Page 67 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Good post, @Gun Mutt.

Odd thing for me, with medium hands, (I can count the number of times I've needed large gloves on one hand...pun sorta intended), is that from the first time I went to the range with the G26 to qualify alongside my G19 in 1995 or 1996 up until present day...my scores are invariably within a point or two of each other...whether with an OEM 10 round mag or a +2. Seems to not make a difference whether I have two fingers or three fingers on the grip.

So there's more than hand size to the equation, obviously.

I do work on my hand strength, and also deadlift regularly, though I'm far from setting any kind of performance records.

It's the little gun that can. I really can't think of anything it can't reasonably accomplish. (Other than pocket carry...for me.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks, Blues, but I kinda flubbed my post...I was way too tired with about two too many bourbons in me to have tackled a lengthy missive last night, I was damn near falling asleep as I was finger-slurring and kept editing out typos to the point I lost my train of thought.

What I was trying to get across is how important I've found the curled pinky finger to be, much more so than hand size or strength. People regularly say they eschew the 26 because of the two finger grip (I used to be one of them) and I wanted to encourage any fence sitters to consider an improvement to their grip that lets one get the most out of the platform when carrying it in its smallest configuration. Total bonus is an improvement when gripping larger pistols, too.

Site Supporter
    Really interesting observations about the pinky's role in the G26 grip. I too am a thumb over bar lifter. My pinky curls beneath the flat bottom mag too. When shooting strong hand only I curl my shooting hand thumb down like a revolver grip. The middle and ring finger do the "crush grip" thing as Jeff describes. The blanching of the finger tips tells the tale...

I posted a pic in the Glock photo thread that shows that very thing... I'll try to copy it over here.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....4&d=1590261376

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Thanks, Blues, but I kinda flubbed my post...I was way too tired with about two too many bourbons in me to have tackled a lengthy missive last night, I was damn near falling asleep as I was finger-slurring and kept editing out typos to the point I lost my train of thought.

What I was trying to get across is how important I've found the curled pinky finger to be, much more so than hand size or strength. People regularly say they eschew the 26 because of the two finger grip (I used to be one of them) and I wanted to encourage any fence sitters to consider an improvement to their grip that lets one get the most out of the platform when carrying it in its smallest configuration. Total bonus is an improvement when gripping larger pistols, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Really interesting observations about the pinky's role in the G26 grip. I too am a thumb over bar lifter. My pinky curls beneath the flat bottom mag too. When shooting strong hand only I curl my shooting hand thumb down like a revolver grip. The middle and ring finger do the "crush grip" thing as Jeff describes. The blanching of the finger tips tells the tale...

I posted a pic in the Glock photo thread that shows that very thing... I'll try to copy it over here.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....4&d=1590261376
    After reading the post from @Gun Mutt last night, I took out my 26 to see how my grip compares. I find that while my pinky finger curls under the magazine, it just pretty much stays there lending a bit of support as opposed to mating up forcefully with the palm. All force is employed by the middle and ring fingers.

I have to make a concerted effort to grip the gun the way @Gun Mutt does, and don't know that it would come naturally. I may try it next time out and will practice dry firing like that as well to see if it becomes more natural.

Definitely not a thumb over bar lifter. The only time I do that is when I hang from the pull-up bar during warm-ups. But I also have relatively short thumbs in relation to my finger length.

Talon Grip should be here today according to USPS...so I'm excited to try that. (Thanks again, @TC215)

One thing I also like is how the two finger grip with curled pinky for the G26, reinforces the strong hand two finger grip with my J frame 642-1. Complementary firearms.

The best single ergonomic change I made to my 26.5 (and 33.4, and 43 for that matter) is fitting GeePlates to my standard magazines. The small tooth really makes a difference in hand positioning for the draw, and based on a single session with a friend’s timer it significantly improves splits. Plus, it just feels like a more secure grip. I curl my pinky under the baseplate. My reload has a Glock +2.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    One thing I also like is how the two finger grip with curled pinky for the G26, reinforces the strong hand two finger grip with my J frame 642-1. Complementary firearms.
    Back when the 26 & 27 were first introduced, I was eager to get one and I remember reading an article by @Mas where he said something to the effect that people who were worried about the two finger grip had probably owned and shot j-frames, some of them for decades, without being bothered by this issue.

Back when the 26 & 27 were first introduced, I was eager to get one and I remember reading an article by @Mas where he said something to the effect that people who were worried about the two finger grip had probably owned and shot j-frames, some of them for decades, without being bothered by this issue.
    Yep. I started carrying a Model 36 five shot on and off duty in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The best single ergonomic change I made to my 26.5 (and 33.4, and 43 for that matter) is fitting GeePlates to my standard magazines. The small tooth really makes a difference in hand positioning for the draw, and based on a single session with a friend’s timer it significantly improves splits. Plus, it just feels like a more secure grip. I curl my pinky under the baseplate. My reload has a Glock +2.
    Did you find the geeplates to pinch your pinkie? I have the gap plates on a few of my 26 mags and I like them. I just find it pinches my pinkie. I never had that problem with my 43.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Did you find the geeplates to pinch your pinkie? I have the gap plates on a few of my 26 mags and I like them. I just find it pinches my pinkie. I never had that problem with my 43.
    Not at all. I’ve never even handled GAP plates, but I believe there are subtle differences.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I remember seeing my first 26 at a gun store in Sioux Falls, SD in (1995?) - I was besotted by the size, but IIRC the 27 wasn’t out yet and at the time I was deep in .40 mode with my 23. It took me until 2016 or 2017 to finally buy a baby G, in my case a 33.4. The 26.5 made a total believer out of me, and my aging eyes anxiously await release of the MOS version.
    Ken

User Tag List