Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugh, the 19 is down

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    So... I was at the range. Started with some .38 special. Shot some really good 25 yard groups. When I started with .357 a cylinder or 2 went through with no hitch. Then it started to get hard to cock. Then impossible. I checked the ejector rod, it was tight. If the cylinder is open and the trigger/hammer cycle fine. Everything I could think of was checked, wiped, lubed. Opening and closing the cylinder is very, very hard but if it's indexed a certain way goes in easier.

I took the side plate off, sprayed it with gun scrubber to get the grease off and check for loose parts. Nothing looks out of whack.

So, diagnose my broke gun.
    If you remove the bolt, how easily does the cylinder spin in the frame? I had a revolver that would bind up when it got warm from shooting or slightly dirty. Once it cooled off and was clean, it functioned fine. FWIW, it had a very tight BC gap, but there was still a measurable gap (way under spec though). If the problem is in the cylinder assembly itself, removing the bolt and spinning the cylinder should still show your problem. If it still spins freely, then I'd inspect the bolt itself or the hand (the hand pushes on the star to rotate the cylinder).

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The action works smoothly with no cylinder. It's seems like it might be part #9 above. That might explain why it closes on one cylinder but not on the rest. Maybe it got bent or peened.
    I'm inclined to agree, but at a loss to how it would fail in normal use. It could be the hand that was damaged though.

Chris

The hands are really hard. The ratchet on the rear of the extractor star isnt as hard as the hand. If the extractor rod isnt bent, there may be a burr on the rear of the star, or one finger of it may have been bent somehow, but hard to figure how under normal use.

I had some nearly invisible powder flakes under the ejector star one time. Took some serious brushing.

I used to get them now and then. When I started turning the muzzle straight up and giving the extractor rod a sharp slap to clear the empties, i dont recall it happening, unless with the 22 after a brick or two of rounds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    or one finger of it may have been bent somehow, but hard to figure how under normal use.
    Rapid double-action shooting? Though I seem to recall rapid DA being an issue for the large frame guns with their heavier cylinders, not the mid-frame guns.

Chris

I dont think fast DA shooting would bend an extractor star finger, more like getting a shell rim under the star and trying to clear it. Another reason to eject with the muzzle up and a sharp slap on the rod.

I don't know if it was covered, but did you check for excessive end shake? What you're describing is a classic byproduct of that.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've started the coffee and fiddling around. I've been taking the cylinder apart and trying to see what works and what doesn't.
    I think it might be the crane because everything works like this
    Attachment 28026

It also works like this. Although is very hard to swing it back out.
    Attachment 28027

Something's up with the cylinder and the yoke I think
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-14-2018 at 03:56 AM.

If it is the yoke and it needs to be replaced, Numrich has stock. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/300970

User Tag List