Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops Can't Shoot! - Minor Rant

Cops Can't Shoot! - Minor Rant

I am sure a lot of you are also tired of hearing that particular refrain, or at least seeing it on interwebz forums.

Tonight...I shot a steel match in Phoenix. It's one of my regular weekly matches. My sons were both able to come shoot it too. Usually only my oldest can shoot this one with me because my youngest is still on FTO (he graduated from the academy 2 months ago) and usually works Thursday nights. My oldest works for another agency and has been on for 4 years.

Anyway....there are five of us who shoot together. Myself, my sons, and two or three other badges from other agencies. We have a good time. We travel to weekend matches in Payson, Prescott, and Catalina AZ three to four times a week.

My daughter, who is 14 and a GREAT competitive shooter in her own right shoots with us at least once a week. She is shooting a 9mm 1911 that I built her for her 14th birthday in Single Stack.

Tonight, there were seven of us total. We for there a bit later than normal because my oldest son was held up with paperwork. We were under the ramadas, loading magazines, smoking cigars, and giving other shooters we know from years of doing this a weekly ration of good natured shit. A lifted oil burning Chevy pulls in, rolls coal, and four guys climb out. They are new faces. All of them ate totally tacticooled out. I mean, they had all the 5.11 gear, Oakley shades, sleeve tatts and their carry gear was all from "tacticool dood operators operating operashunally dot com"...(eye roll). They go to the stat shack, get their dance cards and start talking smack about how they were going to dominate tonight and how they heard some cops shot at this match and how......"cops can't shoot" and how they would "embarrass any cops that showed up".

My daughter started to say something, but I gave her "the look" and she quieted down. A lot of the other shooters were rolling their eyes too. Some were done shooting, some were getting ready to shoot, and some were waiting to see what happened.

Anyway, we started "up top" which is where Stage 4 and Stage 3 are...up a hill to the upper practical range...and if you start there, you can finish on 1 and 2 which have better light as the sun goes down.

My group started on 4. It was pretty vanilla. My oldest son beat me, I beat my youngest, one of the guys we shoot with beat all of us...and my daughter killed it. She turned in a better time that everyone but her "Uncle Randy". That girl can run her 1911.

The tacticool doods were stacked up behind us, watching us shoot and I caught bits of "....tactically speaking, this is....blah blah blah". We went to 3, put our cards in and I watched the tac-doods shoot. I an say one thing. Everything they learned about shooting, they learned from YouTube or from some video game. They looked like a bunch of TV Seals crossbred with monkeys fucking footballs shooting guns. I mean, it was like....BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG HIT BANG BANG BANG BANG HIT...

They were going from low ready, to shooting, to high compressed ready, to scans....basically doing the ENTIRE ballistic ballet that looks cool on TV...but has no place in a fight.

We were all waiting on 3, and the group in front of us finished up, so us and the tac-doods were there together congratulating one another on how "badass" they shot and how one of them "operated that bitch". More eye roll. More cow bell. More...are you fucking serious.

Anyway...the group in front of us got done and we started to shoot. I went was first in the box. It was a real simple 2-popper one plate rack move 2 popper one plate rack with a mandatory reload between your first and last shot. With no misses, it would be sixteen rounds, and usually could be done without a reload, but this one had a mandatory. I shot the first 8 reloaded on the move, shot the last 8. 16 rounds, cleaned it, 6.9 seconds. My oldest did it in 6.4, daughter did it in 7.4...and the rest of us were all in the middle and within about 2 seconds of one another.

The fastest I saw one of the tac-doods do it was 12.6 seconds. Eye roll.

We move down to 2 shoot it before the tac-doods come down the hill. Stage 1 is stacked up, so we are waiting to finish and the tac-doods come up and they are STILL talking shit. Stage 1 has not one, but two mind ya...TWO Texas Stars which are kind of my specialty. I fucking love them. I mean, I get a stiffy shooting the stars.

My group shot them well. I let the tac-doods go ahead of me because I had to go over the the restroom. I came back, and the loudest of the tac-doods was spoting off about something. Anyway...he emptied THREE mags on two stars and both mags had +5 Taran base plates on them.

I stepped up...10 plates, eleven rounds (I had one miss)...no reload needed on my Glock 17.

I quietly walk away. We drop our cards, go to safety and swap out match guns for carry guns and carry mags...and head back to the ramada to have a cigar and say goodnight to the other old hats.

The tac doods are there. One of them pipes up and says "Where are all the cops, I wanted to show them how to shoot".

My daughter said..."You mean you'd show them how not to shoot. Because...Dude, you all just got beat by a bunch of cops...and a 14 year old girl".

Priceless.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

and how did the dudes respond?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Small sample size and all that, plus of course it somewhat self selects to those who care about shooting, but all of the cops I've shot USPSA with have known how to shoot. Their skill levels have ranged from being slower than me (I'm a middle/upper C class in Production, so nothing special) but shooting almost 100% alphas up through at least a few of them being Ms and GMs who make everybody else look like they're standing still. I can't remember overhearing anyone at the places I shoot giving any of them shit like that. Some people are just stupid, I guess. Good on your daughter for sticking it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kan S LaTrans View Post
    Dude, you all just got beat by a bunch of cops...and a 14 year old girl".
    Who is probably gonna end up being a cop...

