Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: SIG M17 Commercial Version coming in August 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I just wanted to make sure a compact module would work with the M17 slide first because I haven't been following the P320 series much.

I think the M17 is built on the carry frame which would normally have a compact slide, which would mean the M17 slide should also work on a compact frame but I really don't know. I only bought the thing because I work as a civilian security guard for the Department of the Army and we're supposed to be switching over to them soon.
    The P320 is completely modular within the 9/40/357 series pistols. You can mix and match any slide length and any grip module length. There may be a gap between the nose of the slide and the dust cover if you run a longer slide on a shorter frame but it will still work.

There are only three lengths of grip modules - full (17 rounds in 9mm), compact (15 rounds in 9mm), and sub compact (12 rounds in 9mm). There are four slide lengths - full (4.7" barrel), compact (3.9" barrel) subcompact (3.6" barrel), and X-Five (5" barrel). The "Carry" is just the full length grip module with a compact slide. All of these parts will mix and match just fine.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    There are only three lengths of grip modules - full (17 rounds in 9mm), compact (15 rounds in 9mm), and sub compact (12 rounds in 9mm). There are four slide lengths - full (4.7" barrel), compact (3.9" barrel) subcompact (3.6" barrel), and X-Five (5" barrel). The "Carry" is just the full length grip module with a compact slide. All of these parts will mix and match just fine.
    So, I screwed this one up. The Carry grip module is, in fact, a different item. The Carry grip module takes the 17 round magazine but has a shorter dust cover. If you need to differentiate, the full size grip module has five grooves along the bottom of the rail. The Carry module only has 3 grooves along the bottom of its rail.

I just go one of these the other day. I live in Colorado so I'm looking for 15 round mags for it. I didn't see any neautered full-size mags on Sig's website. Does such a thing even exist for the P320 series? If not, could I use a compact grip module on it? Notched for the safety of course.

Only ten rounders as far as I have seen. I have six of them. I agree it makes more sense to use the compact module if you can find one cut for a safety. I have a full sized upper and I love the way it feels on my compact grip. Super cool recoil pulse.

I wonder if Steady Grind would cut a safety notch in a grip module for you...
    Last edited by cornstalker; 07-05-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    I watched a compact frame be cut for a thumb safety in less than ten minutes. Put masking tape where the safety will be, hold the M17 frame next to it and draw guide lines, carefully make cuts until the M17 trigger assembly fits. Worse case you are out $30. I’m at work now but I’ll try to remember to post pics when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by sharps54; 07-06-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Spellcheck hates me

Probably worth doing it yourself:

https://www.abprototype.com/manual-safety-grip-cut/

Bought a compact grip module from Midway for $33. I used a piece of card stock to trace the upper edge of the frame and the cutout for the safety and then just layed that over the new frame and traced it. Cut it out with a Dremel. That got me pretty close so I made adjustments with a round file until I could flick the safety on and off with the same amount of force as the old frame. Luckily the safety lever covers the hole and hides the sloppy job I did cutting the frame. My slide release lever was also hanging up just a touch on the front of it's notch so I hit that with a file until it work as it should. It was pretty easy and took maybe half an hour. Pretty much just a stopgap until the M18 comes out. Maybe I'll get a subcompact kit at some point and cut the frame for the safety to serve the same role as my Glock 26.

I read somewhere that the MA compliant P320 with the manual safety also has a heavier/different trigger than standard. Is the true? Because I could get one of those now brand new for under $600 rather than wait for the more expensive M18 but if it has a different trigger than it's almost pointless.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 07-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    I read somewhere that the MA compliant P320 with the manual safety also has a heavier/different trigger than standard. Is the true? Because I could get one of those now brand new for under $600 rather than wait for the more expensive M18 but if it has a different trigger than it's almost pointless.
    My 320C-9-BSS-MS has the same 6lb 5oz trigger pull as my M17.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    My 320C-9-BSS-MS has the same 6lb 5oz trigger pull as my M17.
    Thanks for the info. Might order one to fill in for my Glock 19.

Now that I have an M17 and an M9A3, I guess I also need to get a 19x.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Picked up a M17 from the LGS today. Have been wanting one for a while and finally pulled the plug. This is my first P320 variant and I’m looking forward to vetting it over the next month. Have a holster and extra mags on order and I plan to do the 2K round challenge with it once the holster and mags arrive. Will post updates and my thoughts (for whatever they’re worth) when I get some rounds through the gun. Until then here’s an obligatory pic:

Attachment 45006

Edit: Notice the marks in the PVD finish forward of the dust cover from the test firing/cycling the slide in the gun shop. There are a couple minor marks on the slide as well from handling. Not sure how the PVD finish will hold up to a kydex holster but my initial thoughts are that it will show wear marks quite quickly. This gun will be a shooter and not a safe queen so I don’t really care about wear marks or anything but just wanted to mention that.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 11-19-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    Shoot more, post less...

How is the accuracy on these? I'm getting the impression from the AXG thread that the OG X5 is really good, Legions are hit and miss. I'm curious how the main line guns are doing.

Has anyone come up with an aftermarket manual safety that has a higher and larger lever?
    David S.

User Tag List