Page 44 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    In the category of I don't know why. I perform better (as quantitatively measured by timers and targets across multiple drills) with my G26.5 using the plain factory 10 rounders than I can with 12 rounders or the 10 rounders with the Pearce pinky extensions. In fact I am going to Karma gift those extensions here shortly...

I could never manage the original G43 because the grip was simply too small and my drawstroke was never good because I could not acquire a good grip quickly in the holster/bellyband, etc. I had great hopes for the 43X and 48, but after I acquired one of each and spent at least a couple of thousand rounds of trying, I cannot perform with that grip frame, they squirm and move laterally in my hand shot to shot, I could not hit the accuracy or times within 15% of what I can routinely do with a G19.5, and I did not find them that much easier to carry, so I sold them.

After I sold off the 43X and 48, I took my GSSF blue label coupon and bought the 26.5 and could not be happier. It still lets me shoot GSSF in compact division. My measured performance with that gun is within 5% of what I can do with my G19.5 consistently, and some days better.

The absence of the finger grooves, the grip surface, and the gen 5 trigger have me loving this 26.5 gun more than I ever loved my Gen 3 26 back around the turn of the century (and I traded it off 15 years or so ago). I hope to keep this 26.5 in my battery from here on...

Bob Mika made me a great pocket holster for it.
    @fatdog

Awesome. And your experience seems to corroborate @GAP and his take. Exciting news.

Did you have to add back straps?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @fatdog

Awesome. And your experience seems to corroborate @GAP and his take. Exciting news.

Did you have to add back straps?
    If the texture ends up bothering you, I’d recommend just slapping on a rubber talon grip.

I’ll echo the others who prefer the flush mag; it keeps my wrist locked and not wanting to point down.

The +2 OEM work well though if you need the extra grip, I just prefer the smaller footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    If the texture ends up bothering you, I’d recommend just slapping on a rubber talon grip.

I’ll echo the others who prefer the flush mag; it keeps my wrist locked and not wanting to point down.

The +2 OEM work well though if you need the extra grip, I just prefer the smaller footprint.
    Thanks, G. I know nothing about Talon grips. Is there a specific model?

I'm going to experiment, since it's shit weather, and see if the next size back strap moves the "hot" spot to a location where I don't feel the sensitivity. It's simply how the "points" interact with the nerve endings under the skin in one spot. I never noticed it on the Gen 4 G17, so it's a location issue.

[MENTION=13137]Did you have to add back straps?
    Because I run my other G5's with the medium beavertail backstrap I just assumed and installed the medium before I fired round one.

Only 800+ rounds in, I have not felt compelled to try any other config...but I may.

To quote Doc GKR, I have come to believe "feelings lie" when it comes to how a certain grip feels in dry fire, at least in my case. The G48, the whole CZ75 tribe, the HK P30/P30L all felt "perfect"to me, but then I started to shoot them live fire and found out that my shot to shot performance goes to crap with those platforms.....as others have said, "timers and targets don't lie".

The 26.5 with the medium insert feels rather blocky to me, but when I press the trigger and press it again, it works well in my case.

My benchmarks for deciding this "gun and that config" work better or worse in my case are my cumulative results of the Vicker's drill, plus Tom Givens bullseye drill, Cassino drill, 2013 version Rangemaster Instructor Q course, the FAST sans reload, traditional El Pres, and an untimed circle/dot accuracy drill Claude Werner taught me. When I run them and add it all up I count on the results being my personal truth about a handgun.

That is how I came to judge the 26.5 with the medium strap and plain 10 rounder as good for me.....and better than my other performance.

I just installed the medium backstrap a few minutes ago...and things are starting to fall into place.

