Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice Ammo for Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Gotta be out of 6".
    Perfecta is loaded in Italy by Fiocchi. Most of their 38 Special loads are tested in a barrel with a length listed as 7.710NV. So, 984 fps would seem to be from a non-vented 7.71" barrel.
    http://fiocchi.gunsamerica.com/fiocchi_catalog.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Perfecta is loaded in Italy by Fiocchi. Most of their 38 Special loads are tested in a barrel with a length listed as 7.710NV. So, 984 fps would seem to be from a non-vented 7.71" barrel.
    http://fiocchi.gunsamerica.com/fiocchi_catalog.pdf
    I'd love to find some Perfecta. My go-to source (Walmart) dried up after the earthquake in Italy shut the factory down in early 2017, I think, and I haven't seen it since except in .380. Where are you finding it these days?

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    I'd love to find some Perfecta. My go-to source (Walmart) dried up after the earthquake in Italy shut the factory down in early 2017, I think, and I haven't seen it since except in .380. Where are you finding it these days?

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    $230/K
    Free shipping for orders over $250. My last order I added a few boxes of shotgun slugs that I needed anyways.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/314-38-special

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up a box each of GECO .38SPL and .357M.

The case mouths do not appear to have any crimp at all. They are not flared out, like the FM junk I've commented on elsewhere, but just completely straight.

I'll shoot them carefully and see how it goes, but do not think I'll reorder .357s. Might be OK for .38s.

I've seen WWB cases in .38 that were so screwed up they would be hilarious if they weren't potentially so dangerous. Pretty much signed off on never buying WWB again except as a "worst case" reliability check for 9mm.

I've had decent luck with brass case Monarch when it's on sale at Academy. Haven't reloaded any of it yet. It's fairly warm, but no problems.

The Precision Delta wadcutters have been good, but dirty. At $0.17/rd when they were on sale, I'm waiting for the next good sale.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just double checked. 984fps

Wish it was a flat point and it would be a decent all around load.
    Bumping, because I ran a box of this through the K6 again today, along with some golden saber 125 midrange .357.

I know you’ve shot both loads recently, so I’d be curious as to your take. Mine, after running a cylinder with 3 perfectas and 3 golden sabers (because I had to double-check) is that there’s a little bit more muzzle flip with the .357, but I actually find the 158 .38 to have just as punishing a recoil impulse straight back. Put another way, that’s a stout .38 load, and I don’t really find the hotter .357 to be any more unpleasant to shoot in the little Kimber.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Bumping, because I ran a box of this through the K6 again today, along with some golden saber 125 midrange .357.

I know you’ve shot both loads recently, so I’d be curious as to your take. Mine, after running a cylinder with 3 perfectas and 3 golden sabers (because I had to double-check) is that there’s a little bit more muzzle flip with the .357, but I actually find the 158 .38 to have just as punishing a recoil impulse straight back. Put another way, that’s a stout .38 load, and I don’t really find the hotter .357 to be any more unpleasant to shoot in the little Kimber.
    There is significantly more recoil with the perfecta ammo than the Winchester​ 130 grain +p round I use for carry in my m64. My m64 is also about 8oz lighter than my m19. Those perfecta rounds nearly feel like standard 158 grain magnums in the m19. Shooting them in the heavier gun back to back with the magnums there is a noticable difference though.

I wish I had a chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Make that three of us.

I'll only shoot about a box during a practice session, and do a basic cleaning when I get home.
    But I've got a one day class coming up next month, so I'll see how bad things get.
    Same here. Similar poi to Gold Dot or Win 130 gr as well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Same here. Similar poi to Gold Dot or Win 130 gr as well for me.
    Yeah, that was my thought too, and it seems to work. Keep my carry ammo and practice ammo shooting as close to the same poa/poi as possible, as long as I do my part.

I probably put close to 200 rounds of the Federal 130 gr though my 642 of the course of the class. I only had a couple lightly stuck cases but they came out on the second try.

I picked up 500 rounds of tulammo 130gr 38 special maybe 18 months ago because the price was right. In every gun I've tried it in ejection has been sticky, to put it mildly. I've often needed to use tools. After trying it in about a half dozen smiths just out of some sense of duty to make sure it wasn't the gun, I put it aside and have been using my own reloads or precision delta wadcutters for practice. I'd recommend staying away from the steel 38s.

(for the curious, the only thing I see on the tula boxes where I would expect the lot number is "H14," and they definitely don't seem to be loaded hot. Recoil is minimal and the primers look fine. But extraction is a bear.)

Outside the edit window; sorry. Just checked my logs. I actually bought 1k and ran 500 and change through 9 S&Ws. J, K, and N frames. All the same lot number, all similar issues. It was least severe (kind of stiff, but doable with your hand) with all steel recently thoroughly cleaned guns with full length ejector rods, it was most severe in titanium cylinders (dead blow hammer kind of severe). Everything else was in the middle.

User Tag List