Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lever Gun Technique

Those Cowboy Action shooters have certainly cracked the code on how to run a lever-gun. I realize they used modified, short-throw actions but I suspect a lot of their techniques translate well. It might be worth seeking one of those guys out (or at least watching some videos) for some pointers.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Good ideas. Thanks.

I thought that likely also, but watching videos, they are what id consider gaming it, using the short throws and flicking the fingers to work the lever rather than getting much force into it, with the trigger finger in the guard and shooting light loads. Some are wicked fast, but that technique doesnt always translate in practical use.

I have really giant hands, and this is a still from a video of me shooting in slow motion, but it gets my finger (nobody likes a fingerless dentist) safely away from the slamming parts. This was the last round in the mag, hence why it isn’t in my the pocket of my shoulder, but still in my eyeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those sleeves doe!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I thought that likely also, but watching videos, they are what id consider gaming it, using the short throws and flicking the fingers to work the lever rather than getting much force into it, with the trigger finger in the guard and shooting light loads. Some are wicked fast, but that technique doesnt always translate in practical use.
    You reminded me of John Taffin's lamenting of where that sport started and where it went. We have a big such club where I shoot and its fun to watch but, as you say.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I foudn that to be the case as well. I think that the nuances of efficiently running a lever gun in a practical setting are in danger of becoming a lost art. It does my heart good to see that practical levergun class.
    @SouthNarc had a Levergun PSP on TPI, but the last couple times I've tried to log in it looked like the site was having problems.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Those sleeves doe!
    They help for shooting lever guns too. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother and father both shoot a lot of cowboys action matches every year. They don't run the short stroke kits and things like that. Then again, they really aren't spending a ton of time in the winners circle either.

I will say this, dad can flat out run a rifle. I've pretty much surpassed him with a pistol, particularly anything with a timer, but man to man, with a lever action rifle, I can't touch him.

Im also encouraged to see people valuing and teaching practical lever gun work.

Small game hunting can be good practice and good fun. In Az the bunny and jack season was all year. Throwing moving stuff to shoot at is fun.

The larger calibers, anything with rifle length cartridges wont adapt to short stroking well, but can still be run quickly. Perhaps not in quite the same league for sheer speed as the comp guns, but for practical calibers and uses, well enough.

User Tag List