I'm still a little sensitive to the grip texture, but the medium backstrap immediately accomplished a few things:

It feels much more akin to what I've become accustomed to with the Gen2.5 over the past 25 years

It fills the voids in my hand much better than the naked (original) grip, allowing less movement in the hand if I use my weak hand to push the slide around

The webbing between thumb and index finger gets higher on the backstrap

My hand now wraps the grip at the distal joints of the third and fourth fingers...with mostly only fingertips reaching the weak hand side flat of the grip

It relieves much of the Glock knuckle I was experiencing without the backstrap.

Glad I decided to try it. I wasn't convinced that the small grip was going to be doable. It felt like the 43, which I never cared for in the LGS.

I didn't try the beavertail as I was concerned that it would create issues for concealed carry and I don't have meaty hands.

Truly appreciate the input you guys are providing.

Has anyone used 0.190” front sights? I like the Ameriglo Troopers and prefer 0.125” front sights on guns with a sight radius as short as the G26. The 0.140” fronts look really fat to me whereas they are my preference for G19 sights. Looking on the Ameriglo website, the sets with the 0.140” width front are offered in 0.165”, 0.180”, and 0.200” heights. There is a set listed for the G43 size guns that has a 0.125” width front, but it’s 0.190” tall.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

My G26.5 came with the optional steel (Ameriglo?) sights, which worked well (aim wise). Swapped out the front sight for a fiber optic, which was better, i.e., somewhat brighter in daylight and easier for old eyes to pick up. I'm a bit torn. From an iron sight perspective, I am convinced (reluctantly, as I didn't want to believe) that I could shoot it better than a G19.5. But, with a red dot on the G19.5, I can shoot much better (accuracy- and speed-wise) than with either iron-sighted model.

The "torn" is whether to get Mark Housel to cut the G26.5 for a red dot. What to do . . . what to do . . .

And blues, if it ever stops raining on your end of the state, I expect you'll not be disappointed!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    My G26.5 came with the optional steel (Ameriglo?) sights, which worked well (aim wise). Swapped out the front sight for a fiber optic, which was better, i.e., somewhat brighter in daylight and easier for old eyes to pick up. I'm a bit torn. From an iron sight perspective, I am convinced (reluctantly, as I didn't want to believe) that I could shoot it better than a G19.5. But, with a red dot on the G19.5, I can shoot much better (accuracy- and speed-wise) than with either iron-sighted model.

The "torn" is whether to get Mark Housel to cut the G26.5 for a red dot. What to do . . . what to do . . .

And blues, if it ever stops raining on your end of the state, I expect you'll not be disappointed!!
    You might check Brownell's as I "think" they were selling red dot cut slides.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    You might check Brownell's as I "think" they were selling red dot cut slides.
    Thanks, looked, but didn't see that Brownell's offers the pre-cut slides for Gen 5 Glocks.

Thanks, G. I know nothing about Talon grips. Is there a specific model?

I'm going to experiment, since it's shit weather, and see if the next size back strap moves the "hot" spot to a location where I don't feel the sensitivity. It's simply how the "points" interact with the nerve endings under the skin in one spot. I never noticed it on the Gen 4 G17, so it's a location issue.
    Yeah you just go on talongrips.com and you can select the model and type rubber or granulate. For carry you do not want granulate, it is essentially sandpaper. The rubber is soft and the grip is very thin and shaped to the grip of the gun model.

Also FYI the medium backstrap installed on the Gen 5 gives it the Gen 3 size factory grip. So, if you like that size you might as well stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Has anyone used 0.190” front sights? I like the Ameriglo Troopers and prefer 0.125” front sights on guns with a sight radius as short as the G26. The 0.140” fronts look really fat to me whereas they are my preference for G19 sights. Looking on the Ameriglo website, the sets with the 0.140” width front are offered in 0.165”, 0.180”, and 0.200” heights. There is a set listed for the G43 size guns that has a 0.125” width front, but it’s 0.190” tall.
    I use a .180 height x .125 width Ameriglo proglo (orange)
    Here’s the model number if you are interested: GL-212T-180-OR-C

I have it paired with the Operator rear, it’s green tritium and blacked-out rear dots.

User Tag List