Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to move my flashlight forward of the rail

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Need to move my flashlight forward of the rail

This is my first time with a bigger light on a smaller rifle. Which is better to move it forward past where the rail normally ends, the doo-dad that goes in side the fixed front sight post or some doo-dad that hooks on the quad rail and extends it forward a bit? I've used the front sight post doo-dad on an issued rifle and it seemed to work fine, but seeing if there's any reason to not do that again.

Bonus points if the best doo-dad is available on Midway, my birthday discount window is almost here.

This is what I'm considering: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/96...aluminum-matte
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 07-19-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have been using this Doo-Dad for a few years and it's served me well-

The Mossie Tactics Midnight Mount with a Surefire x300

It's sturdy, easy to install, doesn't add width to the rifle, light switch is easy to reach and manipulate and the mount is lightweight. The original Midnight Mount has only one slot. The newest version carried by Arisaka has several slots. Buying from Arisaka means you won't get your birthday discount, but you will be getting one of the best light mounts on the market.

https://arisakadefense.com/products/...1913-fsb-mount
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

What light are you running?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This is my first time with a bigger light on a smaller rifle. Which is better to move it forward past where the rail normally ends, the doo-dad that goes in side the fixed front sight post or some doo-dad that hooks on the quad rail and extends it forward a bit? I've used the front sight post doo-dad on an issued rifle and it seemed to work fine, but seeing if there's any reason to not do that again.

Bonus points if the best doo-dad is available on Midway, my birthday discount window is almost here.

This is what I'm considering: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/96...aluminum-matte
    I haven't used the MI version, but I have used the GG&G version of the A frame mount without the QD socket for several years with good results. Mine never came loose but I do recommend blue Loctite on the opposing screws and witness marks in paint pen just in case.

https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dua...ory-mount.html

Another option is the various cantilever mounts for rails and hand guards from Impact Weapons Components.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...egic-partners/
    Last edited by HCM; 07-19-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I have been using this Doo-Dad for a few years and it's served me well-

The Mossie Tactics Midnight Mount with a Surefire x300

It's sturdy, easy to install, doesn't add width to the rifle, light switch is easy to reach and manipulate and the mount is lightweight. The original Midnight Mount has only one slot. The newest version carried by Arisaka has several slots. Buying from Arisaka means you won't get your birthday discount, but you will be getting one of the best light mounts on the market.

https://arisakadefense.com/products/...1913-fsb-mount

I have a Mossie Mount, but ultimately took it off. No fault of the mount itself, but the casting flash on my FSB caused the Mossie to be canted slightly off from parallel to the bore. If I recall correctly, it hung a little to the left....

Edit- it also got my light dirty very quickly. 11.5 barrel with A2 birdcage.
    Last edited by DpdG; 07-19-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I have a Mossie Mount, but ultimately took it off. No fault of the mount itself, but the casting flash on my FSB caused the Mossie to be canted slightly off from parallel to the bore. If I recall correctly, it hung a little to the left....
    That don't hurt nothing but your CDO. If it does bother your CDO excessively, the FSB can be trimmed a little. In fact, on the first AR I put mine on, I trimmed the FSB 9and the Midnight Mount) to sit closer to the barrel.

Edit- it also got my light dirty very quickly. 11.5 barrel with A2 birdcage.
    That's what the 1 inch Storm Queen cap is for.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I've found the Impact Weapons Components stuff to be fairly elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    What light are you running?
    Streamlight Protac: https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/93...content=934367

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The SL Protac Rail Mount 1&2 will work with the Thorntail mount that HCM linked to above, and if you have a railed forend, that is one of the more elegant solutions.

I used the Thorntails to mount SF scout lights on our BIA officers' ARs, which turned out well. The lights were at 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock, and several of our guys used the tape switch on the 12 o'clock rail, making operation easy with either hand.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-20-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    ... several of our guys used the tape switch on the 12 o'clock rail, making operation easy with either hand.
    That's smart, and not something I would have thought of on my own. Thanks.

User Tag List