Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: IDPA Indoor Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I found it perverse that the IDPA World match was held on the same weekend as the USPSA Nationals. Why would anybody schedule a conflict like that?

In Frostproof (after I'd brought up the subject) it was suggested that the conflict was created by IDPA...and on purpose.

There is some real enmity out there. It's sad.

I heard that they were both scheduled so far in advance that neither could be changed.

A few years ago, IDPA moved the date for the IDPA Nationals when they were scheduled for the same time.

I don't see any problem. We have a lot of crossover shooters in my area.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    A lot of it depends on what's available, as well. I know people that live in areas where there's no IDPA or no USPSA within a reasonable drive, so they're pretty much stuck with what they've got.

We have fairly active groups of both as well as a few other leagues in my area. The IDPA matches fit better with my schedule.

Just read an email from Joyce Wilson. Dean Brevit, who posts here under "Caswell Ranch" was promoted to DM...his final score was 162.48. He worked for it, sending over 10,000 rounds down range in the weeks prior. Very nice accomplishment!

Nice! That 3% of the DC is a tough nut to crack.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Nice! That 3% of the DC is a tough nut to crack.
    Indeed. I fully expect him to show up at the Nationals in September and DM again in a different division.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys, yes I will run against Vogal in SSP at the Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Just read an email from Joyce Wilson. Dean Brevit, who posts here under "Caswell Ranch" was promoted to DM...his final score was 162.48. He worked for it, sending over 10,000 rounds down range in the weeks prior. Very nice accomplishment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    Thanks for the thumbs up guys, yes I will run against Vogal in SSP at the Nationals.

Congrats on the bump.

As a competition shooter who shoots a lot of different sports IDPA is the only game in town that is embracing change, asking its members what they want and is tackling the great www. through social media, you-tube, blogging etc. It's also the sport you'll be reading about if you subscribe to the Shooting/Outdoor/Tactical Wires because they are amping up their PR efforts. You put all these things together combined with the fact that the sport is the easiest (and least expensive) for new customers from the conceal carry market, IDPA is growing... FAST.

I have competed in IDPA for several years now and I found the subjectivity most frustrating. My first IDPA Nationals I encountered an SO that literally sucked 5 years of "fun in IDPA" away from me like a Pit of Dispair. This years IDPA Indoor Nationals was an absolutely BLAST. No one yelled at me. Every single SO treated me with respect and was friendly. Kudos to Frank Glover and the staff for designing the stages that were straight forward and simple but were challenging and fun at the same time. I shot poorly but I enjoyed every single stage and I think that's important for shooters of all levels.

As for top shooter participation, if shooters are sponsored by major manufacturers, I think we'll see a number of them return to IDPA. If that's the sports that's getting the press and it features the guns that manufacturers make, that only makes sense. It's not about prize tables, its about prestige for both the shooter and the company. As we have seen with USPSA in the past, companies don't have to put out press releases on their shooters. The sport does it for them. Or if the manufacturer sends one out, that's twice the exposure. If IDPA is successful in internet marketing and PR, it will be the "it" sport much like 3-Gun has become.

IDPA is easy for new shooters to start in - think the untapped conceal carry market. It's the easiest sport for gun manufacturers to justify sponsorship dollars. After all, its a sport that features the guns they make. IDPA has always been the most social of the action sports, from social events, hospitality, awards banquets and... people are always talking about it.

Just my thoughts on it.
    All the best,
    Julie

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the author's sponsors and employers.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    As a competition shooter who shoots a lot of different sports IDPA is the only game in town that is embracing change, asking its members what they want and is tackling the great www. through social media, you-tube, blogging etc. It's also the sport you'll be reading about if you subscribe to the Shooting/Outdoor/Tactical Wires because they are amping up their PR efforts. You put all these things together combined with the fact that the sport is the easiest (and least expensive) for new customers from the conceal carry market, IDPA is growing... FAST.

I have competed in IDPA for several years now and I found the subjectivity most frustrating. My first IDPA Nationals I encountered an SO that literally sucked 5 years of "fun in IDPA" away from me like a Pit of Dispair. This years IDPA Indoor Nationals was an absolutely BLAST. No one yelled at me. Every single SO treated me with respect and was friendly. Kudos to Frank Glover and the staff for designing the stages that were straight forward and simple but were challenging and fun at the same time. I shot poorly but I enjoyed every single stage and I think that's important for shooters of all levels.

As for top shooter participation, if shooters are sponsored by major manufacturers, I think we'll see a number of them return to IDPA. If that's the sports that's getting the press and it features the guns that manufacturers make, that only makes sense. It's not about prize tables, its about prestige for both the shooter and the company. As we have seen with USPSA in the past, companies don't have to put out press releases on their shooters. The sport does it for them. Or if the manufacturer sends one out, that's twice the exposure. If IDPA is successful in internet marketing and PR, it will be the "it" sport much like 3-Gun has become.

IDPA is easy for new shooters to start in - think the untapped conceal carry market. It's the easiest sport for gun manufacturers to justify sponsorship dollars. After all, its a sport that features the guns they make. IDPA has always been the most social of the action sports, from social events, hospitality, awards banquets and... people are always talking about it.

Just my thoughts on it.
    A refreshing take from a respected competitor.

I feel this match is returning to a better place and a lot of that has to do with the MD and staff.

Mr. Glover provides cache and confidence that it will be interesting.

Maybe the entire Smith & Wesson Team will shoot it in the future.

User Tag List