Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Security Monitoring and Alarm Systems

Home Security Monitoring and Alarm Systems

So, previously in our last house we had Vivent. We liked it.

With our new house, we purchased a user-installed system; SimpliSafe. I liked the idea that I could easily take it down and put it up myself. Regardless of owning our house, I get a new job assignment every 2-3 years. So if we both go wherever my new assignment is, we can easily take the SimpliSafe with us. What's also neat is that the base station simply looks cool, instead of standing out as ugly. So, points for both functionality and aesthetics. The system also has really good reviews in several online publications.

I also liked the aspect of being able to build out a system with exactly how many sensors I want, and at lower cost than some other systems. So we have a combination of panic buttons, motion sensors, cameras, a water sensor, entry sensors, and fire alarms linked to the base station. They also have freeze sensors, glass break sensors, some other gizmos (I think) as well as stating that their doorbell/outdoor camera is due to be released later in 2018. Sweet. I'm in.

Installation was a breeze. I got the cameras hooked up to my wifi, and they worked great (notice that past tense? foreshadowing). Know what didn't work great? Getting the base station to connect via wifi. It simply wouldn't. I called SS on Sunday, and the tech sounded fairly clueless and evidently reading a script without any understanding. She says it won't connect to wifi because the system is waiting to be activated, which should take 30 minutes. Monday comes around and it still doesn't work. I get someone with much more knowledge and an apparent urgency to fix my problem. Turns out the system won't connect to a Verizon Fios wifi unless we use the original router name. Weird. Okay. So I change the router name. Woohoo! The base station works.

So I go in and try to view video, and oh...fuck...the cameras have to be reconnected because it's a new network. Ok.....so I retrieve a new QR code for the first camera.....but wait, why isn't it scanning? Oh, that's right, the fucking privacy shutters are shut, and I can't connect to the camera to open the privacy shutters......so it won't scan a QR code to connect to the network! So I try switching the network name back to "our" designated name we had given it at installation, with the hopes of the camera automatically picking it up and me being able to lock the shutters in the open position. No avail; the cameras won't automatically connect to the "old" network they were previously working on. I unplugged a camera to see if it reverts to some default mode with the shutters open, and no dice.

So now the base station works, and the cameras don't. Just emailed the guy I've been working with and hopefully he'll have a solution. He's been great with me. Yesterday he gave me 2 months free service in compensation for the headache, but at this point I'm at my wits end with this system.

Share your thoughts, concerns, successes, and aggravations with home security systems here.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have no personal experience in this arena...but during the research I did actually perform, I read quite a few complaints online which are very similar to yours.

I decided to pass on SS and have not yet decided on a specific solution for our home.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’m about there on one of those Ring systems, just haven’t gotten round to it yet.

We have decent Internet, an ok MU MIMO router and an existing doorbell I can replace (I think).

https://goabode.com/sale/

I am 99% happy. It can be as cheap as $0 a month for self monitor. I bought a bundle that came with cellular backup, which is $96 a year. Then you can add monitoring year round or you can buy it in 3 day or 1 week "on-demand" periods.

I do not have any Alexa or Google Home speaker spy things, but they work with Abode if you want to get crazy.

Cons:
    - It is not compatible with all Z-Wave or Zigbee devices. With their sales the Abode sensors are well priced
    - The Nest door bell camera cannot be viewed in real time on the Abode app, at least for now. But you can control a Nest Thermostat from the Abode app.
    - Android App has a widget that is flaky

Pros:
    - Can be free from monthly bills and contracts
    - Battery backup in the base unit + cellular means I can lose power for about 10 hours and still be covered.
    - Integrates with some other smart home platforms. When an alarm is triggered, my Nest Hello door bell takes a photo. You can get fancy with a free thing called IFTTT (If This Then That) and have the IFTTT app activate functions like wifi lights, call your cellphone, etc
    - Easy install, wireless sensors
    - Once they integrate more and more sensors you will have more options

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

EDIT: Based on reviews, you probably want to stay away from the Abode live cameras. My plan was to start with the Nest doorbell and then possibly get another camera. My Abode comes with a camera that takes photos only if the motion sensor is set off.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 07-17-2018 at 07:50 PM.

