Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice Ammo for Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    90% of my revolver shooting is with these two, clean burning and consistent.
    Black Hills 148 HBWC - quite accurate
    Fed AE 130 FMJ (AE38K)
    This is my primary revolver training ammo as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I have no negative recommendations except about steel-cased anything (which I do shoot, but only in Russian-made rifles).

Rather, I simply try to find a relatively economical load in the given caliber, typically in FMJ or LSWC, which hits as close-to-correspondence in POA/POI (and in "felt-recoil", if possible) as whatever premium DocGKR-approved CCW/LEO load I've already tested and found good.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think perfecta rates their 158 rn at 960fps
    That sounds about right, against FA’s 910 or so. The difference is definitely noticeable in a j-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    That sounds about right, against FA’s 910 or so. The difference is definitely noticeable in a j-frame.
    Just double checked. 984fps

Wish it was a flat point and it would be a decent all around load.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I have no negative recommendations except about steel-cased anything (which I do shoot, but only in Russian-made rifles).
    So to be clear, have you shot a decent quantity of steel case ammo in revolvers and if so, what was the negative experience?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So to be clear, have you shot a decent quantity of steel case ammo in revolvers and if so, what was the negative experience?
    I can't answer for Sawbones, but I have two cents to put in on steel case .38...

I shot some Tula 130gr FMJ from my 442, and I had sticky/sluggish extraction. I ended up plucking a few cases out by hand. None of them stuck hard, but brass cased ammo has not given me any similar issues. It felt pretty hot for 130gr .38 ball ammo, but I didn't chrono any. It was a bit dirty, even compared to Winchester or Federal 130gr ball. At near 9mm prices, it's probably the cheapest factory .38 ammo out there.

All that said, I reload most of my own practice ammo any more, and wouldn't go out of my way to purchase more Tula, despite the low price.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sorry for any misunderstanding. I didn't say I'd shot steel-cased ammo in revolvers.
    I was merely repeating what others have recommended against use of steel-cased ammunition in both handguns and long guns designed around brass-cased ammunition.

(My experience with steel-cased ammunition has been limited to Russian rifles (in which I shoot nothing but steel-cased ammo) and a bit in semiautomatic pistols. I have no experience at all with shooting steel-cased ammo in revolvers.)

The intended point of my post #12 was not against steel-cased ammo, but rather to highlight my personal emphasis about desired characteristics when choosing practice ammunition, which is to have duplication, insofar as possible, of the carried load, in terms of correspondence for POI/POA and even felt-recoil, for the cheaper (typically with a FMJ or SWC bullet) practice load.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Fed AE 130 FMJ (AE38K)
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This is my primary revolver training ammo as well.
    Make that three of us.

I'll only shoot about a box during a practice session, and do a basic cleaning when I get home.
    But I've got a one day class coming up next month, so I'll see how bad things get.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just double checked. 984fps

Wish it was a flat point and it would be a decent all around load.
    Gotta be out of 6". That’s plenty hot; cor-bon’s +p+ "RCMP/FBI" load was an honest 1000fps out of 4" and it was way hotter than the big box’s FBI loads, which all went between 890 and 900 out of 4V, IIRC.

No wonder it feels snappy to me in a J-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Gotta be out of 6". That’s plenty hot; cor-bon’s +p+ "RCMP/FBI" load was an honest 1000fps out of 4" and it was way hotter than the big box’s FBI loads, which all went between 890 and 900 out of 4V, IIRC.

No wonder it feels snappy to me in a J-frame.
    I'd be interested with the actual chronograph numbers.

Winchester's 130 grain +p clocks about 920fps and the perfecta is snappier.

User Tag List