Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: FN 509 Tactical

Having been ghosted by FN, by way of support for a number of pistols, I hope you have better luck than I did.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Aaron loves them.

Flipped the slides around after clean and lube. If I could find some more 17 rnd mags, my life would be better.

Yes, Glock rules all in accessories and mags. No questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post

Flipped the slides around after clean and lube. If I could find some more 17 rnd mags, my life would be better.

Yes, Glock rules all in accessories and mags. No questions asked.

Have you experienced the issue with strikers breaking, or replaced your strikers with the Apex one?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Have you experienced the issue with strikers breaking, or replaced your strikers with the Apex one?
    My midsize I installed the apex striker and extractor.

The tactical was a very recent build and supposedly they updated them. I will probably end up installing a apex as well. Big difference in the two.

These guns are easy to completely break down which is a plus. Once again not Glock easy, but nothing is.

These were my midsize vs apex. I am going to take down the side on the tactical and compare the midsize vs tactical strikers and see if I can tell a difference.

My buddy had bought some garbage Russian ammo. Rounds were completely out of spec. He kept trying to cycle them through his new 509 tactical. I insisted he stop because they were locked up so hard you had to smash the rmr against a table to free the slide. After ten times he went to federal 115 and gun worked fine.

I went down the next week and we shot a ton of rounds through the FN 509s. We were using 124 grn reloads, 115 grn fed, 147 grn speer and 147 hst. All guns ran perfect. But his had a weak ejection. We broke his gun down after the range trip and found he had broken the ejector off while smashing the slide repeatedly to remove the bullets the week prior.

Two things.

Obviously a broken ejector is bad news. But the violence of beating the shit out of the rmr on a table would cause something to break.

The gun ran perfect, while having a weak ejection. But it ran with a broken ejector, I do not know many guns that could. His was a stock upper. No apex.

Another impressive thing was how well the mrd optic mounting system worked. No loctite, no vibratite. And he did not even torque screws with a torque stick. The rmr never lost zero nor shifted. I thought that was pretty cool.

I have him my ejector out of my tac so he could get back to carrying. I ordered a new one for mine but need to see if FN will replace it. Idk if they will and can’t blame them if not.

Just trying to be transparent about what I have seen with these pistols.

FN went to an uncharacteristic lot of effort with the 509, I think they'll be around for quite a while. For some reason, they have a history of short production runs, and outright discontinuations, but they have stayed the course really well with the 509 and actually worked with the aftermarket accessory manufacturers to make the design more desirable and customizable. I still own an FNS that has yet to miss a day of work because of mechanical issues, but I still bypassed the 509 in favor of a SIG P320, which was yet another can o worms to get exactly what I wanted. However, a 509 would have been cheaper since I had to build the P320 from the ground up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    FN went to an uncharacteristic lot of effort with the 509, I think they'll be around for quite a while. For some reason, they have a history of short production runs, and outright discontinuations, but they have stayed the course really well with the 509 and actually worked with the aftermarket accessory manufacturers to make the design more desirable and customizable. I still own an FNS that has yet to miss a day of work because of mechanical issues, but I still bypassed the 509 in favor of a SIG P320, which was yet another can o worms to get exactly what I wanted. However, a 509 would have been cheaper since I had to build the P320 from the ground up.
    FN put in the effort because A) their prior polymer pistols were all crap; and B) they wanted a legit contender for the MHS and other GOV contracts which came up in the same time period.

I heard good things about the FN MHS gun though it did not make the final round which came down to SIG vs Glock. The FN 501, a non public version of the 509 was the only gun other than SIG to pass the last round of US ICE striker fired pistol trials, though SIG got the contract..

I really like the 509 optics mounting system but given my work choices are SIG or Glock getting into another SFA platform is impractical.

The other issue is that while Tom V and his crew did a great designing and producing the 509, FN’s customer /armorer/parts support has been a weak spot for years.

A lot of complaints about this pistol being unable to fire coming out of water. Is that still the case and or does the Apex kit resolve this?

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    A lot of complaints about this pistol being unable to fire coming out of water. Is that still the case and or does the Apex kit resolve this?
    I have yet to try any underwater excursions I would be interested as well. This was a thing with the vp9 too.

User Tag List