Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight love thread

Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    How much use have you given that generator? Been him-hawing around about buying the honda equivalent, but would love if I could save 1k.
    About 40 hours. You should peruse this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-thread/page15
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Based on what I'd read here and read myself, I've recommended the 2000W and 3500W Predator inverter generators to several friends/family/coworkers wanting a generator without breaking the bank. About 3-4 of those have gone and bought the 3500W models. I've really pondered putting my 5kw Generac out of frontline service and replacing it with the 3500W Predator. The damn thing is loud as hell and the last time I needed to work on it, I had a bitch of a time getting parts for the Tecumseh engine. I'd lose some capacity, but if that became an issue then I could get another with a parallel kit and have more capacity . . . and two generators with electric start to boot as well.

One buddy commented that when he bought his the guy ringing him up said, "There's not a lot in this store that I'd buy, but this is one of the things I'd buy without any hesitation."
    The 3500w inverter is the thinking man's Honda inverter genny.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A little bit of an aside but is there a resource that shows the historical power outages for a zip code or region? I would really like to know the historical events that have occurred in my AO to help justify this purchase beyond a "I think we had 2 outages last year."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    A little bit of an aside but is there a resource that shows the historical power outages for a zip code or region? I would really like to know the historical events that have occurred in my AO to help justify this purchase beyond a "I think we had 2 outages last year."
    That would need to be a detailed map. For example, a former coworker lives on the other side of town from me, maybe 5 miles away. He loses power all the time. I can literally count our power outages on one, maybe two hands. If I only count those that resulted in power being out for more than an hour, I wouldn't even need an entire hand. We've never lost power long enough to justify pulling out a generator. So, power outages for my town would be one number, but those directly affecting my home would be much lower. We've been in this house for 17 years.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. The more I dig into them, the less I can talk myself into spending the extra on the Honda at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    That would need to be a detailed map. For example, a former coworker lives on the other side of town from me, maybe 5 miles away. He loses power all the time. I can literally count our power outages on one, maybe two hands. If I only count those that resulted in power being out for more than an hour, I wouldn't even need an entire hand. We've never lost power long enough to justify pulling out a generator. So, power outages for my town would be one number, but those directly affecting my home would be much lower. We've been in this house for 17 years.

Chris
    Same. When Irma came through here, we didn't lose power for more than a few hours. My coworker (who bought a Predator 3500 this year) lost power for several days. He's less than a mile from me and in the same zip code.

Sent from my fruit based pocket computer using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I work in the firearms industry as a designer and engineer. My posts do not represent the opinions or positions of my employers, past or present.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I once split a brand new HF impact socket the first time I tried to use it on a hand ratchet, with my left arm at an awkward angle.

My buddy used to buy their air impacts because they were only $30. When he bought the third one, he admitted he should have just bought an IR.

I have a few HF tools, but I leave a lot there, too.

I'm a big fan of the nitrile gloves. Keep them around in all three thicknesses.

If I know I'm going to modify/destroy a tool for a one-time use, I'll often buy it there.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Over the years, I've discovered that most Harbor Freight tools are ok for occasional use, but are far from professional grade. Items I've had good luck with include heavy duty jackstands, a floor lift and a couple of work benches.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Harbor Freight has really stepped up their game, if you think they are still the HF of a few years ago, you should look again.
    #RESIST

In my experience, they have always been hit or miss. I could happily miss the smell of the store (reminds me of that puke Xcelite screwdriver smell), and have missed some good bargains that have been pulled over the years (Makita SCMS clone, Rapidair clone air system). But have also found bargains (Goodyear air hose, basic impact sockets, dead blow hammers, oscillating tool). Some things you could tell were bad. I had a coworker who bought a wrench set there, that I could see the metal work was visibly bad, the 7mm wrench broke with the first turn and he was shocked. Years ago, they had some impact sockets that were Chrome molybdenum, rather then Chrome Vanadium; I still hope to find those in store again, some day.

Aluminum floor jack and motorcycle jack in my garage for 5 years of oil changes, tire rotations, and misc maintenance. Zero issues.

User Tag List