Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of bare gel testing?

What is the point of bare gel testing?

Testing against bare gelatin, on the face of it, seems to be applicable to shooting felons in swimsuits (or less).

I am guessing (!) the real world point of it is related to there being no significant difference between bare gel and a light layer of cloth during tests.
    Is that the point of it?

I'm thinking it establishes a base line under the most ideal and perfect conditions...

It gives you a baseline. Every ballistic workshop I've attended started with a bare gel test, but went on to include various other barrier tests. From light clothing, heavy clothing, sheet rock, car windshield.

When comparing different rounds, you need to look at all of the data. You should also decide what environment you will be working in. For example, performance through safety glass isn't that big of a deal for a gun who's purpose is defense within the home (Home Defense), but it's definitely a consideration for a State Police Agency who's Troopers spend most of their workday conducting traffic stops on the freeway.

Conducting an appropriate ballistic workshop takes time and effort as well as money. The gel blocks aren't cheap and you go through several of them testing various rounds. This is why guys like Dr. Gary Roberts who are willing to post their results is so helpful to those trying to make an informed decision and lack the resources to conduct their own testing.

The point of bare gel is to have comparable results between rounds. It is not to simulate the round's behavior on a clothed target.

If you start adding in more factors than the gel itself your results become less comparable for each factor you add. These are two entirely different tests with different goals.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Testing against bare gelatin, on the face of it, seems to be applicable to shooting felons in swimsuits (or less).

I am guessing (!) the real world point of it is related to there being no significant difference between bare gel and a light layer of cloth during tests.
    Is that the point of it?
    Never had to fight a naked dude ? I have.

Plus it gives a baseline of performance like everyone else said.

Every experiment needs a control to establish the baseline.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Never had to fight a naked dude ? I have.
    I usually have to pay extra for that!

Good answers. Bare gel is a control and baseline. If a round fails or is inconsistent in bare gel, it is likely going to be a poor choice. The tests which offer the most information are typically 4 layer denim (much better than heavy clothing) and automobile windshield. Those are key to demonstrating the terminal performance potential of a given load.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

A bullet in gel is reproducible. That's why. It fails to capture so many intangibles. But it IS infinitely reproducible with good scientific method being adhered to.

Baseline and a control make excellent sense, thanks.

Of course HCM's response and a few clips of shirtless idiots is an excellent response also...

User Tag List