Thread: Rings or Super precision mount for lightweight setup.

Rings or Super precision mount for lightweight setup.

So I'm buying a lot of equipment on deployment blind. I just purchased a Geissele super precision mount for the Trijicon Accupower 1-8 for my HK MR556 to mess around with when I get home. I know the Geissele stuff is top notch and that mount is the bee's knees. I hear a lot of people talking about the excellent centricity and such in the reviews, I'm very happy with the purchase and I haven't even touched it.

I was wondering for the P4Xi on my truck gun (16" BCM middy) if going with the Super precision mount is a better option vs the steiner rings which would save me a little weight/money. I'm trying to keep my truck gun down to a fast/light weight setup, but I'm also not trying to cut any corners in the performance department. I know it's a difference of a few ounces but it adds up. I'm not a light weight fanatic, but I will also be stubborn and put a super precision mount on every AR pattern rifle I plan to run a VPO on if I'm not careful. So it's a potentially a serious use rifle the .0000001% of the time it may be employed, so I have to have good stuff on there. But if the rings will save me weight and do a solid job/hold up to mild abuse, then they'll be the ticket potentially. Just to save $$$$, which pains me to say, because I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy. I like quality stuff, but doing all the totals on deployment is getting a little staggering for the 6 AR rifles I have planned/currently own. (6 SSA mounts, $325-350 a pop = $1950 at the lowest end). (Steiner 30mm rings are $189.00)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-09-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Rings are fine if you can get ‘em high enough for a good cheek-weld, and forward enough for proper eye relief.

Most AR mounts are cantilevered to place the optic further forward without bridging the receiver and rail.

I’m a big Geissele fan and use their mounts on variables and Aimpoints.

Site Supporter
    It’s not a Geissele (I have one on my SPR) but if you want to save weight and money I’ve had very good results with the Aero Precision mounts.

I’m not a fan of their complete guns but the things they actually make, like receivers and scope mounts are top notch.

Site Supporter
    I am also a fan of the Aero Precision mounts for lightweight ARs

How do you like the p4xi? Optics planet has a wicked deal on them. I think you can get it under 500$ with code. I am wanting a lpv scope but do not think I have the funds for 1000$ plus scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    How do you like the p4xi? Optics planet has a wicked deal on them. I think you can get it under 500$ with code. I am wanting a lpv scope but do not think I have the funds for 1000$ plus scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I honestly haven't had much time on the range with it, but it's very clear, I love the reticle and the dot, the glass is very clear. I have an old Vortex PST 1-4x, and it blows it out of the water. It's also very inexpensive for what it is. I highly recommend the P4Xi. It's a sweetheart optic for sure. Very competitively priced for what it does for you. I'm even entertaining using it exclusively as my 1-4x VPO on my guns equipped with a 1-4. That vortex might go bye-bye.

The GG&G mount (non-QD model) weighs 5.5 ounces. Having owned one it seems a good compromise between strength and weight.

User Tag List