outside a window. Apparently quite a few people got "shot in the back" by the guy outside the window. I had what was probably the most awkward verbal interaction with a no shoot target ever, but overall it was a good run through the house.
    After lunch it's time for the final shoot off. It consisted of 2 small, round, falling steel targets at 7 and 10? yards on each side and a pepper popper divided into 2 separate sections. I end up losing to the father of the best shooter in the class. We were about even, but he made a better hit on his popper and it fell first. I should have driven mine down with a second round. His son went on to win the shoot off. We then go to the classroom to fill out evaluations of the instructors and the school in general. We then get certificates. Afterwards we go to the Sconce (Jeff Cooper's old house) where Mrs. Cooper had lemonade and brownies waiting for everyone. It was a really cool house, and we got to go down stairs and see some of Jeff's "armory," and upstairs to see his office. Both places looked like they had remained virtually untouched since his death. It was a really neat experience and Mrs. Cooper was an excellent hostess.

Lessons learned:

Drink Gatorade, not just water. Leg cramps suck

Negatives:

Not many. I would have liked to see the instructors do more work inside the house. Maybe have all the students stand on the catwalk and watch one of them clear the building? It's not like they'd be giving anything away, we shot at different houses anyway when it was our turn.
    Class got out around 3:30 everyday. I don't know how the other students felt but I wouldn't have minded going for another hour.

Conclusions: I had an absolute blast. The Gunsite facilities were truly world class and I couldn't have asked for better instructors. Everyone was given individual attention and pushed at an appropriate pace for their skill level. I was never talked down to because of my age, and I don't think I met a single boring person. By the last day, the newer shooters didn't look new anymore. They were fast and accurate. Their curriculum is reasonable, and has been updated to keep up with the times. People complaining about being forced to shoot weaver either haven't trained there recently, or if they did they showed the instructors that they were consistently crappy at making hits under speed. If time and money allow, I would love to break in a fresh out of the mold G17.5 at a 350 class next summer.

Obligatory dirty gun photos:

More photos from the class can be found here: https://www.gunsite.com/photos/july-...tol-halvorsen/
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Excellent write up!

Welcome to the Raven family!

I am envious of your young eyes. Even with the orange paint, I would have daunting difficulty with the GI-sized sights these days.

Rosco

Site Supporter
    And it's great to see a really young guy who can write well becoming part of our crew! Welcome!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Welcome to the Raven family!

I am envious of your young eyes. Even with the orange paint, I would have daunting difficulty with the GI-sized sights these days.

Rosco
    I share Rosco's envy. Really well written review!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    And it's great to see a really young guy who can write well becoming part of our crew! Welcome!
    Agree. Great writing.

Thanks guys! Finding that tiny front sight when we were going fast was definitely a challenge.

So much to love about this. Among others:

*A sensible, mature, responsible 17-year-old who writes more clearly, crisply and evocatively than a lot of experienced lawyers.

*A 17-year-old who will be an articulate defender of 2A rights.

There is hope for the future.

I can only add to the praise of your articulate writing (and with not even a single spelling error!), and note that, as a fellow Gunsite-attendee almost four times your age but who didn't perform as well as you did, it's nice to see someone having complimentary things to say about Gunsite instead of bashing "the old guys" (Col. Cooper) and "the old ways", as happens too often nowadays (elsewhere than at p-f, of course ).

Good job and welcome!
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Excellent writing!
    I commend you for taking the 250 and your positive attitude.
    Welcome to the GUNSITE “Family”-safe and good shooting to you.

User Tag List