Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REPORT - Trying out the Cool Fire Trainer for the Glock 34 for Dry Practice

REPORT - Trying out the Cool Fire Trainer for the Glock 34 for Dry Practice

Though this is definitely a very innovative idea to dry practice, it is still in its early stages, and there are obviously a few glitches/problems to address. However, for a $400 tool, I prefer NOT to be a guniea pig in its testing. As such, am sharing what I have posted in another forum (that is more local to my location).

----------------

UPDATE:

So, took the opportunity to head out to the yard and try out the Cool Fire Trainer (I'll call it CFT going forward) for some drills.

To start, I would have to say that last night's "test" was ARTIFICIAL, and may have been premature. I knew I was looking for recoil / muzzle flip. And obviously, there wasn't much! But then... Taking the trainer out for some drills did I see a few benefits:

• It forces you the correct mechanics of a high-speed draw. This would be relaxed when taking out the pistol, and once you're about to fire, "tense" the grip. Obviously, we all know what a poor grip can do to our shots.
    • Even if there is minimal recoil to the CFT, if the grip is not precise, the sights won't come back to its original position. This is NOT good for follow-up shots. And most apparent with target transitions!
    • Even if there is not much of a muzzle flip, there is SIGHT movement!! In the midst of follow-up shots, target transitions, etc. If one is NOT focused on the front sight, you will MOMENTARILY lose sight of it... Although it is NOT like live fire, it is better than nothing (especially where I live - very strict range rules).
    • The sight picture of the A-zone at 10-yards is quite thinner than a G34's rear sight post. If one is NOT careful with the grip, etc. the CFT can impact sufficient movement that you won't be hitting the A-zone. At the least, it keep the routine HONEST.
    • The resetting trigger, the sound, and the recoil adds sort of a realism to an otherwise BORING dry practice routine.

I did THREE (3) drills this morning:

1. Draw to Pairs - Target at 10-yards. Par at 1.2-secs.
    2. Draw - Shot - Reload - Shot - Target at 10-yards. Par at 2.5-secs.
    3. "Custom" El Presidente. 3 targets (IDPA, USPSA Classic and USPSA Metric) at 10-yards side-by-side. Draw and place one round L to R, R to L, C-L-R, C-R, L, etc. Par at 1.9-secs.

Hhhhmmm... Whether I could get by with a blowback airsoft, etc. remains to be seen. At least for now, I can practice with my own pistol (both my match G34, and HD G34).

Cheers!!

--- Original Post ---
    I think that it is common knowledge that to get better, constant, consistent and correct practice is required. However, none of us have unlimited time and money to go to the range and burn through thousands of rounds. Hence, came the idea of dry fire or dry practice (for the more semantically-inclined folks out there).

Well, in reviewing my performance over the past couple of years with firearms, I feel that the next thing for me to improve on is the tracking the front sight in rapid shots/follow-ups - fundamentally, calling the shots.

Mark Burkett shows a good "calling the shots" drill in one of his ol' DVDs (which I got for $5 in a clearance bin). Unfortunately, again, this requires burning through live rounds, as dry fire doesn't simulate recoil. So, what to do?

And lo! A product comes to the market: CoolFireTrainer...
    https://coolfiretrainer.com/

And since I am very serious in improving my skills, I got one for about $399.95 (inclusive of 10% off discount and shipping).

Trying it out yesterday ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RchMxevHuq4

PS: BTW, took out the laser insert. I wouldn't want to introduce the bad habit of focusing on the target instead of the front sight.

Was like "MEH..."

With the correct grip - recoil becomes so minimal that there wasn't enough muzzle flip for practice my eyes in sight tracking. *ugh* :facepalm:

Might as well revert to my GSG 1911 in .22LR...

I have reached out to the private forums/groups of one top national competitor that endorses this product - to ask for a suggested training plan.

But until I get a reply, I feel that $440 just went down the drain (yeah, the additional $40 was for buying a pre-filled CO2 tank)... More like a new gimmick, a new fad in firearms training! :facepalm:

Cheers...

_

UPDATE 2 on my use of the Cool Fire Trainer...

• The 24-oz tank did NOT even LAST throughout 2-weeks' of DRY PRACTICE sessions. *ugh* And, I only used the Cool Fire Trainer only during specific days and at just 10-mins/session. This would have been only 3~4 times, out of the 10-times I dry practiced in that period.
    • This would mean that for me to actually use it every dry practice session, I will need to buy extra tanks at $39 each (and an additional $6 for a refill).
    • There is a snap cap built into the Cool Fire Trainer - it's way battered already!!! I am now concerned about the durability of the device.

Hahaha!!! I guess I'm trying to rationalize to myself that this may worth it since I really don't have access to a range I can practice specific drills. Hhhmmm... (It's about 40~50-min round-trip for me to get the Tipmann tanks refilled).

