Page 66 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I think I have a roll of 3M stair tape somewhere in my house. I want to try it on my front strap. I use the medium backstrap with the beavertail on my G26.5, but I use the large on my G19.5. I thought they'd be the same for both, but nope. The large beavertail felt wrong on the G26.
    I did the front strap only thing first. It didn’t solve the squirms and the G5 was on the way out the door. I tried applying the tape EXACTLY as shown by GAP. It’s perfect. When it comes to traction enhancements... GAP nails it.

And... the Primary & Secondary podcast #253 is chock full o win. It is one of the best discussions of CCW issues I’ve heard yet. Everyone with a gun, no matter their CCW needs/roles, needs to give that a listen and then reevaluate their needs/roles. I’m making my whole shift listen to it this week for informal con-Ed.
    Last edited by Jason M; 01-10-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    And... the Primary & Secondary podcast #253 is chock full o win. It is one of the best discussions of CCW issues I’ve heard yet. Everyone with a gun, no matter their CCW needs/roles, needs to give that a listen and then reevaluate their needs/roles. I’m making my whole shift listen to it this week for informal con-Ed.
    Yes it is, I listened to it last week. I'm going to listen to it again this week.
    --Jason--

I made it about half an hour and had to turn it off.

Did they ever get past ‘I’m a cop and I feel fine with a baby Glock or a J-Frame, nobody needs more than that because... I’m a cop’?

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

Did they ever get past ‘I’m a cop and I feel fine with a baby Glock or a J-Frame, nobody needs more than that because... I’m a cop’?
    You'll have to listen to find out.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I don’t think they made these comments from the mindset of “private citizens shouldn’t be carrying XYZ.” I took it as the panel coming from the Claude Werner point of view where everyone tells you they carry XYZ so you can carry XYZ also, but those people don’t actually have to work in an environment where you lose your entire livelihood if you’re caught armed. I got so much out of this episode I’ll be listening to it again. I recommend giving it another try.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thanks everyone for the Podcast referral.
    I didn't have much patience to listen to 3.5 hours of people-unknown-to-me talking. I started jumping ahead in ~10 minute increments and never heard any specifics about what to carry or what they carried.

There was a story of Federal cops being asked by NJ State cops whether the Fed-Cops werer carrying hollow point ammo. The story didn't end with any results as to what happened or what the context of the NJ State's question was. The point of the story was more regarding how in NJersey, even cops from other locales/jurisdictions may not be legally safe to carry.

The discussion lightly covered holster selection; how a Glock 34 was more comfortable to one of the panelists than a Glock 19; how it's difficult to determine on the internet what's good info from an "SME" vs. just subjective opinion from the internet population.

I suppose I really don't care what (or even if) someone else carries &/or that person's rationale. I do notice on this forum there are a variety of preferences, whether it's a revolver, semiauto, various brands & models; and there always seems to be somebody who has enough time & money to try the latest brand & model.

Maybe we should just continue with the discussion of the Gen5 G26 and leave off extraneous discussion that is not related to that firearm. I'd hate to see such a good and useful thread (in a technical forum) devolve.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Cool

I posted this in the G26 extended baseplate discussion but have been advised by our resident G26 whisperer @GAP that it would be a good fit here too:

Here it is...

When reading the last from @GAP https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....basepads/page5 I found myself thinking along the same lines. When I got my first 26 (about the time they came out) I was doing a lot of gym rat time. Deadlifts, pull-ups, etc helped develop a great deal of grip strength. After getting a red 26 (with a flat bottom profile), it went to the mat room and was "rolled around" with. This was before AIWB and was done with Kramer leather products. They survived! The stubby slide did hamper gun grabbers when the gun was out of the holster. The stubby grip made it harder for grabbers trying to snatch it from the holster. The strong 2 finger grip did not hamper weapon retention abilities in or out of the holster. I think its size made it easier to cover while in the holster.

In the spirit of "chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry" everyone has what works for them. I shoot from a more or less traditional position. Being a bigger mammal, I have some weight behind the gun. G26 recoil seems to come straight back into my hands with less muzzle rise than one would expect from the little gun. This is even so with a one handed grip from awkward positions. The 43x does not feel the same. The 43x is workable but the fatter 26 grip feels better and (for me) is easier for sight tracking.

I also like how the 26 is "scalable" for task/conditions/location based on magazines. Fair warning to those who are tuned off by this: I'm going to apply some cop context here but it is likely applicable to non-cops too :-)

I frequently carry the 26 off-duty. Usually with a G19 reload and now with a 10 round OEM mag in the gun. This provides a great deal of capability. The small, reliable, easy to carry/deploy package makes for a great "save me" gun. (Think robbery, etc.) The longer reload gives a little more time in the game with one manipulation of the gun versus another 10 round for a reload in the less likely event of an extended "save me" scenario. (Think multiple robbers or a targeted attack.) The gun can also be scaled up with bigger/more mags if going someplace in which there may be legal, moral, or ethical imperative to have a "save others" gun . (Think employment or school shooting rather than a coordinated terrorist action.)

The gun can also be scaled down to comply with mag restriction laws. From where I live, any travel in a northeasterly direction requires flat bottom mags in the gun and on the belt. I even keep 3 OEM 10 rounders in my vehicle. Sometimes I have to make an unplanned journey to those places.

All things considered, the little beast is pretty versatile! As others have mentioned, If limited to only one pistol, given my needs for the foreseeable future, the 26 would very likely be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    It’s been three months, so I just sent a followup email to Glock USA asking about the new 26.5 MOS that was announced in sausageland. I keep waffling between having my current 26.5 milled or waiting for the MOS.

https://eu.glock.com/en/products/pistols/g26-gen5-mos
    Annnnd... blown off with a “Nothing has been announced concerning the 26Gen5 MOS at this time.”
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Fear Not the 2 Finger Grip

Debated putting this in the Glock +2 Mag thread or here...decided on here as its more G26-centric.

Tagging onto the terrific @Jason M post, I'm also a larger mammal that lifts weights 5 days a week. For me, it's not just the strength of my grip, it's also the Kung-Fu technique. It's been some 30 pages since I linked this Jeff Gonzales-Trident Concepts blog post that @GAP brought up, and I've got time to expand upon it.

TL/DR
    : grip strength/stability begins at the pinky finger. When shooting a G26 (or ilk), curl the pinky finger into your palm as though you're making a fist, it'll pay dividends when shooting larger pistols as well.

As I've said, I need XL gloves, especially because I have not just prehensile, but sorta re-hensile thumbs. Note the line of the bone from the medial to the distal thumb joint in both pics. Some would say pic 1 is a flagged thumb and pic 2 is thumb forward, to me; same-same, but I can produce more grip pressure with the higher flag.

Name:  Thumb1.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  Thumb2.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  44.4 KB

This configuration is why I prefer a thumb-over-bar grip for most lifts.

Name:  Thumb3.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  35.9 KB

What I'm getting at is what I think I understand to be the importance of properly gripping the 26 (and subsequently all pistols) from the bottom up...it just happens to have greater impact on one's ability with the G26.

An LEO buddy of mine has a Hyve +2 base plate to gift to me when next we pass and I'm looking forward to working with it, but I'm dubious that it will make it into my regular edc rotation. I'm seriously dedicated to my 2 finger G26 grip.

User Tag List