Page 43 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I fell in love with the G26 in 1995 and have never lost the passion for it.
    It took a while for the G26 to really grow on me. At first, it was just something with reliable 10 round magazines that could also fit in my pocket for when I visited my family in NYC. After a while, I began to really see how versatile the little pistol is. How shooting it is closer to shooting a G19 than it is to shooting a G43. The fact that it takes all the double stack magazines of its larger brothers is part of what makes it so versatile too. Use a 12 round mag instead of a 10 round mag and you’ve got a belt carried gun that shoots almost as well as a G19, conceals better, and only sacrifices three rounds. Have a 15, 17, or 24 round mag as a reload. Slap a 10 round mag in and it can be an ankle, pocket, or body armor BUG. Put a 24 or 33 round mag in and the G26 does nightstand duty next to a handheld flashlight. At this point, the G26 is my choice for if I could only have one pistol. Once I get my second one and can dedicate one to dry practice and training, I’m really going to put some effort into mastering the G26 like @GAP.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    It took a while for the G26 to really grow on me. At first, it was just something with reliable 10 round magazines that could also fit in my pocket for when I visited my family in NYC. After a while, I began to really see how versatile the little pistol is. How shooting it is closer to shooting a G19 than it is to shooting a G43. The fact that it takes all the double stack magazines of its larger brothers is part of what makes it so versatile too. Use a 12 round mag instead of a 10 round mag and you’ve got a belt carried gun that shoots almost as well as a G19, conceals better, and only sacrifices three rounds. Have a 15, 17, or 24 round mag as a reload. Slap a 10 round mag in and it can be an ankle, pocket, or body armor BUG. Put a 24 or 33 round mag in and the G26 does nightstand duty next to a handheld flashlight. At this point, the G26 is my choice for if I could only have one pistol. Once I get my second one and can dedicate one to dry practice and training, I’m really going to put some effort into mastering the G26 like @GAP.
    You had me at "It took"

Yep...and for all the right reasons.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Damn you guys lol

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Damn you guys lol
    It's true though. Since I bought the Gen 2.5, I've always been impressed by the "Swiss Army Knife" factor of the 26. It lends itself, imho, to a variety of uses...with little to no compromise.

It's one little gun that does it all. Not for everyone, certainly, but for many.

I've said for years that if I could only have one handgun, it would be the one I'd choose because of the number of roles it fills. I still feel that way.

I need a bunch of range sessions to further vet a 48 which I thought was perfect for a ban state. The more I dry fire it the more funky the skinny grip feels vs my 19. “Feels” probably doesn’t mean much. It’s odd since I have really small hands.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've said for years that if I could only have one handgun, it would be the one I'd choose because of the number of roles it fills.
    "Specialization is for insects."
    Robert A. Heinlein.

My carry is now the G26.5 with SCD, Ameriglos, and Glock 12 round mags.

For all the reasons Mr. @blues has stated so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    My carry is now the G26.5 with SCD, Ameriglos, and Glock 12 round mags.

For all the reasons Mr. @blues has stated so well.
    @Leroy Suggs

You don't get to live as long as you have without some serious smarts, I don't care how many times you change your forum handle.

When my SCD and extended mags show up in the next week or so, I'll have mine set up just like my big brother. I already have the Ameriglos installed.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I need a bunch of range sessions to further vet a 48 which I thought was perfect for a ban state. The more I dry fire it the more funky the skinny grip feels vs my 19. “Feels” probably doesn’t mean much. It’s odd since I have really small hands.
    Interesting. I have medium sized hands and always felt that the Gen2 G19 and Gen2.5 G26 felt a bit "blocky" though I shot them well.

Now, without any back strap added, the Gen5 G26 feels a little "small" in my hand, but I will wait to shoot it before deciding whether to add one.

I know that when I was in the gun shop, the 43 felt too squirmy and awkward in my hand.

I actually hope I don't have to add a back strap, simply to keep the gun pared down to its essence...as long as I shoot it well...but if I have to, I will.

Oddly enough, yesterday I checked where my thumb mates up with my middle finger when gripping the new gun, and if anything, it's slightly further from the joint than when I do the same grip on the Gen2.5 Yet, it doesn't "feel" that way at all. So you're correct that "feel" may not be the best indicator...which is why I'm doing nothing until I shoot it.

In the category of I don't know why

In the category of I don't know why. I perform better (as quantitatively measured by timers and targets across multiple drills) with my G26.5 using the plain factory 10 rounders than I can with 12 rounders or the 10 rounders with the Pearce pinky extensions. In fact I am going to Karma gift those extensions here shortly...

I could never manage the original G43 because the grip was simply too small and my drawstroke was never good because I could not acquire a good grip quickly in the holster/bellyband, etc. I had great hopes for the 43X and 48, but after I acquired one of each and spent at least a couple of thousand rounds of trying, I cannot perform with that grip frame, they squirm and move laterally in my hand shot to shot, I could not hit the accuracy or times within 15% of what I can routinely do with a G19.5, and I did not find them that much easier to carry, so I sold them.

After I sold off the 43X and 48, I took my GSSF blue label coupon and bought the 26.5 and could not be happier. It still lets me shoot GSSF in compact division. My measured performance with that gun is within 5% of what I can do with my G19.5 consistently, and some days better.

The absence of the finger grooves, the grip surface, and the gen 5 trigger have me loving this 26.5 gun more than I ever loved my Gen 3 26 back around the turn of the century (and I traded it off 15 years or so ago). I hope to keep this 26.5 in my battery from here on...

Bob Mika made me a great pocket holster for it.

User Tag List