Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC question....LEOSA.

Where are you staying? Text or PM me. I’ll try to get a definitive answer for your important question tomorrow, just got back from Wyoming.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I don't know but I will tell you that I was treated great by Federal LEOs when I was down there on vacation. The only grief I got was by an Alexandria cop who lectured me about not having a gun on me when I visited the NRA museum. Great guys!
    Lecture needed
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I found that each Smithsonian museum had slightly different policies at the metal detectors.
    I found that as well. I thought it was strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I found that as well. I thought it was strange.
    Can you elaborate? Would like to go back to D.C. for the first time since I was in middle school.

One had a supervisor come over to chat with you, another had you sign in a book, and the other one just waived you past the metal detector after you id’d yourself.
    Last edited by LtDave; 07-11-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    One, you can't carry a gun at the NRA Museum? I've never noticed signs nor seen screening.
    Second, are you sure about jurisdiction? I believe the NRA is in unincorporated Fairfax County, miles from the City of Alexandria.
    Lastly, most cops in this area will treat you right if you're not acting the fool. This is probably especially true for MPD, U.S. Park, and other agencies operating in the District where they deal with tons of out-of-jurisdiction LEO's. The risk is that you might have to shoot someone whom the Post or a prosecutor decides is the wrong race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, age or whatever.The standard magazine might well be brought up as an issue regardless of how immaterial it is to the actual facts.

Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Can you elaborate? Would like to go back to D.C. for the first time since I was in middle school.
    What LtDave said. I couldn't carry in the Reagan building because it's Federal. We were going in to eat. I had my wife bring me out a sammich and I waited outside.

While I have no plans to ever return to D.C. as an adult (went there many times as a child when we lived in Williamsburg, VA), I guess I'd be toting my Glock 30S to be in compliance with said silly law.

If I'm reduced to 10 and 10 in a reload, I want 230 grain pills.

But that's just me. I'm faster from concealment on the draw stroke with the 30S than my 26.3. More grip to grab.

Regards.

And weirdly.....looks like California, of all places, just passsed a state law exempting retirees from magazine restrictions.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

We were taking an M9 armorer course together at NRA and we got talking about DC. I didn't bring my firearm to the class and he lectured me about carrying in the area and that no one would bother me sight seeing around the capital. He was correct, Supreme Court building and everywhere else was fine, just had me lock it up on the way in and retrieve it on the way out. Good people.

User Tag List