Page 82 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Wearing it lower puts more of the guns weight below the waistline. This allows more of the gun to ride below the belt and equals a more secure ride when rolling around on the mats. My AIWB draw is a little odd. This is probably from having a Safariland 0705 holster in the beginning. Emphasis was placed on driving the web of the hand into the beavertail. The S&W 669 was a stubby little thing (like the 26) and needed to be manhandled from that holster. My current draw is like a 2 stage version of that. I like driving in with the thumb first then closing my hand to complete the grip. I'll trade the more secure ride in the waistband if there is a small time penalty to be paid. Its probably not the fastest but it is reliably repeatable.

I've played the role of knuckle dragger so long that I hardly feel the contact with the top edge of the belt ;-)
    @Jason M

Funny how things change and / or evolve over time. I used to do that method but since I had increased clearance with the slightly higher ride, I was scooping more than driving down from the top.

I practiced the thumb drive, (like I used to do), today with the lower ride setting, and it worked just fine...and you're right, the center of gravity being lower feels better and hides better. I'll leave one holster in the other position for now...and decide down the road if I want both set up identically for the sake of uniformity.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    ... We workshopped the issue of not having a free support hand to lift a shirt and worked a method to facilitate a one handed AIWB/IWB draw. It's not as blisteringly fast at a 2 hand draw but it is first time/every time reliable. It seemed, at least to me, as being valuable because I can think of a lot of other things for a support hand to be doing at a time like that.
    What is the method of the one-handed draw?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    You forgot address Master Po properly...

.. @Jason M

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Hand making the draw begins flat against thigh below the gun, flex elbow with hand in a thumbs up position, ride up under the cover garment with palm against torso, lift elbow and rotate thumb to a flexed position, drive straight down to insert thumb behind gun and begin grip, finish grip by closing hand around gun, forearm pins cover garment against body, draw straight up. This works with AIWB or IWB in a 1:00 to 4:00 position. If IWB, just make an arc once the thumb has scooped the garment to be able to drive the drawing hand straight down for the draw. Awkward explanation but it works.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I like this discussion around initial grips, especially with the G26. I’ve noticed a lot of AIWB guys flagging their thumbs on the rear of the slide. I have always felt like I established a more secure grip by slamming the web of my thumb down into the backstrap and wrapping my thumb around as if I was going to shoot one-handed. This may be even more important to me since I do not use an extended magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I like this discussion around initial grips, especially with the G26. I’ve noticed a lot of AIWB guys flagging their thumbs on the rear of the slide. I have always felt like I established a more secure grip by slamming the web of my thumb down into the backstrap and wrapping my thumb around as if I was going to shoot one-handed. This may be even more important to me since I do not use an extended magazine.
    That sounds like a very good habit to break, imho.

@GAP, if I recall correctly, I believe @Jason M is carrying the 10 round mag and a larger spare as well.

In fact, I went back to doing the same some months back after reading about you two doing so.

(It makes sense to me on a few levels...and is how I carried for most years in the past.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You forgot address Master Po properly...

.. @Jason M

Master Kung Po. Jason M likes his chicken spicy.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Ironic the timing of these posts as I had planned to bring up this very topic this weekend.

Last Sunday night, I was experimenting with my initial grip at the draw, the goal was to eliminate those random occasions where my middle finger wasn't exactly in it's proper position and needed a little shifting to seat the grip perfectly. I know from my range time that the less than perfect grip doesn't hinder my up close and fast shooting, but like everyone these days, I'm doing a shitload of dry work and the issue was able to bug me enough to do something about it.

I quickly discovered that using a thumbs down, crush grip on the draw and letting my thumb flag to it's preferred position during the presentation resulted in a perfect grip every time with no need to shift or settle. Fuck, I've spent the last 23yrs drawing with a flagged thumb. Er, I mean, Yay, I figured out an improvement!

I thought about the how and why of how my flagged thumb drawstroke and I can trace it back to the week I spent at Thunder Ranch in 1998. I was a low thumb shooter until Clint Smith urged me to try it his way and I've never looked back. I vacillated between a G19 and a 1911 back then and the flagged thumb draw melded well with deactivating and riding of the thumb safety. I also ran the leather and horsehide holsters of that era and when reholstering either style of pistol one would ride the thumb atop the back of the slide to firmly push through any resistance in fully seating it all the way in the holster. I transitioned fully to kydex and AIWB at about the same time and didn't even consider that there was a better way to do things.

I've been working on retraining my initial grip and I've got a long way to go to make this my new normal...but, you know, in a good way, not a Faucci, double/triple mask kind of new normal.

I saw @Glock26 ‘s post, but is anyone else running a red dot on a G26?

I’ve considered trying this route, but would be interested in hearing more opinions and seeing a few pictures of the setups.

I saw @Glock26 ‘s post, but is anyone else running a red dot on a G26?

I’ve considered trying this route, but would be interested in hearing more opinions and seeing a few pictures of the setups.
    I second this. Especially wanting to see Glock 26s w/ Jagerworks low mounted 509T.

User Tag List