Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cops Can't Shoot! - Minor Rant

As a cop, I can say (as others here have) some cops can rock a pistol, and some are mediocre on a good day. The majority are average, just like in most activities in life.

I was at an IDPA match where I had to squad with some douche nozzles who spent the day talking about shooting Feds in the face because they were all going to round them up for the Obama/FEMA death camps. I just smiled and nodded a lot as did the guys who know where I work. It soured me on public matches where half the trucks have threeper and oath keeper stickers on the trucks...

I was sticking to shooting NRA TPC matches, as they are just cop matches. But the have been avoiding Texas the past few years for some reason.

Congrats on your daughter. Mine decided to be LEO as well. She seems very happy with it so far. But with only 4 years on, the grind has barely begun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

My sons, my daughter, and I shot the USPSA match in Tucson today. A couple of DPS guys showed up with their new FN pistols (FN-40LS), shooting out of duty gear. One of them saw my t-shirt "Black Labs Matter - Paws Up Don't Shoot" and commented. We did the secret handshake, talked shop, swapped lies. Introduced my sons, they talked shop....blah blah blah. The crux of the matter is, both of them were new to competition, but came out because they wanted extra trigger time on their new guns. So, I give them credit. They both shot decently especially after the first couple of stages where they got over the nerves and settled down. They said they would be back to shoot again and were going to try to bring more troopers with them...so that's a good sign.

I actually try to be cool to all the newbies...especially the regular folks who show up and you can tell they're nervous. I mean, LEOs aside, I want people who carry a gun legitimately to know how to run them safely and USPSA and IDPA are pretty good places to learn.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    As a cop, I can say (as others here have) some cops can rock a pistol, and some are mediocre on a good day. The majority are average, just like in most activities in life.

I was at an IDPA match where I had to squad with some douche nozzles who spent the day talking about shooting Feds in the face because they were all going to round them up for the Obama/FEMA death camps. I just smiled and nodded a lot as did the guys who know where I work. It soured me on public matches where half the trucks have threeper and oath keeper stickers on the trucks...

I was sticking to shooting NRA TPC matches, as they are just cop matches. But the have been avoiding Texas the past few years for some reason.

Congrats on your daughter. Mine decided to be LEO as well. She seems very happy with it so far. But with only 4 years on, the grind has barely begun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    She keeps threatening me with it. I tell her like I told her brothers. Go to college...I will pay for it. If she goes to college and gets her degree I will smooth her way onto any department she wants to work for. I will even call in every fed favor I have earned for working fifteen years on task force assignments and get her application to the right desk if she wants to go to the dark side. But she has to get her degree first. At least that way, if she does it and decides it's not for her, she will have a foundation to take her somewhere else.

For the most part...the douche population is pretty low at the club matches around here. Once in a while...maybe one in every 4 or 5 matches a douche squad shows up, but they show their ass and never end up coming back because they get embarrassed. My friends and I always squad together...sometimes we get a onesy or a pair added to us...so it's not a problem. We have been shooting together for so long, everyone knows us anyway and it's a camaraderie thing with other shooters and squads, we all give one another good natured shit. The ones giving other cops the most shit is us...unless there are some smoke eaters coming out to shoot then we have to draw the blue-red line and give them grief. They have better PR than we do.

I remember the first time I stepped into the box. I was fresh out of the academy standing there in softball shorts a softball jersey, one of those stupid mesh and foam baseball caps...and my Sam Browne belt with a Model 19 Smith, two speedloaders in pouches, and four more stuck half and half over the top of my belt. I had butterflies going and I remember Robbie Leatham came over and said...."Don't do anything retarded. Aim your fucking gun, and press the trigger. Don't slap the shit out of it. Mostly, be safe and have fun". (Robbie is the most foul mouthed mormon you will ever meet). But when the "Shooter ready...stand by....BEEP" came, I shot smooth and clean. I didn't shoot fast, I just shot smooth...but I aimed, rolled the trigger, and reloaded as smoothly as I could. I didn't rush, I didn't over run my gun or myself and I just concentrated on getting my hits and making my reloads.

There were three or four other guys there shooting wheelguns. I was the only cop, and damned sure the only one using duty leather...but one guy Vic Pickett who was one of the best wheelgunners ever was there, so I started watching him. Les Benkston was there, and another guy who's name escapes me, but he was really good too. I came in dead last in REVOLVER, but not by a lot. The next week, I showed up with a duty belt, but with just my holster and four dual speedloader pouches on it (I figured that if the balloon was going to go up for me, it would be on duty and I would be using duty gear so I competed in duty gear). I went from being a good shooter on the PD range, to being a good all around shooter. I learned to do all the things we never learned in the academy in 1988, like shooting on the move, reloading...everything that wasn't "shoot two, load two" or 3, 7, 15, 25 yards from static at B27s.

People will say "Competishun will getz ya killed on da stretz"....but I don't see how learning to actually shoot is a bad thing.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Cops Can't Shoot! - Minor Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I just let my shooting do my talking, tends to shut people up.
    It’s been my experience that people who are really good at something let their performance speak for itself.

(Most of the time.)
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 07-23-2018 at 05:53 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kan S LaTrans View Post
    People will say "Competishun will getz ya killed on da stretz"....but I don't see how learning to actually shoot is a bad thing.
    I don't think that anyone here will disagree with you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It’s been my experience that people who are really good at something let their performance speak for itself.

(Most of the time.)
    I just don't see the sense in engaging with a bunch of douche canoes, down at their level. Nor do I think it's commendable to encourage ones teenage daughter to do the same. That "oh yeah?" attitude really should be left in the grade school sand box. It's not as if you're going to change their minds on anything. Out perform them and they'll have an excuse for it. Never once have I seen one of them say, "You're right, I was an ass hat." or anything even close. By puffing your chest out in response you're just becoming one more in a bag of dicks. There's that old adage about rolling around in the mud with a pig...…….
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-23-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I just don't see the sense in engaging with a bunch of douche canoes, down at their level. Nor do I think it's commendable to encourage ones teenage daughter to do the same. That "oh yeah?" attitude really should be left in the grade school sand box. It's not as if you're going to change their minds on anything. Out perform them and they'll have an excuse for it. Never once have I seen one of them say, "You're right, I was an ass hat." or anything even close. By puffing your chest out in response you're just becoming one more in a bag of dicks. There's that old adage about rolling around in the mud with a pig...…….
    Not that I necessarily disagree but at some point fools like that need their egos checked and to be reminded of just where they fall in. I know in many street situations such call-outs can lend itself to getting beaten, stabbed or shot but at a point something’s got to give when it comes to raging arrogance going unchecked.

I know, it’s hard to be better or right if you’re dead.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Not that I necessarily disagree but at some point fools like that need their egos checked and to be reminded of just where they fall in. I know in many street situations such call-outs can lend itself to getting beaten, stabbed or shot but at a point something’s got to give when it comes to raging arrogance going unchecked.

Only fragile egos are offended by arrogance. If it isn't causing you physical or material harm it really doesn't require a response. By responding, you don't put them in their place, that's a fallacy to believe that because, in their mind they'll justify anything. So, in the end you haven't achieved anything other than the venting of your own frustration, that your own ego has told you is necessary.

If you want to use the same yardstick of severity to measure predatory street behavior and ass hats at gun games then you're on your own.

My generation was taught an old axiom: sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

We seem to have totally forgotten that as a collective.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-23-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post

It's been covered: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....onal-Beat-Down
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Yeah I know. I actually have that thread saved.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List