Thread: Any Safariland ALS experts around?

Any Safariland ALS experts around?

I’ve been using 6006 ALS guards on my 637x series holsters for a number of years. I recently tried to convert my holsters from 567BL belt loops to the more compact 565BL, I prefer how the 565BL works with my reinforced instructor’s belt. But, the 6006 doesn’t fit this smaller belt loop as well.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way of setting up this combination? I really don’t want to stop using the 6006s, but the 565BL works much better than the usual 567BL.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been using 6006 ALS guards on my 637x series holsters for a number of years. I recently tried to convert my holsters from 567BL belt loops to the more compact 565BL, I prefer how the 565BL works with my reinforced instructor’s belt. But, the 6006 doesn’t fit this smaller belt loop as well.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way of setting up this combination? I really don’t want to stop using the 6006s, but the 565BL works much better than the usual 567BL.
    Got pics? How does it not “fit”? I bought a Safariland kit a few years ago that had all sorts of spacers. They’ve helped a couple times.

EDIT:

Here ya go:https://www.amazon.com/Safarilands-H.../dp/B0048KG098
    Last edited by Lon; 07-15-2018 at 01:19 AM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Interesting - thanks! I’ve never used a Safariland drop shank, so I’ve never seen this kit.

The 6006 pushes the belt loop out as expected, but then the loop has a more pronounced butt-out cant than I am used to. I think this might need to be approached two ways - by looking to see if there are areas that can be thinned down or removed where the loop and 6006 interfere with each other, and then by adding a nylon washer as a spacer on the lower mounting post to match the thickness of the 6006.

I ordered one of those belt loops it’ll be here Tuesday. I’ll put my 637x/6006 on there and see what I need to do to make it work then post pics. Been looking for a different loop option anyway.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Cool - I’m sure it’s just a matter of tinkertoying them together. I was spoiled by how clean the 6006 install was with the 567BL loops.

Aha! I just pulled one of my holsters apart to diagnose the issue.

The 6006 fits properly to the back of the 637x as expected, and there is no interference between the 6006 and the 565BL. But, I didn’t notice before the way the 565BL is molded it will provide a muzzle-in grip-out angle unless you shim the lower mounting screw it’s slightly wedge shaped. This will be an easy fix.

Here is what it looks like with the 6006 in place and the upper mounting screws tightened down but no lower screw, the angle is correct. Adding a shim washer the thickness of the 6006 where the gap is will resolve the angle:

Name:  4EF436C7-E411-49C8-9D7E-288E805C920D.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  20.8 KB

The old 567BL seems to have been less rigid and more forgiving than this 565BL.

There are plenty of washers in the kit I linked. And then some.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

I took the easy way out - a quick stop at the hardware store earlier today for some black nylon washers. Two of these 0.062 washers were all it took to tweak each holster, much better now. Thank you for the advice!

User Tag List