Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am thinking of buying my first Glock...I have a few questions?

The Gen 5 incorporates some serious upgrades:

1. Takedown spring, slide catch spring, and trigger springs are less prone to breakage due to redesigned spring type and leverage on said springs.
    2. Ambidextrous slide catch (that actually works for lefties.)
    3. Finger grooves removed (lots of people hated them.)
    4. Widened magazine well opening.
    5. Cutout in the front of the magazine well to allow for ripping out a magazine.
    6. New magazines have bright orange follower and extended floorplates.
    7. Trigger pull feel is improved (slightly)
    8. Target barrel is more accurate than previous generations.
    9. Locking block pin deleted from design (no 40 caliber versions of Gen 5s are likely to be forthcoming, I would guess)

If I have the option I will always pick a Gen 5 moving forward.

Does the Gen 5 fix the ejection/extraction issues? https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....mm-issues-quot

I am sold on the Gen5's. I would shop around as the price difference, if any at all between a gen4 and a gen5 shouldn't be that much.

The factory trigger on the gen 5 is noticeably improved over the previous models. The accuracy of my gen5 19 is better than my gen4 19's as well.

As for ejection/extraction issues being fixed, I would have to say yes they are.

Note, consider joining GSSF (http://gssfonline.com) for its two year deal and you'd get a discount (Blue Label pricing) on a new Glock from select dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Note, consider joining GSSF (http://gssfonline.com) for its two year deal and you'd get a discount (Blue Label pricing) on a new Glock from select dealers.
    This. Plus you get 3 mags instead of 2. Gen 5 is definitely the way to go.
    Beware, it'll more than likely lead to you buying more Glocks.

I just picked up my first Gen 5 and am very pleased. On the full size guns (17 / 34) the finger grooves fit me well. On the 19, not so much. The G 5 solves that issue for me.

Vending Machine Operator
    I don't like the front half-moon cutout on the grip of the Gen5, so I prefer the Gen4. However, in just about every other sense the Gen5 is better, so if you hold one and that doesn't bug you, go for the Gen5.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I sold all my Gen 4 Glocks and purchased Gen 5 Glocks.
    Many LGS are selling the Gen 4 standard model small frame Glocks for $499 and the same Gen 5 models for $559.
    I have Gen 5 G26/G19/G19X/G17 and prefer the Gen 5 G19X over the Gen 5 G17. YMMV
    Last edited by JBP55; 07-13-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    The Gen 5 incorporates some serious upgrades:

1. Takedown spring, slide catch spring, and trigger springs are less prone to breakage due to redesigned spring type and leverage on said springs.
    2. Ambidextrous slide catch (that actually works for lefties.)
    3. Finger grooves removed (lots of people hated them.)
    4. Widened magazine well opening.
    5. Cutout in the front of the magazine well to allow for ripping out a magazine.
    6. New magazines have bright orange follower and extended floorplates.
    7. Trigger pull feel is improved (slightly)
    8. Target barrel is more accurate than previous generations.
    9. Locking block pin deleted from design (no 40 caliber versions of Gen 5s are likely to be forthcoming, I would guess)

If I have the option I will always pick a Gen 5 moving forward.
    I could only add they chamfered the front of the slide to aid reholstering. That’s a pretty good list.

Wow, surprisingly unanimous praise for the Gen 5’s. I like the Glock 26 the most out of all Glock models, so I just placed an order for a Gen 5 that will compliment my Gen 4’s that I love.

It will be interesting to see if I can out shoot my Gen 4’s; I believe that I have enough experience and trigger time (~18,000 rounds) behind the 26 to notice if there’s a real difference or not.

User Tag List