The Abode was actually another I was looking at, but the SS3 was lower cost off the bat and also included cellular backup standard/free. It has many of the same benefits (battery backup, no contracts, scale monitoring from zero-to-full, etc).

We purposely exclude Alexa from our household for security reasons (they're leaky as a sieve from a security standpoint), and purposely don't want our security system integrated with a full "smart home" feature like some of the systems go for. Layering security is no good without compartmentalization, IMO. For all these reasons, Abode was right up there with SS3 for us.

We'll probably buy Abode if SimpliSafe doesn't come through for us, especially since they have these sales that brings their components/sensors down to the price of SimpliSafe.

Tagged for interest.

This is something I need to learn more about.

If my knowledge base on guns was were my knowledge base on alarms was, I would be asking where you insert the clip in a revolver to load it.

I am interested in some type of camera system for my house as well as an alarm, but have the following questions:

1. If the Camera is hooked up to your Wi-Fi, is this something that is hackable so that someone can hack your wi-fi and view into your house.

2. Where is the video footage recorded?

3. If it is recorded in a DVR, how do you know that a burglar might not find and destroy the DVR?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    1. If the Camera is hooked up to your Wi-Fi, is this something that is hackable so that someone can hack your wi-fi and view into your house.
    SS used to have a vulnerability that has since been minimized according to the company and fan forums. Yes, it can still be hacked but the general consensus is that the type of people who will have the motivation/means to hack it arent going to be common burglary crews (at this current time, I'm sure more vulnerabilities will be found as time goes on).

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    2. Where is the video footage recorded?
    "The cloud". It's not stored locally, so no worries on question #3. Some of the companies are viewing only, but both Abode and SimpliSafe take camera shots during events and have various storage options for the footage allowing you to download and share it with police or whoever you might (private I, neighbors, security for your gated neighborhood, etc). In addition, at least with SimpliSafe the dispatch will still be notified if they find and smash the keypad according to company literature.

I went with Ring. I have two battery cameras, one on solar, and one floodlight camera hard wired to power. All are on Wi-Fi.

The floodlight camera doesn’t allow a usable positioning of the camera when the mounting plate is horizontal, such as under an eave.

The battery cameras, regardless of whether they are on the solar or not, have a very limited record time and a long reset time, to the point that they pretty much miss every single thing that matters. For example, they get the UPS guy pulling up to the gate, but not him throwing the package over into a puddle.

The tunable areas of activation are also extremely limited on the battery cameras. Couple that with the short record time and long reset time and you get a branch that trips the camera but then miss an actual useful action 2 minutes later.

I don’t have anything recording inside the house. I just can’t bring myself to allow that for a variety of reasons. I believe that with smart home tech I can program it to not record when either my wife or I are home, based on presence of cell phone on the network, but then have it record at night... ultimately I don’t have the patience or inclination.
    Last edited by rob_s; 07-18-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don’t have anything recording inside the house. I just can’t bring myself to allow that for a variety of reasons. I believe that with smart home tech I can program it to not record when either my wife or I are home, based on presence of cell phone on the network, but then have it record at night... ultimately I don’t have the patience or inclination.
    I don't know about Abode, but with SimpliSafe the default is for the privacy shutter to be closed when the system is Off or in Home mode....it only stays open when in Away mode. These defaults can be changed in the app. However, if the shutter is closed, it will automatically open for veiwing even in home/off if you go into the app and click the camera to view. So, in the end if anyone has a concern about privacy then the whole shutter thing might be for nothing, because I imagine whoever hacks into the feed will also give themselves the ability to open the shutter.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-18-2018 at 06:03 AM.

User Tag List