More and more I think (as I mature) shooters are shooters, some are cops.

Please tell me they came in at like dead last. God I hate arrogant pricks like that. Should’ve offered to have your 14 y/o teach their knuckle-dragging asses how to actually shoot, but it’d likely have been a huge waste of time.

Let me guess, each “operator” was running a Zevved-out Glock with cheesegrater porting and the biggest legal mag extensions they could run. Oh and Ghost ring sights too, can’t forget those.

Same type of guys who would show up to an intro to carry class in full battle rattle.

They should be made to turn in their guns after such performances and be relegated to nothing more than a marshmallow launcher until they can demonstratively unkitten themselves.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    and how did the dudes respond?
    One of them started with a "Yeah but..."

But the loudmouth of the group just stormed off muttering.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Small sample size and all that, plus of course it somewhat self selects to those who care about shooting, but all of the cops I've shot USPSA with have known how to shoot. Their skill levels have ranged from being slower than me (I'm a middle/upper C class in Production, so nothing special) but shooting almost 100% alphas up through at least a few of them being Ms and GMs who make everybody else look like they're standing still. I can't remember overhearing anyone at the places I shoot giving any of them shit like that. Some people are just stupid, I guess. Good on your daughter for sticking it to them.
    My sons...both of them shoot Steel, 3 Gun, and USPSA in duty gear. I did too before I retired. Now, I use regular carry gear...a pair of open top mag pouches (mule skin), and an open top strong side pancake holster (mule skin), or a strong side IWB. I always figured that I would be in duty gear when the balloon went up, so do they. Now, I am probably going to be carrying concealed in carry gear if the shit show starts...shoot what ya carry...is my philosophy.

I quit shooting IPSC 25 years ago when it became an equipment race. I shoot USPSA or PRODUCTION in Limited with guns I will carry. My Glocks are all stippled because I like the rough texture, but hate skateboard tape, and I use Gen 3 exclusively because I like them best. I grind off the finger grooves because I have giant wookiee mitts and the finger grooves hit me right in the joints of my fingers. All sensible mods. My triggers are 3.5lb Ghost Rocket connectors with a extra power striker spring which gives me a 4.5lb trigger with a fast reset. 4.5lbs is more than defensible in a carry gun. Both my sons work for Glock agencies. My oldest carries a Glock 21 Gen 4, my youngest carries a Glock 34...both are in factory trim because that's policy in their departments.

My daughter was shooting a Springfield Armory 5" 1911 MilSpec in 9mm that I built for her. McCormick Beavertail, Wilson trigger, C&S Hammerm Sear, Disconnector, and a set of HiViz sights. She was using a mule skin OWB holster with FBI cant, and slight drop loop.

These guys had a mixture of Uber Tacticool Serpa, Blade Tek, thigh holsters, and one had an unknown brand kydex. Their guns were a mixture of Glock, Hk, M&P CORE, and one had an FN 509. But they had on ALL the cool guy tactical clothes and shit.

Yeah...my daughter is a female version of me. She takes zero shit from people. She's a great kid, she has manners, she is polite, she is smart....but she will NOT tolerate asshat boys shit talking her. She is daddy's girl for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Who is probably gonna end up being a cop...

More and more I think (as I mature) shooters are shooters, some are cops.
    She keeps threatening to go into LE. I keep telling her NOOOOOOOO....go to medical school like mom!

Then she gets a mischievous grin and says....YEAH! Then I'll be a SWAT medic like Dr Carmona!

The girl wants me to have a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Please tell me they came in at like dead last. God I hate arrogant pricks like that. Should’ve offered to have your 14 y/o teach their knuckle-dragging asses how to actually shoot, but it’d likely have been a huge waste of time.

Let me guess, each “operator” was running a Zevved-out Glock with cheesegrater porting and the biggest legal mag extensions they could run. Oh and Ghost ring sights too, can’t forget those.

Same type of guys who would show up to an intro to carry class in full battle rattle.

They should be made to turn in their guns after such performances and be relegated to nothing more than a marshmallow launcher until they can demonstratively unkitten themselves.
    The scores haven't been posted yet. That match doesn't use Practiscore...so results usually get posted in 48 hours or so. It's a STEEL match based on USPSA, but with a mix of steel and paper. I prefer straight USPSA and a good IDPA match but it's the only match in the valley on Thursdays. Last night was all steel, no paper. It was all plates, poppers, Texas stars, and large and small steel.

They sure burned a LOT of ammo for the relatively low round count of the match. There was a lot of BANGIN for the low amount of CLANGIN.

Here's a loud mouth pud who showed up at a 3 Gun match in Prescott in March. He works at an LGS in Tucson and is one of those gun counter commandos who has an opinion on EVERYTHING and starts EVERY sentence with "Tactically speaking...." and "Cops can't shoot..."

The first pic is him fumble fucking his rifle...and the second one is where ge got DQ'd for letting a round go over the barricade and over the berm.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List