Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: griffin armament

RFI: griffin armament

LittleLebowski, no need to be short with me.

I’m open to advice, based on the explanation of my concerns with regard to warranty and service.

As for the concerns you expressed with regard to a serviceable can, I’m not seeing it. You don’t know what experience I have with select-fire/cans, as I’ve never had the need to bring it up. I suspect you’re reading a tone into my words that isn’t there.

Not sure why you are asking these questions if you have the requisite experience to make an informed decision...

It sounds like you want a Griffin Armament can, get one then. Everyone else is saying they are shady and there really is no need for a can like that. Take or don't take the advice. Move along.

OK, AAC is owned by the Cerberus group. Gonna be around a long time. Dead Air is owned by Bergara, good financial backing, prolly gonna be around a long time. SIG has been around a long time, not going anywhere due to their commercial and govt contract success (SIG makes great cans, I own one). Griffin lacks integrity. There's a whole bunch of people (some in this thread) that also own select fire (in this thread, but not me) that have experience with suppressors and select fire. They're not worried about select fire and suppressors. Furthermore, how often are you doing mag dumps with select fire? Eleven years ago, AAC showed that their suppressors can handle select fire just fine (http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...e08188afb2a04e) and the state of the industry has moved forward since then.

I don't know a single centerfire rifle can user that worries about cleaning their can. Folks with more knowledge than I say not to worry about it. My advice is to find a 7.62 can from a company you trust, only use brakes (as a sacrificial blast baffle), and check bore alignment with a rod on the rifles you use it on.
    #RESIST

Excellent information. Thank you.

Again, an older can, they are probably all (if you buy quality) as tough as this M4-2000 nowadays. Note the physical and chemical abuse heaped upon this can and AAC's response was "go ahead and use the dip on the entire can." "The dip" is very much a chemical agent of the last resort and AAC didn't blink.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...722007/?page=1
    #RESIST

The McMaster Carr rod recommended for checking alignment on a .30 can is part number 8893K217
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/3824/=1dv72yx
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 07-25-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    #RESIST

I have a griffin alpha (old name for paladin) and i have been very happy with it. I’m waiting on a stamp for a recce 5 and a dead air wolverine. I like the griffin taper mount interface and the many choices with flash hiders, comps, and flash comps. I like that they have multiple suppressors that work with the taper mount, including the Optimus micro 22 can. I use the paladin on a 22 rifle sometimes, I like I can take it apart to clean. My next purchase will be the micro. I don’t give a crap about a companies politics, or if they copied some other company, I just care about the product. Yes I have Troy sights and vertical grips on most of my rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    OK, AAC is owned by the Cerberus group. Gonna be around a long time. Dead Air is owned by Bergara, good financial backing, prolly gonna be around a long time. SIG has been around a long time, not going anywhere due to their commercial and govt contract success (SIG makes great cans, I own one). Griffin lacks integrity. There's a whole bunch of people (some in this thread) that also own select fire (in this thread, but not me) that have experience with suppressors and select fire. They're not worried about select fire and suppressors. Furthermore, how often are you doing mag dumps with select fire? Eleven years ago, AAC showed that their suppressors can handle select fire just fine (http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...e08188afb2a04e) and the state of the industry has moved forward since then.

I don't know a single centerfire rifle can user that worries about cleaning their can. Folks with more knowledge than I say not to worry about it. My advice is to find a 7.62 can from a company you trust, only use brakes (as a sacrificial blast baffle), and check bore alignment with a rod on the rifles you use it on.
    Do you mind elaborating about the Griffin lacking integrity? I pay attention to your posts and respect your opinion, but I'm not sure I've seen this much vitriol directed at Griffin before.

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    Do you mind elaborating about the Griffin lacking integrity? I pay attention to your posts and respect your opinion, but I'm not sure I've seen this much vitriol directed at Griffin before.
    First off, they have excellent machining and some good stuff. No hate on your Griffin stuff. It will serve you well.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    I don’t give a crap about a companies politics, or if they copied some other company, I just care about the product.
    While i have agreed with that sentiment at times in the past, especially when it comes to things like the Troy PR fiasco, I'm not sure you can just completely ignore the issues, or that you can make the Troy issue a 1:1 with the Griffin issue.

For me, it's as much about company longevity as anything else. That matters more to me when we're talking about something like a can vs. something like a folding sight.

Companies with low integrity tend not to be around long. Couple that with pour decision making ("front toward arabs") and possible copyright infringement or patent issues in the future, and they may be around even less long.

Additionally, sometimes people copy another design and improve it, but far more often they copy a design and make it cheaper. They have to in order to sell it. if it cost the same as the original nobody would buy it. To make it cost less, they have to make it for less. To make it for less, they often have to make it less good.

All of that said, there's "good", and then there's "good enough", and frankly the private-owner suppressor market is about as harsh as the offroad-trucks-that-never-see-mud market, so just like it probably doesn't matter when someone installs a shitty lift kit, it probably doesn't matter if a copy of a design is less good since it probably won't ever get used to breaking.

User Tag List