Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing a m64

The nice thing about stainless is the ability to go with a full "brushed" finish with an abrasive or you can go shiny with a polish. You can even moderate the finish by using Scotchbrite first and then going back over it with a fine polish to remove as much of the "scratching" as you wish.

This one was marked up a bit and I spent about 15 minutes with grey Scotchbrite to get these results.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Someone posted a picture of a melonited Ruger revolver recently and it looked great.

I really don't want to spend much more on this gun. But maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The nice thing about stainless is the ability to go with a full "brushed" finish with an abrasive or you can go shiny with a polish. You can even moderate the finish by using Scotchbrite first and then going back over it with a fine polish to remove as much of the "scratching" as you wish.

This one was marked up a bit and I spent about 15 minutes with grey Scotchbrite to get these results.

That looks good. Come to think of it. I think I did my Redhawk with a scotch Brite pad years ago.

The gun shoots good to. Maybe 2" high with 158 grain ball hopefully it's dead on with the Winchester 130grain +p bonded Ranger

BEFOREAttachment 28255Attachment 28256Model-60 will be tonights project.
    Last edited by SD; 07-20-2018 at 05:02 PM.

The best thing I’ve found to match the brushed factory finish is 3M Trizact foam backed 3000 grit abrasive. Amazon has it for about $6 a package. Flitz polish works great if you want a high polish finish, but it will not look like a factory finish. I’ve polished several guns with Flitz.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Thinking the ivory VZ grips might look nice on this

About 25, minutes worth of effort, it looks pretty good here.Attachment 28260Attachment 28261

The guys on the S&W forum can and will go into excruciating detail on how to touch up stainless.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The other cool thing about stainless is that you can break sharp edges or give it that "melted" treatment without refinishing other than what is being discussed here.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List