Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I am thinking of buying my first Glock...I have a few questions?

Another vote for GEN5. The GEN5 Glock 17/19 is available from the factory with Ameriglo BOLD sights installed. Probably one of the best 'out of the box' pistol combinations you can order. Search for PA1750303AB and PA1950303AB respectively.

I'll add that if you're a lefty, GEN5 is the significantly better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I tried the new Glock 19 at the local range and the cutout in the front of the magazine well made the gun uncomfortable for me to shoot. With all of the Polymer wizards out there who work on Glocks, it there anyway that someone can do add some material to the front to make it like a normal magazine well? And if so, who does this?
    The 19X doesn't have the cut out (or magwell) but has the rest of the GEN5 goodness, so that's an option if you're willing to go with a 17 length grip. There are also the Pearce floorplates (PG-FML).

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    no 40 caliber versions of Gen 5s are likely to be forthcoming, I would guess)

If I have the option I will always pick a Gen 5 moving forward.
    I would not make that bet. There are gen 5 .40s in the wild.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-22-sao-paulo/

Also, there was a glock 23 mhs submission that used the one pin design.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Another vote for GEN5. The GEN5 Glock 17/19 is available from the factory with Ameriglo BOLD sights installed. Probably one of the best 'out of the box' pistol combinations you can order. Search for PA1750303AB and PA1950303AB respectively.
    As above, purchase your preferred size Gen 5 with the factory tritium sights - then add a Gadget and leave the rest of the pistol alone, and shop JM Kydex's site for a holster design that will work for you - plus if you email Tony at JM and describe your body and type of carry, he'll guide you to what will work best for you in his experience.

Buy Federal HST 147 regular (non +P) and prove that your pistol runs on it reliably - this is your self and home-defense ammo.

After doing all this, spend the next year(s) buying ammo and training classes. Done.
    Last edited by STI; 07-15-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Or consider getting a Gen 3 or Gen4...While I'm sure the Gen5/G19X do in fact offer some tangible benefits, I suspect they're not ALL that much better than decent examples of the earlier generations-I'm perfectly content with, and shoot passably decently with my Gen 3 G17, G19, and G21, and Gen 4 G22.

For most, I suspect that the biggest advantage for a Gen5 could be the lack of the fingergrooves on the frame-if, in fact, the Gen 3/Gen4 frames with fingergrooves are adverse for you.

While I'm impressed with Glock's evolution with the Gen5s, I don't feel that they obsolete any of my earlier Glocks.

Best, Jon
    Jon,

I don't like the Glock finger grooves. That is what I like about the Gen 5. All of my Glocks are Gen 2.

The 19X is nice, but I would rather a Glock 19 sized grip and magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post

After doing all this, spend the next year(s) buying ammo and training classes. Done.
    I am currently in this phase. Only took me from 2014 to get to this point lol.

The only thing I would add is that "for me", the 0.200" front sight height that seems to come with the G19 Gen 5s is off. I installed a 0.180" front on my G19.5 that got me much more centered on a B8 at 25. Guess it must be the way I hold the pistol; or perhaps being a lefty and all.

[QUOTE=JSGlock34;762867]
    The 19X doesn't have the cut out (or magwell) but has the rest of the GEN5 goodness, so that's an option if you're willing to go with a 17 length grip. There are also the Pearce floorplates (PG-FML).

Thanks for finding that. That looks like a great option for people like myself who do not like the front cutout.

The only issue is then those mags would not be compatible with previous generation Glocks.

If I were buying a Gen 5 Model 19 I would want to get someone who could add on to the cut out to make it like a regular Glock--no doubt an unusual request as custom mods go.
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-16-2018 at 06:50 PM.

If I were buying a Gen 5 Model 19 I would want to get someone who could add on to the cut out to make it like a regular Glock--no doubt an unusual request as custom mods go.
    I would think chopping a 19X to 19 grip length would be an easier and stronger modification than adding filler material to the cutout.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The Gen 5 is the best iteration of the Glock that I have shot, but there are two things that bug me about it. They aren’t minor either, at least not to someone who is using it for competition.

1) The Gen 5 10 round mags are super tight. You really have to wack them into the gun to get them to seat properly. I’ve had mags fall out of the gun at three of my last four matches before I found out that the 10 round Gen 4 mags have more give to the springs and don’t give me the same problem. I do like the base plates on the Gen 5 though.

2) Sights heights are different than other generations. Gen 3/4 sights aren’t suitable to use in the Gen 5 so I am having a bit of a problem getting sights that work for my POA. I’ll get it sorted, but it’s not a plug and play solution for me, like I hoped it would be.

Other things of less importance I would like to see addressed:
    - Grip texture over the full height of the side panels.
    - Forward cocking serrations.
    - Texture on the frame just forward of the take down tab, where my support hand thumb rests.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-16-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I would think chopping a 19X to 19 grip length would be an easier and stronger modification than adding filler material to the cutout.

I think you are right, Jody. If I decided to buy this gun I would pierce floorplates.

[QUOTE=Ed L;763142]
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

Thanks for finding that. That looks like a great option for people like myself who do not like the front cutout.

The only issue is then those mags would not be compatible with previous generation Glocks.

Jon,

I don't like the Glock finger grooves. That is what I like about the Gen 5. All of my Glocks are Gen 2.

The 19X is nice, but I would rather a Glock 19 sized grip and magazine.
    Ed,

Those floorplates fill in the cutout on the Gen2 19....my wife uses them for her Gen2 19.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List