Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops Can't Shoot! - Minor Rant

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    What I don’t understand is the LEO management idea that this is in any way acceptable, but what do I know about their pressures and constraints.
    When I asked my father why he didn't go for Inspector (Detroit PD equivalent of Captain) he said "Because lieutenant is as high as you can get without being a politician". (Which, 30 years later, was my explanation for why I didn't make it past Sergeant First Class, but never mind.)

So my theory, FWIW, would be that "LEO management" is afraid of the optics of trying to maintain high standards of marksmanship and general combatives skill, from a "maintaining staffing levels" POV as well as PR/PC.

Also, the term "LEO Management" may be an issue in and of itself: Too much management, not enough leadership.
    Last edited by Drang; 07-21-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Spelllling is importent.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Negative, ghostrider. That's Organic Body Armor. It's the latest trend.
    Third hand info, but I've heard of a bad guy who was so fat that when he took one or more .45 Gold Dots to the chest, he dropped to his knees and put his hands up. I gathered that cellulite can simulate ballistic gel reasonably well.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kan S LaTrans View Post
    I am sure a lot of you are also tired of hearing that particular refrain, or at least seeing it on interwebz forums.

The tac doods are there. One of them pipes up and says "Where are all the cops, I wanted to show them how to shoot".

My daughter said..."You mean you'd show them how not to shoot. Because...Dude, you all just got beat by a bunch of cops...and a 14 year old girl".
    A most excellent response from your daughter...
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 07-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Attachment 28268

Yes, the speech bubble coming out of his ass is intentional.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

The tacticool doods were stacked up behind us, watching us shoot and I caught bits of "....tactically speaking, this is....blah blah blah". We went to 3, put our cards in and I watched the tac-doods shoot. I an say one thing. Everything they learned about shooting, they learned from YouTube or from some video game. They looked like a bunch of TV Seals crossbred with monkeys fucking footballs shooting guns. I mean, it was like....BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG HIT BANG BANG BANG BANG HIT...
    I'm at stage where I generally couldn't care less what others do. Dress up and dump mags at Yeager's place until cars catch on fire and you get a photo...fine with me. So ranting about this isn't really my thing. It probably would have bothered me when I was younger.

But I'm confused. Who were these guys? These guys were nobodies with no LEO/MIL experience who thought they were going to show up and show out?
    Last edited by BigD; 07-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.

I just let my shooting do my talking, tends to shut people up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I'm at stage where I generally couldn't care less what others do. Dress up and dump mags at Yeager's place until cars catch on fire and you get a photo...fine with me. So ranting about this isn't really my thing. It probably would have bothered me when I was younger.

But I'm confused. Who were these guys? These guys were nobodies with no LEO/MIL experience who thought they were going to show up and show out?
    If my keen investigative and observational skills are working above "neutral"....my guess is that at least one of them is a diesel mechanic or diesel truck salesman based on the stickers on the back of his oil burner.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    “Only the Sith deal in absolutes!”

I think that the premise that, “cops can’t shoot,” isn’t completely untrue...some of the best shooters I know are cops. And some of the worst shooters I know are cops.

Like the general public, many cops have an inflated sense of preparedness. The difference is that cops HAVE TO go into the belly of the beast, as a function of their job description. So the likelihood of cops getting into a tangle involving gunplay is good.

I’m continually amazed, when I qualify or train with other cops, at the level of misinformation that many unfortunately operate under. At my last qualification, there were a number of guys who told me that I shouldn’t shoot 100% on qualifications, because that could be used against me in the event that I was involved in a, “bad shoot.” It’s like the, “bro-science,” of shooting...bad information that gets passed on like a busted meme.

I set the bar high for myself, as a matter of personal pride, and also because of my obsession with precision. If I am in the position to call 911 for help or another unit for backup, I want the guy/gal that is coming to save me be a badass with a gun, have the wit of a Friar’s Club comedian, medic skills like an ER doc and the athleticism necessary to kick ass for several minutes without a break. Since that is a lofty order, I try and bring those skills to the scene myself. I recommend all of my police peers to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I shouldn’t shoot 100% on qualifications, because that could be used against me in the event that I was involved in a, “bad shoot.” It’s like the, “bro-science,” of shooting...bad information that gets passed on like a busted meme.

I'd be as happy as a puppy with two peckers if that particular bit of stupidity would die. That ranks right up there with old hats who still carried a drop gun, or the ones who would tell people "If ya shoot 'em on the porch, drag 'em inside before we get there".

Can you imagine for a second how this would go in court:

"Officer X. Is it true that you barely qualified to the minimum standards of your department?" - Shyster

"Uh...yes" - Officer X

"So, then by your admission, you are barely competent to served as an armed police officer in the city you are sworn to protect?" - Shyster

"Uhhhhh....well....uh...." - Officer X

"Or, could it be Officer X...and remember you're under oath...that you purposefully qualified with a lesser score than which you were capable of so that if you were ever sued, or accused of involvement of a bad shooting, that you would be held to a lower standard than an officer who qualified with a better score?" - Shyster

"Well....ah....er...." Officer X (who is now totally fucked)

"Which is it Officer X? Are you incompetent, or are you a liar who wantonly manipulated an official department score for your own benefit?" - Shyster

If anyone here doesn't think that a shyster lawyer with more than fifteen minutes experience hasn't heard every single old wive's tail from around a locker room is brand new. If that doesn't grab your attention, then remember...WE are under oath. THEY are not, and they are free to float any bullshit "theory" they want to in front of the jury right up until the judge tells them to stop.

No matter what happens, Officer X is in a career ending trick bag because he followed bad, stupid, old hat advice.

Ever hear of that old saying "Suck one cock, you're a cocksucker for life"? Same in the job..."Tell one lie, and you're a liar for life" and nothing is going to save your credibility on the stand.

Over my career I knew a lot of other officers who survived on pure shithouse luck, or because the chud they were up against just happened to suck more than they did at that particular moment. Luck is an asshole, and I have never trusted him.
    Last edited by Kan S LaTrans; 07-22-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Here's a loud mouth pud who showed up at a 3 Gun match in Prescott in March. He works at an LGS in Tucson and is one of those gun counter commandos who has an opinion on EVERYTHING and starts EVERY sentence with "Tactically speaking...." and "Cops can't shoot..."

The first pic is him fumble fucking his rifle...and the second one is where ge got DQ'd for letting a round go over the barricade and over the berm.
    Don't be a hater Bra! Even an ex Navy Seal can have a bad day...LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Don't be a hater Bra! Even an ex Navy Seal can have a bad day...LMAO
    Ex Harbor Seal maybe...Leader Of Pie Eating Team One.

I ain't even gigging the guy because he has some size on him. I know some big guys who can put lead on steel. Hell, I grew some around the middle after I retired...but it's the whole tacticool thing and the operator beard...but so far as I can tell...he don't know how to run a gun.

User Tag List