Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is interesting that I broke eight DP Pro optics since fall 2017 on a bunch of Glock MOS and Walther Q5 pistols, and have yet to break one of the four direct milled DP Pro optics I have on two CZ Shadow and two CZ P09 pistols.
    You'd need an accelerometer attached to the slides of each to verify the hypothesis, but if memory serves hammer-fired systems have a much slower initial slide velocity during first movement after firing - as not only are the barrel and slide still joined as they start moving to the rear and unlocking from each other, but the slide is recocking the hammer (linear motion of the slide working against the arcing motion of the hammer from rest). From this stems a gradual increase in slide velocity until the slide is moving at its fastest after the barrel unlocks and the hammer is cocked fully to the rear; that itself being slower then the equivalent period of travel for a striker-fired system, from all of the energy already bled off against that resistance.

Higher level shooters may occasionally perceive this as a greater degree of whipping sensation immediately after firing and before the slide fully cycles to the rear and then forward again. Most shooters will feel a related pattern of resistance in charging a DA\SA or DAO weapon without having cocked the hammer in advance. The separation of the different sensations\stages-of-recoil does get muddled when the recoil spring is towards the end of its service life, as the slide will be felt to finish its rearward movement much more sharply with a more violent end to the travel to the rear.

Short version: that makes sense!
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Nice informative video. Man Larry looks good!

I handled one at a local shop and was unimpressed. Especially with the trigger. It’s bad. But I’m thinking of getting one anyway to play with, especially with the Apex triggers coming out.

I think for how much these cost, the trigger should be better by far. But, I think the rest of the gun is a pretty slick setup. I would like to have a factory rds pistol that does not need a direct mill to have a reliable dot. And hopefully a 15rnd version will come out. Then you can just switch the top ends out.

A guy can dream right?

Site Supporter
    Handled one Wednesday. The mag release was definitely improved over the standard 509.

I picked up a 509 last week, and have 200 rounds through it so far (more will come this weekend). I really like the platform and the feature set. I have not yet mounted an optic (an RMR is showing up today, I have a DeltaPoint on my G19 Gen 4 MOS, but that is going to stay where it is for the time being). The plate system is very forward-thinking - light years ahead of Glock in terms of design and flexibility, and add full co-witness on even the DeltaPoint with the included suppressor-height sights...win/win in my book.

There are a couple of things that aren't perfect of course, and the leading one is the trigger. I am not quite ready to call it garbage, because it is different with the trigger safety configuration. I will definitely call it a bit heavy, but that is not a surprise to me either. Lighter trigger pulls, be they DA or "striker" (if we want to separate those) are typically heavier for military applications...their civilian counterparts are often more refined and lighter pulls...but that is the reality. I will re-evaluate after 800-1000 rounds, however, as I can somewhat fairly assume that some relative lightening and smoothness will come out of use - as has been the case in every striker-fired pistol I have owned. By the time I square that circle, I am sure the Apex kit will be available, and I will be happy to continue to support them as I have in my Glocks.

Lastly, one point of contention I have is actually the magwell (or lack thereof). I have found magazine changes to be a bit awkward relative to other poly pistols/1911s, etc. It does require a bit of practice to nine them up - bordering on fine-motor skill. In a stressful situation, I would like to have 1000s of repetitions - it just isn't quite as easy as most duty style pistols at this price-point...a little beveling would go a LONG way there.

Otherwise....so far so good with the platform! I like the tactile feel and balance....the quality seems to be there...so overall I think this presents a decent value in the market - assuming one values the MHS feature-set.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoldie00 View Post
    I picked up a 509 last week, and have 200 rounds through it so far (more will come this weekend). I really like the platform and the feature set. I have not yet mounted an optic (an RMR is showing up today, I have a DeltaPoint on my G19 Gen 4 MOS, but that is going to stay where it is for the time being). The plate system is very forward-thinking - light years ahead of Glock in terms of design and flexibility, and add full co-witness on even the DeltaPoint with the included suppressor-height sights...win/win in my book.

There are a couple of things that aren't perfect of course, and the leading one is the trigger. I am not quite ready to call it garbage, because it is different with the trigger safety configuration. I will definitely call it a bit heavy, but that is not a surprise to me either. Lighter trigger pulls, be they DA or "striker" (if we want to separate those) are typically heavier for military applications...their civilian counterparts are often more refined and lighter pulls...but that is the reality. I will re-evaluate after 800-1000 rounds, however, as I can somewhat fairly assume that some relative lightening and smoothness will come out of use - as has been the case in every striker-fired pistol I have owned. By the time I square that circle, I am sure the Apex kit will be available, and I will be happy to continue to support them as I have in my Glocks.

Lastly, one point of contention I have is actually the magwell (or lack thereof). I have found magazine changes to be a bit awkward relative to other poly pistols/1911s, etc. It does require a bit of practice to nine them up - bordering on fine-motor skill. In a stressful situation, I would like to have 1000s of repetitions - it just isn't quite as easy as most duty style pistols at this price-point...a little beveling would go a LONG way there.

Otherwise....so far so good with the platform! I like the tactile feel and balance....the quality seems to be there...so overall I think this presents a decent value in the market - assuming one values the MHS feature-set.
    How did the controls work? Glad to hear you are liking it. Also, have you shot the base 509 before?

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    How did the controls work? Glad to hear you are liking it. Also, have you shot the base 509 before?
    Controls for slide and magazine release worked fine for me. I am a lefty, and admittedly don't use the slide release much at all on any pistol, but I did work it on the 509 and it was fine. Mag release is truly Ambi, meaning actuating it on either side of the pistol works well, though I typically use my index finger to manipulate the standard release. Both worked in my testing however.

I have read on other forums that some people complain about magazine rattle....and I know I am early into using it, but I didn't notice it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoldie00 View Post
    Controls for slide and magazine release worked fine for me. I am a lefty, and admittedly don't use the slide release much at all on any pistol, but I did work it on the 509 and it was fine. Mag release is truly Ambi, meaning actuating it on either side of the pistol works well, though I typically use my index finger to manipulate the standard release. Both worked in my testing however.

I have read on other forums that some people complain about magazine rattle....and I know I am early into using it, but I didn't notice it personally.
    Good deal, thank you. I really want to like this gun. I enjoyed my fns but that trigger was pretty heavy. I also really like the mounting system for rds. If this gun had a Gadget available I would say fuck it and pick one up. That seems to be my biggest hang up with striker guns lately. I have become quite fond of the gadget.

User Tag List