_

UPDATE 3 on my use of the Cool Fire Trainer...

Just a little over 2-weeks, and now having my first ISSUES/PROBLEMS with the Cool Fire Trainer. *ugh*

... Would appreciate a little more than a lackadaisical reply such as ending with "to try until I find a solution."

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM, ****** <******@coolfiretrainer.com> wrote:

******, thank you for the report. the CO2 is settling in the front of the barrel while holstered or the drawing action is having a pulling effect on the striker rendering it slightly out of reach of the firing pin. Some models have reported the same. I have yet to be able to reproduce the issue when I attempt it. I'll continue to try until I find a solution.

Thank You,
    Senior Technician
    CoolFire Trainer
    www.CoolFireTrainer.com
    P: (+1) 918-973-2665
    Timezone: GMT-7/CST
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

----------------------------
    Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2018 8:05 PM
    To: Info@coolfiretrainer.com
    Subject: Re: coolfiretrainer Order Confirmation

Hi Cool Fire Trainer -

I am already in my third week of using the Cool Fire Trainer.

However, this afternoon it has been acting up during dry practice and I couldn't seem to figure out why.

It's a Draw to Shot, then Reload, then another Shot drill. However, the Cool Fire Trainer does NOT "fire" in the first shot, and very little after the reload.

Thinking that it is out of juice, I refreshed it from the tank - but still the same! However, when I keep it STEADY, it "fires" like new. The only pattern I see is if there is a "fast" (violent?) movement before the shot like a Draw or a Reload, the Cool Fire Trainer does NOT fire consistently anymore.

Please advise?

Thanks,

_

Thanks for doing the dirty work on this new gadget ;p As I've had little time to get to the range or even PF lately, this is an attractive 'idea', but I hope they fix the bugs you've pointed out. Certainly an improved version of this would be very appealing to me given my current predicament.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Thanks for doing the dirty work on this new gadget ;p As I've had little time to get to the range or even PF lately, this is an attractive 'idea', but I hope they fix the bugs you've pointed out. Certainly an improved version of this would be very appealing to me given my current predicament.
    My pleasure!
    Yes, that was the intent - to share my experience to others that they make a more informed purchase decision.
    Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So CO2 does cool and "pool" so to speak, particularly when you're filling a storage device. My guess is, you're probably not quite getting the device as full as you think you are. Much like filling a butane lighter - fill the device until it is cold in the hand (frost can and often will form on the outside). Then warm the device and once warm, "top off". This will minimize expansion inside the cylinder and keep it full.

Best way to fill CO2 tanks and devices is by weight. I ASSume since the CoolFire can use standard 90-gram CO2 cylinders, that the approximate volume of the barrel is 90-grams. Using a postal scale - weigh it out empty (depress the actuator and purge the device) and then fill it full adding 90-grams of gas. It might behoove you to get some of the standard CO2 cartridges so you know you're getting an accurate count at first.

Once that is done, try it again and see if your troubles go away.

I'm not sure what the instructions for CoolFire tell you to do, but always purge before filling or you'll get gas expansion (vapor, really) and you'll never get the device close to full.

Where I live , factory ammo retail price is at $0.15 per round. Budgeting $100 for $25 range fees x four 30 minute range sessions and $340 for ammo , I could fund over 550 rounds per range visit of live fire.“Coolfire” is an apt name, as it’s an excellent way to light your money on fire.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 07-17-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Where I live , factory ammo retail price is at $0.15 per round. Budgeting $100 for $25 range fees x four 30 minute range sessions and $340 for ammo , I could fund over 550 rounds per range visit of live fire.“Coolfire” is an apt name, as it’s an excellent way to light your money on fire.
    I would believe the OP bought this to enhance his dry fire, not supplant his live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I would believe the OP bought this to enhance his dry fire, not supplant his live fire.
    Well let’s not put words in his mouth- let the OP describe his reasons here. Perhaps ammo may cost more where he is.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Once that is done, try it again and see if your troubles go away.

I'm not sure what the instructions for CoolFire tell you to do, but always purge before filling or you'll get gas expansion (vapor, really) and you'll never get the device close to full.
    Makes sense. Let me try it out. Thanks!

Cool Fire Trainer user manual says to plug the barrel to the CO2 tank for 2-seconds.

Good for you!

I live in Kaliforniastan. We can only buy ammunition from the internet if it goes through an FFL, which, of course, drives up the prices.

From July of next year, we will also require background checks to even purchase them...

Well let’s not put words in his mouth- let the OP describe his reasons here. Perhaps ammo may cost more where he is.
    As implied in my initial posts, I got the Cool Fire Trainer to add a new evoution to my dry fire.

It's not only the cost of ammo - I don't have access to a full-service shooting range like those in the free states. Pairs/rapid fires are not allowed, drawing from the holster is not allowed, multiple targets are not allowed, etc.

User Tag List