Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hexmag aftermarket Glock Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Why would anyone add serrations to the front of the mag body on a pistol mag?! That just seems like a horrible way to get magazines to hang up once you incorporate dirt and debris...
    "...for rapid indexing during magazine changes" of course.

Kidding. No idea. I'm pretty new, and I'm able to index the magazine just fine, as long as I insert it into my Ghost pouch the same way each time.

Back when I first got into Glocks and Glock accessories (read: two years ago) I was all over all the cool-looking stuff plastered on my Facebook by every gun photog. It's how I ended up with stuff like ETS mags.

Now? I can't help but look at this stuff and ask "why?" The Magpul mags are cheaper, OEM mags aren't much more expensive, and the ETS mags, which are mediocre at best, have been out for much longer, in multiple sizes, and are generally less expensive too. All these do is look good until you actually use them once, at which point the clear plastic will get fogged up with powder residue.

At least these have steel feedlips, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Good info; I was waived off pmags for my G19.5 early on (I'm a noob) and bought a bunch of Glock factory mags.

Do you have any thoughts on the 12 round pmags for the G26.5? I bought one as an experiment, but recent posts here seem to question it's reliability for EDC purposes. I use my Glock OEM +2 extention on a factory 10 rounder for my EDC when I have the G26.
    Rich,

I can't give you an opinion based on experience. Both my Glock 26s are nearly 20 years old. The newest Glock 26 I have handled/fired was a Gen 4. So I don't have any direct experience with the MagPul magazines for the G26. I can say, that even after having some MapPul Glock 19 mags run out about the same as the G17 mags I used...that I will stick with what has worked for me.

What I know: The G17 and G19 mags from MagPul worked well for the first 5000 rounds. I experienced zero magazine related failures in training or in competition. Once that "magic number" was exceeded...they are started to run balky. I have heard similar things from other competitors who were using them.

The bigger question is, how much do you honestly shoot? I shoot 3 to 4 matches a week, and add in training and classes I put about 2000 rounds a week into steel and paper. I hit that 5000 round mark pretty quickly. Do you shoot every single week? Every month? How long is it going to take you to get to a round count like 5000 rounds?

Are you willing to trust your life to a magazine that will "probably work" rather than a factory magazine that has a spectacular reputation for functionality and longevity?

I have a metric shitload of Glock factory magazines in every style and caliber. I have been accumulating them for nearly 30 years. I mean, I have Glock magazines that number into the hundreds in 9mm, 40, 45 and out of all of those I can only remember having to change out springs on five or six and those were magazines that lived in my range bag for around ten years and were part of my match kit.

If you want to put that magazine through its paces...grab a few hundred rounds of ammo and go to the range and run the gun. Don't worry about anything other than recycling that magazine....load/unload/repeat...load it and empty it as quick as you can. Get some heat into it...get rapid compression and decompression through it. See if the polymer "feels" more flexible as it gets warm, feel the spring tension, and most importantly...see if there are ANY magazine related malfunctions. Beat the shit out of it, then beat the shit out of it some more. Toss it in the dirt. Get it wet. Run it. If it stands up to that...then you could reasonably say "This magazine will work for EDC and I will change it out for a new one in a year".

But...if you have any doubt about the gear you are going to stake your life on...pass it by.

IMHO

I shoot 10,000-15,000 rounds a year through about 6-8 mags that are designated for training use only. I've never replaced a single spring on any of them going on 3-4 years at this round count volume.

The only mags I've had spring issues with for Glocks were the old 10-coil .40 mags or the extended +5/6 mags I use for USPSA limited division.
    Last edited by Gio; 07-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Why would anyone add serrations to the front of the mag body on a pistol mag?! That just seems like a horrible way to get magazines to hang up once you incorporate dirt and debris...
    Because P.T. Barnum was right.

I see no practical reason to go with anything other than factory.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kan S LaTrans View Post
    Rich,

I can't give you an opinion based on experience. Both my Glock 26s are nearly 20 years old. The newest Glock 26 I have handled/fired was a Gen 4. So I don't have any direct experience with the MagPul magazines for the G26. I can say, that even after having some MapPul Glock 19 mags run out about the same as the G17 mags I used...that I will stick with what has worked for me.

What I know: The G17 and G19 mags from MagPul worked well for the first 5000 rounds. I experienced zero magazine related failures in training or in competition. Once that "magic number" was exceeded...they are started to run balky. I have heard similar things from other competitors who were using them.

The bigger question is, how much do you honestly shoot? I shoot 3 to 4 matches a week, and add in training and classes I put about 2000 rounds a week into steel and paper. I hit that 5000 round mark pretty quickly. Do you shoot every single week? Every month? How long is it going to take you to get to a round count like 5000 rounds?

Are you willing to trust your life to a magazine that will "probably work" rather than a factory magazine that has a spectacular reputation for functionality and longevity?

I have a metric shitload of Glock factory magazines in every style and caliber. I have been accumulating them for nearly 30 years. I mean, I have Glock magazines that number into the hundreds in 9mm, 40, 45 and out of all of those I can only remember having to change out springs on five or six and those were magazines that lived in my range bag for around ten years and were part of my match kit.

If you want to put that magazine through its paces...grab a few hundred rounds of ammo and go to the range and run the gun. Don't worry about anything other than recycling that magazine....load/unload/repeat...load it and empty it as quick as you can. Get some heat into it...get rapid compression and decompression through it. See if the polymer "feels" more flexible as it gets warm, feel the spring tension, and most importantly...see if there are ANY magazine related malfunctions. Beat the shit out of it, then beat the shit out of it some more. Toss it in the dirt. Get it wet. Run it. If it stands up to that...then you could reasonably say "This magazine will work for EDC and I will change it out for a new one in a year".

But...if you have any doubt about the gear you are going to stake your life on...pass it by.

IMHO
    With the Magpul mags was that due to the spring needing replacement or because they got dirty ?

The one negative to the magpul Glock mags IME has been they are less tolerant of dirt or other causes of friction inside the mag such as steel cased ammo.

In order to maintain the outer dimensions of the Glock mag and maintain strength in an all plastic mag the Magpul Glock mags have a slightly reduced internal volume compared to a factory mag, resulting in less tolerance inside for dirt etc. There is no free lunch. knowing this I just reserve magpul mags for Practice, IDPA etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    With the Magpul mags was that due to the spring needing replacement or because they got dirty ?

The one negative to the magpul Glock mags IME has been they are less tolerant of dirt or other causes of friction inside the mag such as steel cased ammo.

In order to maintain the outer dimensions of the Glock mag and maintain strength in an all plastic mag the Magpul Glock mags have a slightly reduced internal volume compared to a factory mag, resulting in less tolerance inside for dirt etc. There is no free lunch. knowing this I just reserve magpul mags for Practice, IDPA etc.
    The springs lost tension. Dirt is remedial. When I clean my gun...I brush out my mags.

I understand the physical dynamics and dimensions of the MagPul mags...but as you say...there is no free lunch. At the same time, I'd rather spend a few bucks more for a decent meal, than spend a few bucks less on a frozen burrito...lol.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

User Tag List