Page 20 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I still have all my tupperware cases...and was there for the incident that made Glock change over from the tupperware cases when an agent placed a loaded Glock back over the post and shot himself through the back of his gov't vehicle. (Fortunately just missing the femoral artery.)

Ah, memories...
    Wow I always thought that design was absolutely begging for such an incident to occur, but until now I hadn't heard of it happening.

Complacency is the root cause of most “accidents.” Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know the first G26s came in those cases. I’m too young to have experienced them, but wise enough to stick with a gun and do my best to master it. It is probably why the two-finger grip feels better to me.

On the topic of mag extensions... I think they would be better if they had a forward angle, rather than reverse.

E.g.
    /
    \

Instead of:
    /
    /

IMO: The extensions change the angle of your wrist and makes the gun point down.
    Last edited by GAP; 12-09-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    The barrel is not the only improvement. The Gen 5 triggers are better. Also, the newer Gen 5 guns with the FCS should have the additional breach face cut which improves extraction and ensures full contact with the ejector. While I have not looked inside one of the new Gen 5 26's all of the other Gen 5 guns with FCS have this breach face cut. These improvements, IMHO, make the newer Gen 5 pistols superior to the previous generations.
    I have two Gen 4 G26s that I rate as just outstanding pistols. I agree that the entire Gen 5 make over delivers an all around more robust pistol and probably more mechanically accurate. It's the Gen 5's better trigger that has hung me up.

Close range speed drills, no problem but through Gen 5 models 19, 19X and 45 - across thousands of rounds, I have not been able to deliver "tight shot" performance as well as with Gen 3s or Gen 4s. I don't know if its the finger grooves that suit my long thin fingers or the trigger characteristic of hitting a "wall" before breaking the shot.

From dry firing Gen 5 G26s they seem to match the triggers found on the aforementioned standard frame models.

For whatever reasons, the 43, 43Xs and 48 display more of a wall before breaking the shot than the Gen 5 standard frames guns I've got/had. To my senses they seem more Gen 4ish with a minus connector like.

@GJM and I have been discussing this a fair bit in recent months but I'll leave it to him to offer his observations on that.

For me, as back up vetted carry pistols to keep around, my Gen 4 G26s aren't getting changed out for Gen 5.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've shot a dozen Gen5s (that I can recall) and they are super difficult to slow-fire. Lots of mush/creep after it gets to the wall/second/third stage or whatever you wanna call it.

At speed, they're okay as they don't stack as much as the previous gens.

I think the Gen5 with the breechface cut is the best Glock to date, but anything better than horrible is not how I'd describe the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I've shot a dozen Gen5s (that I can recall) and they are super difficult to slow-fire. Lots of mush/creep after it gets to the wall/second/third stage or whatever you wanna call it.

I think the Gen5 with the breechface cut is the best Glock to date, but anything better than horrible is not how I'd describe the trigger.
    I agree with you on the trigger. It feels like a bad DA trigger because the wall isn't as obvious as the 4th and 3rd gens. Makes it hard to prep the trigger and take the slack out as you are shooting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I have two Gen 4 G26s that I rate as just outstanding pistols. I agree that the entire Gen 5 make over delivers an all around more robust pistol and probably more mechanically accurate. It's the Gen 5's better trigger that has hung me up.

Close range speed drills, no problem but through Gen 5 models 19, 19X and 45 - across thousands of rounds, I have not been able to deliver "tight shot" performance as well as with Gen 3s or Gen 4s. I don't know if its the finger grooves that suit my long thin fingers or the trigger characteristic of hitting a "wall" before breaking the shot.

From dry firing Gen 5 G26s they seem to match the triggers found on the aforementioned standard frame models.

For whatever reasons, the 43, 43Xs and 48 display more of a wall before breaking the shot than the Gen 5 standard frames guns I've got/had. To my senses they seem more Gen 4ish with a minus connector like.

@GJM and I have been discussing this a fair bit in recent months but I'll leave it to him to offer his observations on that.

For me, as back up vetted carry pistols to keep around, my Gen 4 G26s aren't getting changed out for Gen 5.
    JHC,

After posting I realized just how subjective "better" is. For me, I am able to shoot better accuracy wise on the super test with the G5 full frame guns vs the G4 guns. This is the same with slow deliberate work on B8 during the humbler. I attribute this to my hands liking the feel of the G5 trigger over the G4 trigger. I snatch the gun less with a rolling trigger than I do one with a wall. As a reference, my G2.5 and G3 26s each have an NY1/- connector combo. The wall of the G4 guns is a feel that I like less. My accuracy is better with the NY1 combo and the G5 guns. The 43X is close enough to the G5 feel that it is GTG for me.

As much as I appreciate the feel of the new triggers, the biggest thing for me is the breach face cut. Makes the new guns as reliable the old G2 and early G3 9mm guns.

You present a great example of just how broad preferences for the little details matter to different shooters.

This is discussion is creating an urge to do an "all things being equal" analysis of a 26 vs a 43X for my general off duty carry purposes...
    Last edited by Jason M; 12-09-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Complacency is the root cause of most “accidents.” Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know the first G26s came in those cases. I’m too young to have experienced them, but wise enough to stick with a gun and do my best to master it. It is probably why the two-finger grip feels better to me.

On the topic of mag extensions... I think they would be better if they had a forward angle, rather than reverse.

E.g.
    /
    \

Instead of:
    /
    /

IMO: The extensions change the angle of your wrist and makes the gun point down.
    Time for a CAD program and a 3D printer...

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by learnerpermitted View Post
    I agree with you on the trigger. It feels like a bad DA trigger because the wall isn't as obvious as the 4th and 3rd gens. Makes it hard to prep the trigger and take the slack out as you are shooting.
    I see what you guys are saying, but I don’t have any trouble shooting slow-fire groups. It’s hard to compare a G26 to a 1911 or tricked out DA/SA trigger. The benefits over other pistols isn’t in the trigger; it’s in the weight, capacity, concealability, footprint, lack of manual safety, magazine commonality, the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Time for a CAD program and a 3D printer...
    Yep.. kind of like the Geeplate, but with a ~.50” extension that only widens at the front like the Pearce PG-26.

Exactly why one rides in my holster.

Do I like everything about it? Nope.

lots of great info here on the differences between gens. I am learning allot here. Keep it coming fellows...

User Tag List