Page 91 of 189 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since you shot a 26 and 43X with an optic today, can you share your impressions, including how you liked the RMR vs the 507K?
    I expected the 26 to outperform the 43x and for a minute it looked that way. At the end though I came to a conclusion that the difference was mostly due to my run-to-run variability. 26 was easier to control, 43x was easier to draw, no surprises here. Cumulatively by objective numbers it was a wash while subjectively I felt I had to work harder with the 43x.

I have grown to dislike RMRs and the 507K to me was a better performing optic; perhaps having two similar optics would've changed the outcomes of my short comparison. The only thing that I liked about RMR better was a 6.5 dot which was easier to see in a bright sun. I really wish that Holosun had a 5-6 MOA dot, no circles, option.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I expected the 26 to outperform the 43x and for a minute it looked that way. At the end though I came to a conclusion that the difference was mostly due to my run-to-run variability. 26 was easier to control, 43x was easier to draw, no surprises here. Cumulatively by objective numbers it was a wash while subjectively I felt I had to work harder with the 43x.

I have grown to dislike RMRs and the 507K to me was a better performing optic; perhaps having two similar optics would've changed the outcomes of my short comparison. The only thing that I liked about RMR better was a 6.5 dot which was easier to see in a bright sun. I really wish that Holosun had a 5-6 MOA dot, no circles, option.
    I wish Holosun offered an optic that gave you a choice of selecting either a 5-6 moa dot or just a circle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Kidding aside, I think a MOS G5/26 would be an awesome EDC!
    Which RDS are you likely to use on a G26 MOS?

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    Which RDS are you likely to use on a G26 MOS?
    508T

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, just my general observations.

The slightly faster draw of a full grip is the only thing that has me experimenting every few months with a few different magazine extensions. Each time I try, with the latest trial being last week, I find that I still prefer the feel of the flat baseplate while shooting. I’ve mentioned previously that the extensions tend to make me want to point down as I fire through recoil.

My personal question on speed has always been, “where do I draw the line in the sand?” I’ve used Gabe White’s standards to do this in the past because the standards made sense to me as a way to measure efficiency; light pin territory seems to be a realistic spot for the smaller guns. If you can meet some kind of performance metric (that is recognized as proficient ability), my opinion is to move on and work on something else. I think in the world of shooting it is easy to get sucked in and obsessed over draw times and split times to the point of diminishing returns.

Once you have established a solid foundation, it is time to move into more specific types of training. I.e. learning how to grapple and deploy weapons, seek out actual force on force training, shooting on the move, etc. If you have a 1.25 second draw should you spend the next 4 months trying to get that down to a consistent 1.10 or would you benefit more from training with a local grappling club and sparring with blue guns? Those splits don’t help if your opponent is within arms reach and can effectively shut down every draw attempt you make. This is also why I think a gun with a shorter slide and a blade on your belt are the optimal choices... but that is a topic worth its own thread.

To overly obsess over a few tenths of a second ignores the more important aspects of your preparedness. The internet is full of videos of people standing hunched over with their hands placed at the bottom of their shirts waiting to jump the timer. It just isn’t interesting to me.

As with most things, "balance" is a worthy goal. Balancing speed and accuracy, fitness and competence, verbal judo and knowing when to engage or walk away.

Mindset and the ability to intelligently / physically employ it are the yin and yang...imho.

"Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If there is a "world wide expert" on the technical shooting of the Glock 26, I would say it is C Class for Life, because he made GM in USPSA CO shooting a Glock 26. While USPSA is not tactical shooting, it surely is technical shooting. My recollection, and I hope he comments here, is that the performance delta between a G26 and larger Glock was about 15 percent. (His choice of the 26 was motivated by the notion that it is skill that matters most and he would make GM despite an equipment handicap compared to other CO pistols.) Whether that fifteen percent is meaningful to your use of a pistol can only be answered by you. I do the same analysis regularly, when deciding to carry a slimline or larger pistol.

I get that guys love the G26, and I do too (along with a number of other pistols and calibers). I believe the 26 fights above its weight class, but this notion that the Glock 26 performs better in technical shooting than larger Glock pistols simply conflicts with reality.

I get that guys love the G26, and I do too (along with a number of other pistols and calibers). I believe the 26 fights above its weight class, but this notion that the Glock 26 performs better in technical shooting than larger Glock pistols simply conflicts with reality.
    I shoot the G26 and the G19 equally well or poorly depending on where you are viewing from.

The deputies I currently qualify with and shoot alongside, once mentioned to me that I'd qualify for SWAT. (I've never run their SWAT course and I know my own limitations compared to who and what I was in my middle thirties and early forties on SRT.)

In all the years I qualified with both a G19 and a G26 (standard magazine), my scores were always within a point or two of one another...with one or the other taking the honors on any given day. (And that remains the case to this day with my quals with the local sheriff's office.)

That's my real world take from a distance. I can't speak to sport shooting and competitions. I'm sure it's different with expert marksmen.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    This is not aimed at anyone in particular, just my general observations.

The slightly faster draw of a full grip is the only thing that has me experimenting every few months with a few different magazine extensions. Each time I try, with the latest trial being last week, I find that I still prefer the feel of the flat baseplate while shooting. I’ve mentioned previously that the extensions tend to make me want to point down as I fire through recoil.

My personal question on speed has always been, “where do I draw the line in the sand?” I’ve used Gabe White’s standards to do this in the past because the standards made sense to me as a way to measure efficiency; light pin territory seems to be a realistic spot for the smaller guns. If you can meet some kind of performance metric (that is recognized as proficient ability), my opinion is to move on and work on something else. I think in the world of shooting it is easy to get sucked in and obsessed over draw times and split times to the point of diminishing returns.

Once you have established a solid foundation, it is time to move into more specific types of training. I.e. learning how to grapple and deploy weapons, seek out actual force on force training, shooting on the move, etc. If you have a 1.25 second draw should you spend the next 4 months trying to get that down to a consistent 1.10 or would you benefit more from training with a local grappling club and sparring with blue guns? Those splits don’t help if your opponent is within arms reach and can effectively shut down every draw attempt you make. This is also why I think a gun with a shorter slide and a blade on your belt are the optimal choices... but that is a topic worth its own thread.

To overly obsess over a few tenths of a second ignores the more important aspects of your preparedness. The internet is full of videos of people standing hunched over with their hands placed at the bottom of their shirts waiting to jump the timer. It just isn’t interesting to me.
    I wonder if adding some material to the front of the extensions so they’re even with the front strap would help keep you from levering the pistol down.

I personally prefer to use the 10rd magazine with the 26 because if I can conceal an extension then I’ll usually just throw on a g19 or 17 cut to 19 grip length. I like to optimize the compactness of the 26 since I have the option to carry something larger if I want to. If I was limited to a 26 then the +2 glock mags would be more appealing for carry.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

I'm running a 407K on my 365 XL, it's a 6 MOA dot, no circle.
    I'm starting to think I prefer it to the smaller dot.

User Tag List