Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Security Monitoring and Alarm Systems

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't know about Abode, but with SimpliSafe the default is for the privacy shutter to be closed when the system is Off or in Home mode....it only stays open when in Away mode. These defaults can be changed in the app. However, if the shutter is closed, it will automatically open for veiwing even in home/off if you go into the app and click the camera to view. So, in the end if anyone has a concern about privacy then the whole shutter thing might be for nothing, because I imagine whoever hacks into the feed will also give themselves the ability to open the shutter.
    Did you manage to fix the issues with the cameras?

I have a cellular based system from Frontpoint security that we've had for 7 years but I was thinking of switching, maybe to something like SS, and also include cameras.

BTW, I recently took the "Unthinkable" class from William Aprill, and the story he told about the small alarm company owner psychopath that would rob his customers eventually, and ended up skinning one of his victims that he found sleeping on his couch when he went to rob his home has definitely validated the concept of installing your own system through a vetted company! I know I know, not likely to happen, but still!

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Did you manage to fix the issues with the cameras?
    Yes. They have a reset button that wasn't working......I don't know if I just wasn't holding the button in for 10 seconds straight as it's small, I might have inadvertently lost pressure on it at some point. In any case, I just kept trying to reset them after a few tries and they eventually popped open to read the QR code.

The video quality is much better than our 2010 vintage Vivint camera system, and the audio picks up a LOT, even whispers.

Now that the cameras are set up, we are happy with the system. The cameras automatically pop open and record any event, such as arming/disarming or a sensor being alerted. The camera does not wait for the alarm to go off in order to record.....it will start recording as soon as the sensor is tripped when the system is still in the countdown mode.

We thought the system was still in practice mode and purposely set it off, and it turned out to be 100% activated. The monitoring service called within seconds, so sample size of 1 and all, but we're happy with the monitoring service as well.

If your local fire/police require an alarm permit to be on file in order to respond to an alarm activation, SimpliSafe has most of that researched and will automatically mail that form to you as well. The monitoring service can also have specific information added to your account to pass onto the 911 dispatcher as well.....for us, we let them know that we have ANSI grade 1 high security locks and security glass. In the event that rescue has to make a forced entry, then they will be able to save time and attack the door properly from the start instead of wasting time figuring out that our house is hardened.

So, thumbs down for not making it clear in the instructions on how to hook up to Fios, which has over 5 million customers and predates SimpliSafe. Thumbs up for customer service.

I eagerly await the arrival of their outdoor camera and doorbell setup which is due to be released late 2018.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Yes. They have a reset button that wasn't working......I don't know if I just wasn't holding the button in for 10 seconds straight as it's small, I might have inadvertently lost pressure on it at some point. In any case, I just kept trying to reset them after a few tries and they eventually popped open to read the QR code.

The video quality is much better than our 2010 vintage Vivint camera system, and the audio picks up a LOT, even whispers.

Now that the cameras are set up, we are happy with the system. The cameras automatically pop open and record any event, such as arming/disarming or a sensor being alerted. The camera does not wait for the alarm to go off in order to record.....it will start recording as soon as the sensor is tripped when the system is still in the countdown mode.

We thought the system was still in practice mode and purposely set it off, and it turned out to be 100% activated. The monitoring service called within seconds, so sample size of 1 and all, but we're happy with the monitoring service as well.

If your local fire/police require an alarm permit to be on file in order to respond to an alarm activation, SimpliSafe has most of that researched and will automatically mail that form to you as well. The monitoring service can also have specific information added to your account to pass onto the 911 dispatcher as well.....for us, we let them know that we have ANSI grade 1 high security locks and security glass. In the event that rescue has to make a forced entry, then they will be able to save time and attack the door properly from the start instead of wasting time figuring out that our house is hardened.

So, thumbs down for not making it clear in the instructions on how to hook up to Fios, which has over 5 million customers and predates SimpliSafe. Thumbs up for customer service.

I eagerly await the arrival of their outdoor camera and doorbell setup which is due to be released late 2018.
    Great info thanks!

Site Supporter

Share your thoughts, concerns, successes, and aggravations with home security systems here.
    How has your simplisafe system worked a year later?

I just picked up a simple entry sensor system from Simplisafe. A couple hiccups getting it setup, but the customer service was good and they next-day aired a different part to ensure proper cell phone reception. Easy to swap out. They've been good with the customer service so far.

I went with the higher level monitoring service, which I can control with my phone. It seems to work. I got a free camera with the father's day sale, I have not set it up yet.

I'll probably add some more sensors (smoke, water) to get additional discounts from my homeowner's insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    How has your simplisafe system worked a year later?

I just picked up a simple entry sensor system from Simplisafe. A couple hiccups getting it setup, but the customer service was good and they next-day aired a different part to ensure proper cell phone reception. Easy to swap out. They've been good with the customer service so far.

I went with the higher level monitoring service, which I can control with my phone. It seems to work. I got a free camera with the father's day sale, I have not set it up yet.

I'll probably add some more sensors (smoke, water) to get additional discounts from my homeowner's insurance.
    I junked the whole thing.

The sensors were very unreliable and were going off for no reason while we were on an overseas trip. Even one of the panic buttons was setting itself off.

Fucking garbage.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I junked the whole thing.

The sensors were very unreliable and were going off for no reason while we were on an overseas trip. Even one of the panic buttons was setting itself off.

Fucking garbage.
    Thanks, good to know -- I've got 60 days, so we'll see.

For A Follow Up: Did you go with something else after you junked it?

Has any Ring users had similar issues or is there a better User Installed system out there?

Site Supporter
    Zero problems over a year or so with the basic Simplisafe system. Super simple to set up. It does what you want it to and is just as transparent as the ADT on my last house. Wife likes the aesthetics.

We have the Ring spotlight camera over the garage.

Pros: Good night vision capability. Bright spotlight when motion sensor goes off.

Cons: Lag time for activation and connectivity issues when it comes to viewing on your phone.

The cons are the reason I haven't bought the recording subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Zero problems over a year or so with the basic Simplisafe system. Super simple to set up. It does what you want it to and is just as transparent as the ADT on my last house. Wife likes the aesthetics.
    We have a SimpliSafe base station, video camera, glass break detector, 2 motion detectors, and a bunch of entry sensors. And two fobs.

Only problem has been occasional issues with the video camera not wanting to connect to wifi.

I think at some point we will move to Nest, to self monitor and cut costs. The Nest app seems to work, unless you have a Samsung phone (one of the most popular Android manufacturers).

Which leads to the biggest usage issue, that most of the apps for this stuff are atrocious.

User Tag List