Thread: Week 277: Defoor Pistol Test 2

Week 277: Defoor Pistol Test 2

Results may be posted until August 13th, 2018.

Designed by: Kyle Defoor
    Range: 25 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric
    Start Position: Concealed and holstered for all strings
    Rounds Fired: 6

Start with your handgun loaded and holstered, and par time set for 4 seconds. At the start signal, draw and shoot 2 rounds to the lower A-zone. Repeat twice, for a total of six rounds/three total strings. Add up your points on target. A = 5 points, C = 3 points, D= 0 points. Defoor does not specify the value of the head (upper A/B zone) in the video below where he explains the test, but lets call the head 0 points since it is obviously not what you are supposed to shoot in this test. You need 25 total points to pass.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Total points
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Kyle Defoor shooting Defoor Pistol Test 2:

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Shot with G19, Ameriglo Sights, Keepers Concealment holster appendix, from concealment

String one= 2.99 seconds and two A zone hits

String two= 3.30 and two A zone hits

String three= 3.19 and two A zone hits

Points= 30 points for a pass

With a good, quick draw and solid trigger prep you have plenty of time to line up the sights and hard focus on the tip of the front sight for a good first shot. Work the trigger during recoil and press once they settle for the second shot. At 25 yards, sight alignment is MUCH more crucial than sight picture. On my first shot of the last string, I broke the shot at 1.59 with a very aggressive trigger prep. My sight picture was way low, but my sights were aligned nicely and the bottom shot was the result. With a horrid sight picture, my shot was still in. Line those sights up and get going!

Name:  IMG_3952.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by Reid Henrichs; 07-13-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

Ran this twice today and passed both times. I guess all that dry practice is paying off. I had a B8 posted over the A zone but with the bottom exposed I knew the boundaries to score this. If you score it using the B8 (8 ring and in) the score remains the same.

G19-5 concealed AIWB under a closed front button up shirt

First run:
    2A 3.18s
    2A timer malfunction
    1A1C 3.79s

Total points 28

Ignore the hole marked with sharpie. That was from a prior drill

Second run:
    2A 3.81s
    1A1C 3.76s flubbed my draw here
    2A 2.91s

Total points 28

The grease ring at the edge of the 8 ring that looks a little fat is actually two rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 07-14-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I ran this once today immediately after my cold run of Defoor Pistol Test 1. My 25y performance on that drill sucked so I wanted to make up for it with this drill. Things did not go as I hoped.

G19-5 concealed under a closed front shirt in a DSG Orion
    1. 3.62s 1A 1M
    2. 4.31s 1A 1C (second shot cut the head/neck line)
    3. 3.72s 1A 1M (second shot landed in the head)

I completely missed my target with one of the shots on my first string which hasn’t happened in a while. Then I screwed up my draw on the second string and didn’t get my first shot off until 2.9s and went over time on my second shot.

I really like this test and run it pretty regularly in the form of the 25y string on the modified LAPD D Platoon qual and think that it tests a lot of important things for pistolcraft (draw, trigger control, self control, etc). I’ll keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

G3 G34, JMCK OWB #2, under jacket.

I didn't record times, but I was under par for each.

26/30 pass

4 As
    2 Cs

User Tag List