Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the point of bare gel testing?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Never had to fight a naked dude ? I have.

Plus it gives a baseline of performance like everyone else said.
    My first Police Intervention/Death in Custody was a naked man. Fighting naked guys are almost always ugly. They're naked for a reason (absolutely nothing to do with sex).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Testing against bare gelatin, on the face of it, seems to be applicable to shooting felons in swimsuits (or less).
    I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but it got me to thinking how many people shot I've seen who were shirtless. Given how many urban yoots remove their shirt to fight, junkies stripping off their clothes due to internal overheating, etc. it's actually a reasonably routine occurrence.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Good answers. Bare gel is a control and baseline. If a round fails or is inconsistent in bare gel, it is likely going to be a poor choice. The tests which offer the most information are typically 4 layer denim (much better than heavy clothing) and automobile windshield. Those are key to demonstrating the terminal performance potential of a given load.
    And that's exactly the two events I consider as telling whether a load is viable or not.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but it got me to thinking how many people shot I've seen who were shirtless. Given how many urban yoots remove their shirt to fight, junkies stripping off their clothes due to internal overheating, etc. it's actually a reasonably routine occurrence.
    Yes but how many junkies and yoots are comprised of nothing but bare gelatin?

Again, the point of the gelatin is not to be 100% analogous to a living thing, it is meant to be a consistent method of measuring penetration.

You cannot model a living body replete with different tissues, bone, and everything else, and expect to have repeatable, comparable results.

These are two different things you are trying to do, and you need a different medium for each purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I would guess that a felon wearing a thin cotton shit or well worn T-shirt (which comprises a high percentage of cases in tropical countries) is closer to bare gel than 4 layer denim...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I would guess that a felon wearing a thin cotton shit or well worn T-shirt (which comprises a high percentage of cases in tropical countries) is closer to bare gel than 4 layer denim...
    Yes. In my test, one layer of cotton T-shirt had no effect on the bullets performance compared to bare gel.
    Last edited by 5pins; 07-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Yes but how many junkies and yoots are comprised of nothing but bare gelatin?
    From the neck up, quite a few.

Oh, wait, you mean from a ballistic testing standpoint. Never mind.

User Tag List