Page 84 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

I’ve been experimenting with a few dots on pistols to see if it is something I want on my G26.

As much as I want them to operate like a red dot on a rifle, I am not convinced that it is more efficient for typical self defense ranges. I did shoot some of the smaller pistols well at 25 yards+, but my eye sight is very good and I am able to do the same with irons.

I believe the current pistol RDS systems are evolving rapidly, but they aren’t there yet for me to commit.

Maybe Gen 6...

Pretty normal for the process -- I was in and out on dots multiple times before going full dot. Unlike a rifle that is a no compromise upgrade from irons to dot, the pistol has more trade offs and a much steeper learning curve.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm old school, I guess. I very much enjoy the Aimpoint on my AR.

I have no interest in anything similar for my Glocks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We had beautiful weather today so I decided to splurge and shoot my entire carry mag of 147gr HST. I was quickly reminded why I chose this as my G26 carry round. From 25 yards out, all eleven rounds formed a nice 3” group in the middle of the target. The rest of the session was spent on D5’s from 25 yards with my carry G26.5 and S&W 642. For this drill, I switched back and forth between two very different triggers and left one, random cylinder empty through each cycle. This type of practice really forces you to not be lazy through your trigger pulls...hint hint for those who struggle with 25 yard groups.

Outside of reloads, the draw may be the hardest thing to master with the “stubby” grips. Therefore, if you are going to carry one you need to really get past that mental roadblock and learn how to do it well. I do almost zero dry firing.. but I do a lot of dry practice. This includes a lot of draws from concealment and grappling with blue guns. I have found that I prefer the short grip and slide for entangled scenarios where the smaller footprint actually makes it easier to deploy and offers less leverage to your opponent if he grabs it.

I suppose this is why my mindset as a self proclaimed “minimalist” prioritizes mindset, fundamentals, and mobility. I.e. The first option is to run. If I have to shoot, I am confident in my ability to hit at distance. If it becomes an entanglement, I don’t want to be wearing extra stuff that makes it harder for me to grapple. Ever try to triangle choke someone while being jabbed by an AIWB holster and an AIWB mag pouch? For those still listening, my point is that there are far more important considerations to be made than if your latest gadget is made in China or that your new translucent spare magazine holds an additional 20 rounds that you will never use.

I didn’t originally plan to discuss how I practice (or why I carry what I do) but as I started typing, it led me to the conclusion that most of my self defense training does not actually involve live fire. It is actually very minimal. Food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm old school, I guess. I very much enjoy the Aimpoint on my AR.

I have no interest in anything similar for my Glocks.
    Repeat saying this daily, morning and night, and you may succeed in warding off the pistol mounted optic!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Repeat saying this daily, morning and night, and you may succeed in warding off the pistol mounted optic!
    You clearly don't know the depth of my resolve. I went without night sights for 30 years on my G19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You clearly don't know the depth of my resolve. I went without night sights for 30 years on my G19.
    But you'll get killed in da streets if you don't have night sights!!
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    But you'll get killed in da streets if you don't have night sights!!
    I frolic among the walking dead.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I’ve been experimenting with a few dots on pistols to see if it is something I want on my G26.

As much as I want them to operate like a red dot on a rifle, I am not convinced that it is more efficient for typical self defense ranges. I did shoot some of the smaller pistols well at 25 yards+, but my eye sight is very good and I am able to do the same with irons.

I believe the current pistol RDS systems are evolving rapidly, but they aren’t there yet for me to commit.

Maybe Gen 6...
    If you have good eyesight the red dot will be less of a marksmanship advantage for you then for those with older or otherwise compromised eyesight.

However, the other big advantage is that being threat focused allows you to gather more information and make better shoot no shoot decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    We had beautiful weather today so I decided to splurge and shoot my entire carry mag of 147gr HST.
    I didn’t realize we had a millionaire among us.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List