Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stage pre-planning vs Visualization of the fight

I probably think differently about this than most. First I don't believe it will get you killed on the street. But it won't help you because they are two separate things.

As a mental construct I usually go through the shooting sequence with a, "Gamer" and ask them to put that into a real world perspective. I'll give you a bit of it...

1. The game begins with a loaded pistol ready to go.
    2. The presentation happens when the beep goes off.
    3. You go through the targets appropriately until you believe you are done.
    4. You get penalized if you do it wrong.

So....

1.So do you take care of your pistol in real life. Is it ready to go? As a friend used to say, "There is no louder sound in a real gunfight as a click."

2. Has the mental beep been set for real life? Has a person read the laws of their state? Have they read or taken a class that explains those laws and how that translates into when to draw, point and/or shoot someone? Do they understand what force to use if lethal isn't appropriate? Have they thought about what they will do after the fight?

3. Just start by listening to Tom Givens about gunfights. Experience shows that it's not as hard as we sometimes make it. I mean the thinking part. Not the gunfight part.
    Practice the two main draws, retention and full presentation. Then, you need a training partner.
    Practice with no guns around. You just need your Mark 1A finger gun. Learn the timing of your movement and the partner's movement. Using your finger simulate drawing a gun and moving to the side. Tell the other person what you are going to do. They expect it and try to grab your finger or arm when you move.(you are just playing tag). i.e. they are going to move with you. Play around with that and you will get a feel for when to need draw to retention, draw to full presentation and how much you need to change that plan on the move.

Do the same type of training with target order. Shoot multiple targets. Have the partner put a pic of a gun, knife, a, b, 1, 2, whatever. Practice shooting what they tell you to. Have them call out say, a 1 and then sometimes randomly when you are halfway through the draw call call out a 3. It's just practicing to change during the set automatic presentation. With practice you can minimize the stall or mental lapse that occurs when something makes you change. Have the training partner load your magazines sometimes. Randomly they can place a dummy round in. Sometimes they just pretend to put on in but the mags are just loaded up normally. I could go on but you get the idea. Keep it normal with just a bit of change thrown in from time to time. Don't over do it as that can mess up progress.

There is no right or wrong on the #3. I usually put a few minutes in my dry fire and a few minutes in my set routine of live fire to do one of these things. It keeps it fun by being a bit different. It also allows you to experiment without messing up your progress.

And of course #4 is just plain motivation to do number 1-3 as correctly as you can.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I appreciate the responses guys. Gives me some more stuff to consider, both the mental and some of the physical.

Personally, I put more emphasis on general mindset over trying to pregame the fight. If you put in the work, and exercise due diligence, the outcome slants to your favor.

Doing a stage walk-through is a good idea if you want to win. It is a fixed course of fire, and if you see it beforehand there are no surprises, and you get to think through options, as well as watch others, and make adjustments based on those observations.

Fights are usually a surprise in and of themselves. There is no possible way to even determine what factors will be in play, and therefore, it is impossible to begin to think through all of the scenarios possible.

Proper mindset, which includes predatory work, and plenty of practice and training, should (theoretically) allow you to focus your efforts on decision making, while letting your practice and training do what it does. One must transcend the techniques so the art becomes an artless art, flowing out of the unconscious.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List