Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: That incident at the George Webb restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    At one time I favored "skill" tests for CHLs, but then one of you guys (sadly, I've forgotten who) wrote something that changed my perspective. His observation was that Constitutional Carry states have no skill tests at all, yet their firearm accident rates are not statistically greater than those states with strict "skill" requirements for licensing.
    I am less concerned about accident s and more Bout the actual self defense laws and scenarios, so people understand you can't shoot someone for looking at you funny. Of course I am in Texas. Our laws and practice are pretty loose.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    B) 95% of them will NEVER carry a gun on a regular basis.
    And 95% of the 5% are probably people that work graveyard at restaurants frequented by angry drug dealers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am less concerned about accident s and more Bout the actual self defense laws and scenarios, so people understand you can't shoot someone for looking at you funny.
    The thing is, the people with that attitude will still have that attitude when they come out of a class no matter how many hours and no matter how good the instructor is.
    That attitude isn't learned, it's who they are and part of their psyche.
    In fact, most of the people with that attitude will double down when shown the errors in their thinking.
    It's a phenomenon that anyone who's instructed has seen a million times.
    You can't fix stupid.
    Last edited by JodyH; 07-14-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

As a CCW instructor for around 15 years and hundreds of students i'll say this, the classes don't make a bit of difference IMO.
    The 5% who are dipshits are still dipshits even after 16 hours of coursework.
    The 1% of folks who are switched on and serious don't get anything out of a stupidly basic course like a CCW class.
    The 94% who are just good folks in the middle, they usually have the basics down and the class is just a formality.

After you have a few hundred students come through class you realize that:
    A) Most people who want a CCW are good people with good intentions and common sense and they'll do just fine without a class.
    B) 95% of them will NEVER carry a gun on a regular basis.
    C) You can't fix stupid with any amount of training.
    This.

Too many uninformed folks, namely anti-gunners wanting mandatory training requirements, believe a basic course is more comprehensive than it is. They firmly believe the course can take Dipwad Donnie and turn him into a SWAT-like gunpacker.

They liken it to the licensing/testing requirements of getting a driver’s license. Yet they seem to conveniently forget that despite the road-testing and licensing, vehicle operators do some stupid and irresponsible stuff: Driving while intoxicated, driving distracted, generally driving like a moron, etc.

Some folks take the responsibility seriously, most just view it as a formality (read inconvenience)
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The thing is, the people with that attitude will still have that attitude when they come out of a class no matter how many hours and no matter how good the instructor is.
    That attitude isn't learned, it's who they are and part of their psyche.
    In fact, most of the people with that attitude will double down when shown the errors in their thinking.
    It's a phenomenon that anyone who's instructed has seen a million times.
    You can't fix stupid.
    Unfortunately you are correct.

Site Supporter
    I think this woman, who has probably not benefited from any formal training, seemed as willing to shoot as the thug seemed willing to hit her colleague (sure doesn't look like somebody who never hit a women before...).
    My experience is that most thugs are punks. Hit a defenseless woman? Hell, yeah. Try it on a woman with a pistol and the determination to use it? Hell, no!

Two observations from living the last few decades in Washington state.

1)Washington passed shall issue CCW in 1962 or so, so there is 55ish years of experience by now. There is no training requirement at all. If you aren't a prohibited person and have $50 (or whatever the fee is) and fingerprints you get the permit. And I'm aware of almost no[1] problems from permit holders. I would expect, especially in the last few years, that the media would widely report any malfeasance.

2)On one hand, I like constitutional carry - especially if a natural disaster happens or something and you suddenly need but can't get a permit. OTOH, I have heard people over the years, when contemplating something ill advised (like violating the rule 'if you think you need a gun to go there, try not to go there') say something like 'well, I wouldn't want to lose my permit'. But of course, in WA, 'losing your permit' is kind of irrelevant; anything that causes you to lose the permit also makes you a prohibited person. But the possibility does seem to perhaps help some people make good choices.

[1]One exception that I do recall - college frat president gets permit the day he turns 21, engages in drunken driveby of rival frat a couple of days later. I'm not sure a class would have helped there.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    "I cringe when I consider how low the bar is for getting a CHL in most states". I am against setting any "skill" bar for getting a CHL, CCW, etc. - I am confident that the "skill" bar could be set very quickly to deny 99% of the population access to a firearm by those that wish to deny 2A.
    Move south one state. As far as skill goes, Florida's bar is rock bottom. My wife fired two rounds of something (caliber unknown) from an instructor provided revolver. Some instructors include a little more live fire, like 10-12 rounds, but the course is mainly lecture.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Move south one state. As far as skill goes, Florida's bar is rock bottom. My wife fired two rounds of something (caliber unknown) from an instructor provided revolver. Some instructors include a little more live fire, like 10-12 rounds, but the course is mainly lecture.
    I fired one round from an M&P .22 into a bullet trap for mine. If I ever become a local CCW instructor, I will strive to be that 1% that can actually teach relevant topics.

I've come to believe that passing of a "special skills test" must not be required before one may exercise his right to own (and carry) firearms.

OTOH, I've always thought that it would be a good thing if additional firearms training or certification were somehow incentivized or rewarded.

Not that I know what form such incentives might take...or that any such thing would ever actually happen.
    (After all, who would administer such a program?)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List