Thread: Week 278: Stress Inoculation

Week 278: Stress Inoculation

Many thanks to Clusterfrack for this excellent contribution to the Drill of the Week!!!

---

Results may be posted until August 20th, 2018.

Designed by: Clusterfrack
    Range: 7 yards (or scaled for dryfire target)
    Target: USPSA Metric, IDPA, or similar
    Start position: Holstered, concealed
    Rounds fired: 1 shot per day, dry or live fire, for at least 5 consecutive days

Do you ever worry that you will screw up your draw when it matters most? This drill is designed to inoculate you against the stress of on-demand performance. The goal is to be able to perform consistently even when you consciously fear failure.

Procedure: For at least 5 consecutive days, schedule a time to do this drill.

If you have a shot timer: Determine your par time to draw your gun from concealment and fire one shot (live or dry) to the lower A or -0 of the target. The par time should be around %120 of your best times. E.g. if your consistent best time to draw and fire is 1.5s, the par time for this drill is 1.5 * 120% = 1.8s.

Imagine a scenario where you have to draw your gun to defend yourself or those you love. Concentrate on how important it is to NOT SCREW UP YOUR DRAW. Think about how you only have one chance, and imagine that this is the single most important draw and shot of your life.

Optional: Hold your breath until it’s uncomfortable.

With timer: On the beep, draw and fire (or dryfire) one shot.
    Without timer: Count to 10. Draw and fire (or dryfire) one shot.

Pass: 1 hit (or called dryfire hit) in the A or -0 (under par time if timer used), with “normal" draw mechanics.

During each day, any time you think about the upcoming drill, focus on how important it is that you do it correctly. You will only get one chance. Don’t screw it up!

If you practice your draw, do it at a different time than when you execute this drill.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, cover garment used
    Did you use a timer?
    Daily log for at least 5 days: pass/fail, what happened, how you felt
    Anything else you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

G19 in Keepers Concealment. Normal pants and t-shirt worn most every day.

Timer used every day, Competition Electronics Pocket Pro I.

Target used was a Valor Ridge VR-16. 8" circle for body shots.

Log:

Day 1= 1.18
    Day 2= 1.21
    Day 3= 1.08
    Day 4= 1.20
    Day 5= 1.15

All 5 days were a first-round hit for a pass.

I really emphasized a good cover garment clearance and solid grip out of the holster. All iterations were done stone cold. No warm ups, no dry draws, nor even dry practice during this five day period. I clearly saw the front sight each and every shot and made a point to drive the top edge to the upper vitals each time.

If you notice, day 3 was about .10 seconds faster and that is because I made a point to heavily prep the trigger on the way out and the shot broke during extension rather than at extension. Still saw a good sight picture, it is just that the timing was different than my normal "cold" times of 1.1ish. I could speed up, but the accuracy would suffer and I would rather guarantee a solid first-round hit, as that is the most important one.

When I normally practice the draw, I get my times sub 1 second (.8s-.9s) consistently with accuracy. BUT, that is warmed up, nerves primed, and ready to go. This drill is great in that it shows you what your cold performance is, and I appreciate that.

Sometimes it is very tempting to do a bunch of draws and one shots in a row, get those time down, and think that is your normal. It is not.

Great drill Clusterfrack. The first hit is what is important, and this drill emphasizes the point.
    Last edited by Reid Henrichs; 07-26-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

All dry fire. I will be running this one again live-fire over my next several trips to the outdoor range.
    Simulated 7 yards - scaled IPSC target.
    Glock 19 at 4:30 in a JMCK IWB#3
    Short sleeve button-up shirt for a cover garment.

Day one:
    Shot timer with par set at 1.8
    Barely passed due to a flubbed clear of the cover garment. The shot was on, time was close.

Day two:
    Passed. Had to double clutch the cover garment, but still had time to spare.

Day three:
    Passed with ease. I think I am going to drop the par time.

Day four:
    Shot timer with par set at 1.6
    I will call this one a fail. It was so close that I can't call it. The shot looked good but may have been over time.

Day five:
    Shot timer with par set at 1.6
    Smoked it.

I have likely been concentrating a bit too much on competition style training. Time to ratchet up the carry training.

I’m still logging results but I thought I would post today’s result. I had just finished a practice session with Cheby. It was hot and I was tired. I got my carry gear on and stood at the 7 yd line.

I exhaled and held my breath and thought of the worst scenario. I won’t go into details, but the sketch of it was that I wasn’t going to draw another breath no matter what happened. If I missed the par (1.20s) or the shot, I would die knowing I had failed to save my loved ones. It was super stressful.

Center A hit. Just under par.

Jeez. This drill sucks. What asshole thought it up?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-26-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I was at indoor range this week, working part time, and this intrigued me.
    Turns out, failure can teach also.
    For 3 days (M-W) set a time end of workday(1640h).
    Started w/Gen5 17, concealed under jacket, GLS holster. Timer at 2 seconds. Fail, overtime with centered hits.
    Frustrated, switched gun and time-morning@0750. Most important, switched attitude to “determined”
    Center hits with G19(little shorter “feels” faster in 1.89, 1.78. These shots were cold no warmup or practice.
    Probably try this again next week.
    Good mental exercise-thanks!

Thinking long and hard about this drill, I think it would be a good idea for me to start every dry and live fire session with this. I definitely want to thank @Clusterfrack and @Mr_White for sharing it.

Gun: CZ P-07
    Holster: JMCK AIWB 2.5
    Concealment: T-shirt
    Par time: 1.2s
    Breath hold until discomfort

Day 1: Dryfire
    Draw under par: yes
    Draw mechanics normal: yes
    A-zone hit?: No. Close C.
    Fail.
    Notes: breath hold made me feel rushed, even though I had plenty of time to make par. I rushed the draw and trigger press and broke a C.

Day 2: Dryfire
    A-zone hit?: Y
    Pass
    Notes: after the beep, my draw, presentation, and press felt relaxed.

Day 3: Live fire
    1.19s A
    Pass
    Notes: see post above.

Day 4: Live fire
    1.17s A
    Pass

Day 5: Dryfire
    A-zone hit?: Y
    Notes: Since this was the last day of the logged drill, I tried to add as much pressure as I could. I thought of another awful scenario, and used an extra long breath hold. The timer delay felt like it took forever. On the beep, my draw felt automatic, and the sights were stable and on target.

I kind of hated this drill, but it helps me maintain the attitude that it’s like me to perform well under pressure when I consciously fear failure.

I’m going to continue doing Stress Inoculation, but with some variations to keep it fresh and stressful.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-29-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m going to continue doing Stress Inoculation, but with some variations to keep it fresh and stressful.
    I hope you plan to share your variations..

Only 4 days of shooting recorded, as a trip begins tomorrow.
    G43 in pocket holster, pocketed, with hand on pistol(one carry mode for trip)-same start as “Wizard Drill”, FWIW.
    IDPA target, 7 yards. Shot “cold” in the AM, Monday-Thursday. Timer set at 2 second par.
    1.73, 1.64, 1.63, 1.49 seconds, all shots in “0”-clean.
    I did not make any specific notes each day. I did “pressurize” myself today, with a +10 second breath hold-worked out fine.
    I appreciate this drill for its simple, but diabolical nature. I remember thinking “this is taking too long”, but focused on seeing a clear sight and working the trigger carefully. Concentration on the fundamentals will see one through.

User Tag List