Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops Can't Shoot! - Minor Rant

We have 3 LEO USPSA Grandmasters locally. Only the most clueless individual would say cops can’t shoot.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    LOL, he should probably lose just a little more of that gut before he opens his mouth again
    Negative, ghostrider. That's Organic Body Armor. It's the latest trend.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We have 3 LEO USPSA Grandmasters locally. Only the most clueless individual would say cops can’t shoot.
    “Only the Sith deal in absolutes!”

I think that the premise that, “cops can’t shoot,” isn’t completely untrue...some of the best shooters I know are cops. And some of the worst shooters I know are cops.

Like the general public, many cops have an inflated sense of preparedness. The difference is that cops HAVE TO go into the belly of the beast, as a function of their job description. So the likelihood of cops getting into a tangle involving gunplay is good.

I’m continually amazed, when I qualify or train with other cops, at the level of misinformation that many unfortunately operate under. At my last qualification, there were a number of guys who told me that I shouldn’t shoot 100% on qualifications, because that could be used against me in the event that I was involved in a, “bad shoot.” It’s like the, “bro-science,” of shooting...bad information that gets passed on like a busted meme.

I set the bar high for myself, as a matter of personal pride, and also because of my obsession with precision. If I am in the position to call 911 for help or another unit for backup, I want the guy/gal that is coming to save me be a badass with a gun, have the wit of a Friar’s Club comedian, medic skills like an ER doc and the athleticism necessary to kick ass for several minutes without a break. Since that is a lofty order, I try and bring those skills to the scene myself. I recommend all of my police peers to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Kan S LaTrans you need to buy that young lady an upgrade after a performance like that. Time to take her back to the gun store or maybe get her some Gucci parts/custom work for that 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    “Only the Sith deal in absolutes!”

I think that the premise that, “cops can’t shoot,” isn’t completely untrue...some of the best shooters I know are cops. And some of the worst shooters I know are cops.

Like the general public, many cops have an inflated sense of preparedness. The difference is that cops HAVE TO go into the belly of the beast, as a function of their job description. So the likelihood of cops getting into a tangle involving gunplay is good.

I’m continually amazed, when I qualify or train with other cops, at the level of misinformation that many unfortunately operate under. At my last qualification, there were a number of guys who told me that I shouldn’t shoot 100% on qualifications, because that could be used against me in the event that I was involved in a, “bad shoot.” It’s like the, “bro-science,” of shooting...bad information that gets passed on like a busted meme.

I set the bar high for myself, as a matter of personal pride, and also because of my obsession with precision. If I am in the position to call 911 for help or another unit for backup, I want the guy/gal that is coming to save me be a badass with a gun, have the wit of a Friar’s Club comedian, medic skills like an ER doc and the athleticism necessary to kick ass for several minutes without a break. Since that is a lofty order, I try and bring those skills to the scene myself. I recommend all of my police peers to do the same.

This.

Most officers are content with passing (some just barely) the rather pitiful qualification courses (generally) they’re forced to shoot once or twice a year. The percentage who go out and truly train up is still rather saddening.

As for the “Don’t shoot 100%” advice, I can remember hearing that same tidbit from a detective mentor of mine back when I was an Explorer. “Don’t shoot expert because if you get in a situation and miss some lawyer will use it against you.”
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    This.

Most officers are content with passing (some just barely) the rather pitiful qualification courses (generally) they’re forced to shoot once or twice a year. The percentage who go out and truly train up is still rather saddening.

As for the “Don’t shoot 100%” advice, I can remember hearing that same tidbit from a detective mentor of mine back when I was an Explorer. “Don’t shoot expert because if you get in a situation and miss some lawyer will use it against you.”
    Right on! I started out as an Explorer too. It’s a good path.

Most cops (at least at my Agency) can’t shoot judging by the guys next to me at quals over the years and feedback from our FI’s. But...cops who show up at USPSA matches tend to be a huuuuge exception to that rule. Also, if you want to see some really wacky stuff at a match head on down to the 2 gun action challenge at Pima...it’s a pretty fun match but...whoa! There is some serious weird (“tacticaly”?) stuff going on with the folks who show up. It’s like a buzzaro dress up day for some of thoes guys.

Site Supporter
    I always encourage young officers that I know to train as much as they can in the shooting hobby. The teacher in me makes me point out that shooting skills, although essential, are one of several skills that cops must have. I like to say that common sense goes a long way in any profession.

Much like the general population, there is a huge disparity between people who train and compete and people who don’t.

Cops are no exception.

What I don’t understand is the LEO management idea that this is in any way acceptable, but what do I know about their pressures and constraints.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Some people can shoot, some can’t. It’s aptitude and motivation.

I will say that a friend of mine just graduated from a police academy and she got top shot or whatever they called the best shooter. I have a range here at the office and she came over to shoot her new Glock 17 and I can tell y’all that she has NO business handling a gun on her own. Beyond pathetic.

I used to shoot a lot competition around South Texas and there is always a smattering of local and Federal LE that would come shoot. Not a lot of talent from that pool, but some SWAT guys from Austin used to come down and stop everyone!

User Tag List