Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: FN 509 Tactical

Site Supporter
    I like shooting my basic model 509. I am not going to fire any gun while it is submerged in water

The issue isnt firing while submerged. Its trying to fire after being submerged. So say you were working a wet environment like harbor, marine police, game warden etc etc and you were in the scenario where you just fell in water for whatever reason and came out and imediately needed to fire, you may have a dead pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    The issue isnt firing while submerged. Its trying to fire after being submerged. So say you were working a wet environment like harbor, marine police, game warden etc etc and you were in the scenario where you just fell in water for whatever reason and came out and imediately needed to fire, you may have a dead pistol.
    I should have read your post more carefully Shane. That would be an issue indeed. I would attempt to fire the handgun after it was submerged. If the firing pin channel is completely flooded, firing after being submerged (ignition) may not happen. I am definitely not an expert in this area. I like the VP9 and the 509. I wonder if this issue is potentially problematic for any handgun.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 01-02-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I should have read your post more carefully Shane. That would be an issue indeed. I would attempt to fire the handgun after it was submerged. If the firing pin channel is completely flooded, firing after being submerged (ignition) may not happen. I am definitely not an expert in this area. I like the VP9 and the 509. I wonder if this issue is potentially problematic for any handgun.
    Isnt this why Glock went to maritime cups?

Bet a hammer fired gun does not give a shit lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the tests i watched vids on, the 509 was far and away the worst offender. A glock without m cups had some light primer strikes. An M17 had no failures. A vp9 had none but i have heard of other tests where it did. Of course testors and methods may vary but the common denominator seemed to be the 509 not doing well in anyones test I viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    Future for what? Gaming? Home defense? Range toy? Sure. A lot of people are trying to push them into the military, concealed carry, and police arenas with limited success. They're not the god mode mod people think they are. There's plenty of dudes with lots of rounds down range through multiple dots because their guns kill it, or they run into the stoppages/malfunctions they cause.

Let alone the pounding they'll be taking from basic police and military duty use. Getting in and out of vehicles, rolling around on them and just basic shock. Micro dots were never a serious idea on a rifle, and a pistol will prove the same concept over time. Irons don't get foggy, crack, lose power, or catch on things like that window does. They also don't cause stoppages by pinching an expended round in-between the window and the slide.

Is it popular now? Kinda sure. The future? Definitely not yet. Still in the testing phase at best.
    Respectfully, what you are saying is almost exactly what a LOT of folks were saying in regards to RDS systems being deployed on rifles about 20 years ago. Status of RDS deployed today on rifles? The technology is moving fast with RDS system’s shrinking size, durability, reduced energy consumption. Prices have dropped and should continue with the increased market competition meeting the market demand increase. I’m pretty sure it is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Isnt this why Glock went to maritime cups?

Bet a hammer fired gun does not give a shit lmao.

That's presumptuous. If the firing pin is fitted tightly enough to the channel, I could see it hydro-locking just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    That's presumptuous. If the firing pin is fitted tightly enough to the channel, I could see it hydro-locking just the same.
    Call it what you want. First off that was sarcastic to a certain degree. Because no one ever talks about their p226 or 92 like the discussions with striker fired guns taking a shit after being in water. And what I believe to be some of the most reliable pistols of all time are also game fired. Different design and lends to being reliable. As long as it’s not some pile of shit.

On a side note to the 509. I wonder if the apex striker would make a difference. The design is completely different and a solid piece instead of hollow. Seems like it would allow a lot less water to rest.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm less worried about the striker hydro locking than i am paying close to MSRP (in the current market) for yet another "Oh its a Glock except without the aftermarket or track record."

Yawn, pass.

I got to handle a 509 Tactical and 509 Compact (if that is the 12 round +/- one). Looked attractive but was distinctly underwhelmed by both triggers — least favorable trigger to dollar ratio of 2021!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List