Page 71 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Site Supporter
    The grooves are very user dependent. In my hands, the 26 needs them. The 19/17/45 neither needs grooves nor back strap attachments. FWIW I've recently discovered that the best fitting Glock in my hand is a Gen 3 30sf.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Also put a medium back strap on the G17 while I was at it so the grip would be the same on all of them. Felt just a little loose in hand without the back strap.
    I've done the same. I have larger hands than you (at least glove size wise), and while the "naked frame" felt very nice in the hands, when it came to shooting the medium back strap locks me in better.

Adding to your later post, I also started with a gen 2 G19 and mistrusted the finger grooves, but upon shooting my first gen 3, a G23 (sometime in the mid 90s during the 40 S&W craze), they just worked for me. I have one gen 5, G19X, that I really like, but I wish it had the finger grooves. My hand isn't particularly beefy (size L gloves) and the grooves fit me just right. Frankly, in terms of personal fit, the gen 3 is just right no matter the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    BLUF: The stubby gun is more secure in my paws when it has finger grooves.
    I thought something like that would happen, which is why I'll keep to my gen 3 G26.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I've done the same. I have larger hands than you (at least glove size wise), and while the "naked frame" felt very nice in the hands, when it came to shooting the medium back strap locks me in better.

Adding to your later post, I also started with a gen 2 G19 and mistrusted the finger grooves, but upon shooting my first gen 3, a G23 (sometime in the mid 90s during the 40 S&W craze), they just worked for me. I have one gen 5, G19X, that I really like, but I wish it had the finger grooves. My hand isn't particularly beefy (size L gloves) and the grooves fit me just right. Frankly, in terms of personal fit, the gen 3 is just right no matter the size.

I thought something like that would happen, which is why I'll keep to my gen 3 G26.
    I think the reason why, T, is that my hands are not particularly beefy or meaty, as in thick. So, what I believe is the situation is that the hollow cup created by wrapping my hand around the (naked) grip, leaves portions of the grip which are not being mushed and meshed in to the flesh of the hand.

The slightly larger grip afforded by the medium back strap means that more of the grip is mating with the flesh wrapped around it, with less gaps left unattended.

If my hand was thicker, I might not need the back strap, due to a shallower "cup". It's kind of counter intuitive but is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

My hands are strong enough from grip work and deadlifting, I just couldn't make up for the places plastic and flesh did not seem to meld.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think the reason why, T, is that my hands are not particularly beefy or meaty, as in thick. So, what I believe is the situation is that the hollow cup created by wrapping my hand around the (naked) grip, leaves portions of the grip which are not being mushed and meshed in to the flesh of the hand.

The slightly larger grip afforded by the medium back strap means that more of the grip is mating with the flesh wrapped around it, with less gaps left unattended.

If my hand was thicker, I might not need the back strap, due to a shallower "cup". It's kind of counter intuitive but is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

My hands are strong enough from grip work and deadlifting, I just couldn't make up for the places plastic and flesh did not seem to meld.
    That makes sense.

Did you find that your hand also wasn't getting quite as high and solid on the grip? It's one of the things that bugged me, I would get a tad bit more muzzle flip and no matter how much harder I gripped, being only a little bit lower (the naked grip sort of required getting the web of the hand deeper in), it still didn't give me control I wanted. Put the medium back strap on and everything went back to normal.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That makes sense.

Did you find that your hand also wasn't getting quite as high and solid on the grip? It's one of the things that bugged me, I would get a tad bit more muzzle flip and no matter how much harder I gripped, being only a little bit lower (the naked grip sort of required getting the web of the hand deeper in), it still didn't give me control I wanted. Put the medium back strap on and everything went back to normal.
    I think so...and your observation matches my own.

Installed it on my G26.5 and I really like it so far from just dry fire. Thank you @GAP for the recommendation
    Last edited by Savage Hands; 01-21-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Installed it in my G26.5 and I really like it so far from just dry fire. Thank you @GAP for the recommendation
    You're supposed to use it on the outside.

(Glock humor...gotta love it. )

You're supposed to use it on the outside.

(Glock humor...gotta love it. )

HAHAHA, fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    The grooves are very user dependent. In my hands, the 26 needs them. The 19/17/45 neither needs grooves nor back strap attachments. FWIW I've recently discovered that the best fitting Glock in my hand is a Gen 3 30sf.

I cant seem to get my hands on a Gen 5. If I come across one I will be buying it.
    I have a gen 4 that I have had for years and with the ammo shortage I have decided to commit to the 26 for 2021. I am for the most part only carrying and shooting it for the year. I removed the grooves so that if I find a 5 my current will become my practice and the 5 my carry.

The only complaint I have is pinching my ring finger. I don't know if its gotten worse since I removed the grooves. I know it pinched with the GAP baseplates but don't think it did with the stock. I normally use the stock baseplates. I got curious about back straps. I tried the medium with beavertail and I like the way it locks into my hand and points straight in stead of my normal just a smidge to the left. One thing I am thinking is the added girth is going to cause my ring finger to ride in a different spot and I dont think its gonna pinch. I am going to take it to the range in a few days and see what I find.

I feel I was lucky finding a new gen 3 26 during these times. At first I thought I was getting a lesser gun than a gen5. The only problem was finding a Grip force Adapter for it. I need the added beavertail to shoot any Glock with my hand size. I've been shooting it for the past two months and loving it. The g26 and my g45 make for a great combination.
    Last edited by Smitty; 01-23-2021 at 06:02 PM.

User Tag List