Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Jagemann JAG 43 Magazine (Glock 43)

Review: Jagemann JAG 43 Magazine (Glock 43)

At 2017 SHOT Jagemann Sporting Group (https://www.jagemannsportinggroup.com/) announced the release of an aftermarket magazine option for the Glock 43. Their launch reads in pertinent part:

Jagemann entered the Magazine market in 2015. Since that time, it has launched colored versions of its magazines and is launching the Jag 42 and Jag 43 at 2017 Shot Show. Other magazines are in development and will be announced during the year. Several factors set Jagemann’s magazines apart from others in the market. They include an innovative polymer design encompassing attention to every detail. The polymer magazines are produced with a material that has high glass content resulting strength and rigidity of the magazine. The spring pressure in all magazines is optimized allowing for consistent feeding and longevity. Each magazine features ergonomic baseplates resulting in easier reloading and handling of magazines.
    https://www.jagemannsportinggroup.co...017-shot-show/
    Jagemann had magazine samples at SHOT, and two were passed on to me to use in the running review of my G43. Other than being given to me, there are no other pertinent disclosures for the content herein.

The mag comes in a tightly fitting plastic zip-lock type pouch that can be reused.

The JAG and OEM magazines are similar in appearance and features. Magazine capacity is 6 rounds, it will work with the reversible OEM catch, branding and witness holes are molded. JAG (L), OEM (R)

Disassembly is identical to OEM magazines. There is an insert that locks the baseplate in place like the OEM, but there are no retention tabs or slots on the sides to overcome and the baseplate comes off easy. Both the JAG and OEM springs have 11 coils, but the JAG is smaller in wire diameter, longer in length, and harder to compress.

The JAG magazine body is unlined and polymer throughout.

The JAG follower (top) is a different design with a longer front leg than OEM (bottom), and the tab actuating the slide stop sits higher.

When loaded, feed angles and clearances of the JAG (front) are nearly identical to the OEM (rear). Two loads are shown, the long BHA 115 TAC XP and the shorter BHA 124 XTP.

JAG (L) and OEM (R) with the TAC XP.

TEST FIRING

I pulled four carry loads of known function in my G43, a fifth not previously fired in this gun, and four more practice loads I’ve used already. Two magazines is a small sample size, so I tried for a variety of bullet profiles, cartridge OALs, velocities, and recoil impulses. They were:

24rds BHA 115 TAC-XP
    40rds BHA 115 JHP-XTP +P
    24rds BHA 124 JHP-XTP
    24rds Federal 147 HST
    24rds Speer 147 GDHP G2

100rds BHA 115 FMJ
    24rds Federal 115 FMJ (Aluminum Case)
    24rds Federal 147 JHP (9MS)
    24rds Speer Lawman 147 TMJ

The loads for which 24rds were fired were 12rds through each magazine (two full loadings of six), mostly shooting Bill Drills. The balance were fired in a variety of other OH, SHO, and WHO exercises for a grand total of 308 rounds, or 154 rounds through each magazine. There were no malfunctions of any kind. Magazines dropped free when released and inserted easily in various states of loading. Both mags consistently activated the slide stop when empty. After multiple drops to the concrete there was no visible damage. With each reloading, the magazine springs were easier to compress and ultimately no harder to load than OEM. Post-firing disassembly:

The small sample size of two magazines and limited shooting thus far don't warrant a "GTG" decree for the line as a whole, but this early snapshot is promising. I’ll continue to use these two for practice, acquire a few more, and see how they behave when left loaded and deliberately abused a bit.

I would like to see these made available in a bright color such as red or orange, alternatively colored baseplates.

If other members see these magazines in the wild, please share your experiences here.

Last edited by ST911; 01-28-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I think the world will beat a path to their door for a 1911 length 10 rounder for the 43.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Nice write up and testing - glad to see they are good so far.

I agree, I really want an 8-10+ mag for my 43.

No pricing on their site. What will these and their other glock mags retail for? Very interesting more people getting in on the glock mag game.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Will extensions work on this mag, i.e Pearce etc.?

Thanks

I may have missed this but what is the retail cost of these?

Also, why?

Are there reliability issues with the G43 magazines that this product seeks to fix?

Replying to inquiries here and elsewhere, in no particular order.

I don’t have any information on MSRP, or even what vendors have them in stock or will carry them.

I don’t know anything about Jagemann’s other magazines for G17/19.

The JAG baseplate isn’t any thicker than OEM, the sidewalls are a little higher.

Why these mags? The product announcement for these discusses material difference and spring optimization. The front leg of the follower is also longer. I’ll leave it to the engineers to discuss the merits of those variables. Based on pricing for the G17/19 variants, they’ll compete with OEM in that way as well.

A higher capacity magazine would indeed be popular. The G43 is a carry much, shoot little subcompact for most owners. For them, the two magazines that shipped with the gun will meet their needs and more magazines won’t often be sought unless they do something the furnished mags don’t.

I don’t know if mag extensions will work with the JAGs, and I don’t have any to try. Consider these differences when thinking about your favorite extension.

The JAG magazine has no retention tabs on the body, nor slots in the baseplate. If the extension relies on those, they aren’t there.

OEM baseplates don’t fit on JAG bodies due to very slight differences between the two parts. They will slide on, but don’t seat correctly or lock in place with either the JAG or OEM mag insert. Polymer extensions that you could remove or polish a little material on might be made to fit.

Here’s a pic of the OEM baseplate on a JAG body, next to a JAG baseplate on a JAG body. If you look closely, you can see some of the differences.

I didn’t mention it in the previous post, but I see the JAG followers develop the same gouge from the cartridge case seen in OEM mags. In OEM it appears to hit a certain point, stop, and creates no issue.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-29-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Interesting, thanks.

Any updates with how these are doing? I wouldn't mind picking up some cheap range mags for my 43 and I noticed they come in bright colors now too.

Quote Originally Posted by famous187 View Post
    Any updates with how these are doing? I wouldn't mind picking up some cheap range mags for my 43 and I noticed they come in bright colors now too.
    They are still going strong, no issues.

Thanks for the review and update! I recently picked up some ETS mags for the g43 but haven’t had a chance to test them. Based on my limited testing the aftermarket mag stuff for the 43 are really hit and miss so I’m glad to hear someone has put out a good mag!
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List