Page 70 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Site Supporter
    I have always worn a liner shirt beneath whatever else I’m wearing. Most of the time it’s a t-shirt of some sort. I the summer I’ll wear a tank under an outer t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I have always worn a liner shirt beneath whatever else I’m wearing. Most of the time it’s a t-shirt of some sort. I the summer I’ll wear a tank under an outer t-shirt.
    In the cooler months I generally have a long sleeve t-shirt under my sweatshirt.

In summer months, if I wear an inner layer, I have been pleased with these Under Armour compression shirts. They hold up quite well in my experience. I picked up a half dozen for a good price a year or two back.

Otherwise, I just go without an inner shirt.

But I wondered if the 3M material would make me change my policy when I eventually get around to putting it on a carry gun.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I use the UA compression shirts too. The 3M tape on the Gen 5 is not much more "grabby" than the stippling that I have on my Gen 2.5/3. I have worn it against bare skin and it is not bad. The roughest part of the older gun is the Heinie rear sight. The sight slides over the UA shirts but grabs and bunches cotton like the generic "beater" tanks. The 3M tape performs about the same.

I use the UA compression shirts too. The 3M tape on the Gen 5 is not much more "grabby" than the stippling that I have on my Gen 2.5/3. I have worn it against bare skin and it is not bad. The roughest part of the older gun is the Heinie rear sight. The sight slides over the UA shirts but grabs and bunches cotton like the generic "beater" tanks. The 3M tape performs about the same.
    I just put a couple of strips on each of the side panels of my G19 size Blue Gun and G17 size Blackhawk Demonstrator. The stuff is great. Not too aggressive, feels good in the hand and locks the training guns in nicely.

I didn't even bother putting any on the front strap as both trainers have finger grooves and I didn't really feel it needed any.

Very pleased. Hopefully the adhesive will stay viable for a good long time. May put some on my Gen2.5 G26 before my next qual.

Did you put any on your older Glocks with finger grooves? If so, where? Pix welcome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I just put a couple of strips on each of the side panels of my G19 size Blue Gun and G17 size Blackhawk Demonstrator. The stuff is great. Not too aggressive, feels good in the hand and locks the training guns in nicely.

I didn't even bother putting any on the front strap as both trainers have finger grooves and I didn't really feel it needed any.

Very pleased. Hopefully the adhesive will stay viable for a good long time. May put some on my Gen2.5 G26 before my next qual.

Did you put any on your older Glocks with finger grooves? If so, where? Pix welcome.
    All of my non-Gen 5 guns have been stippled. My issued G45 has 3M tape in the GAP configuration. We had a range day today. I ran my older G26 against the new Gen 5. Will post some thoughts on the differences between the two in the am.

All of my non-Gen 5 guns have been stippled. My issued G45 has 3M tape in the GAP configuration. We had a range day today. I ran my older G26 against the new Gen 5. Will post some thoughts on the differences between the two in the am.
    Looking forward to the comparo. (I'm still smitten with my Gen2.5, but I appreciate the upgrades of the Gen5.)

Just added the @GAP tape to the grip side panels (only) of my three earlier generation Glocks.

Also put a medium back strap on the G17 while I was at it so the grip would be the same on all of them. Felt just a little loose in hand without the back strap.

Curious to hear your thoughts as well. I have a Gen4 that has been my daily go to for years but interested in purchasing the Gen5.

Site Supporter
    So... I shot some failure drills at 15 yards with both the Gen 3 and Gen 5. BLUF: The stubby gun is more secure in my paws when it has finger grooves.

I'm taking the discussion of speed off the table because of sights. The 5 has the bold sights which I don't like (and am slower with) and the 3 has Heinies which I like and have used for a long time. My eye finds the Heinies faster. The timer says so.

Both guns were run with flat bottom mags. 124gr NATO ball was used. The 5 has GAP tape and a medium "no beaver tail" back strap installed. The 3 has stippling on front and back strap with the finger grooves left in place. It also has a TD Vickers mag catch and slide stop. The holster was a DSG Orion.

Draw and recoil control were perceived to be easier with the 3. It seemed to lend itself to a solid master grip easier and needed less "crush" to control recoil. Both guns were easy to use and keeping rounds in a 5.5 in circle like the black on a B-8 was pretty effortless. All things being equal, I think the finger grooves are more sure for me. Both guns are reliable and accurate but I grab the 3 with slightly greater ease than the 5. Next time (no pun intended) I'll have batteries for my timer and Heinies on the 5 to do a repeat comparison.

Also ran some officer down/single hand manipulations. The 3 was much easier with which to do support hand only empty mag ejections. The longer shape of the 5's mag catch is harder for me to reach.
    Last edited by Jason M; 01-20-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Good stuff, Jason. We're of like minds again, not surprisingly.

When I got my Gen2 G19, for years afterward I heard people moaning and groaning about the finger grooves on Glocks, so I developed an antipathy for them which was not based upon experience, but conjecture and hearsay.

When I got the Gen2.5 G26 some years afterward, I found that I shot the gun pretty much as well as the 19, but the grip being a two finger grip vs. the three finger grip of the G19, they weren't an apples to apples comparison.

A few years back, my Gen2 G19 developed a crack and chip at the mag well and Glock said they'd take care of it under warranty. Only catch was that there were no more Gen2 frames to replace it with, and I was disappointed when I was told that I'd get a Gen3 frame to replace it with.

Little did I know that when I put the Gen3 frame on, I liked it better than the non-finger grooved Gen2. It locked into my medium sized hand better, felt more secure and I shot it as well or better than the straight grip. So, I revised my opinion about the finger grooves.

The Gen4 G17 with grooves felt good in my hand from the get-go and I left it with the M back strap off until today when I decided that the M size just fills my hand better without gaps and voids.

Now that I have the Gen5 G26, it's my only Glock without finger grooves. The Talon Grips feel great in my hand with the M back strap, so I have no worries there, but if I had a choice in the matter, I'd probably opt for a grooved grip as it just seems to work better for me overall.

I understand that many folks found that the finger grooves didn't work for their (large) hands, especially on the 17, but that is not my experience, fortunately.

Really like my Gen5 G26, but I won't be getting rid of the Gen2.5...ever, even though I carry the Gen5. The older one is for training and quals now.

User Tag List