Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC question....LEOSA.

Site Supporter
    That would make sense how an Alexandria officer found his way to the NRA. Supreme Court Police are a good bunch. Our former chief was briefly chief there around 9-11 and we ran a bunch of their people through active shooter training when I was at the Academy.

National Archives Museum will not let you carry inside. In the Air & Space Museum it was fine.

All my interactions with DC cops have been positive. Never questioned about what I was carrying or how many bullets.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Was waiting in line before opening at the National Archives with the family a few years ago. One of their cops (Smithsonian Police I believe?) was walking the line, asking if any active duty military or Law enforcement were in the line. I discreetly got her attention ID'd myself. She smiled and asked if I was armed. I told her no (I know! I know! Don't look at me!!!), and she said, "Okay. Makes it easier!" Told us to follow her and led us past the line to a separate door...where we entered like VIPs. They had lockers there for LEOs who needed to check them. Classy bunch. Very friendly, in my experience. But you can't carry inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    And weirdly.....looks like California, of all places, just passsed a state law exempting retirees from magazine restrictions.
    They did that a year or so ago. They also just allowed the same exemption for retired level 1 reserves. Pretty sure it only applies to CA retired guys/gals. Out of state folks under Leosa, unless you are a retired fed, not so much. PC 32406.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Dave is right afaik but we have some folks in the D.C. area who may know if anything has changed.

If there is no exemption you are limited to only enough ammo to load the firearm twice, not to exceed a total of 20 rounds.
    Interesting. This seems to mean a revolver guy/gal would be limited to less than twenty. I had thought that a revolver made the most sense as the one ideal LEOSA travel handgun, but perhaps a ten-round-mag auto becomes that ideal, if DC is on the itinerary. Hmm. OK, I wonder if I am limited to one handgun? (IIRC, LEOSA says “a handgun...”)

NoVA-MA-PA-DE-DC area is on our short-term to-do list.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Interesting. This seems to mean a revolver guy/gal would be limited to less than twenty. I had thought that a revolver made the most sense as the one ideal LEOSA travel handgun, but perhaps a ten-round-mag auto becomes that ideal, if DC is on the itinerary. Hmm. OK, I wonder if I am limited to one handgun? (IIRC, LEOSA says “a handgun...”)

NoVA-MA-PA-DE-DC area is on our short-term to-do list.
    Rex, pretty sure it's one handgun. If you have a six shooter, you'd be limited to 12 rounds. I think a Glock 26 is pretty much ideal for travel to restricted states under LEOSA. (Just my somewhat biased opinion.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Rex, pretty sure it's one handgun. If you have a six shooter, you'd be limited to 12 rounds. I think a Glock 26 is pretty much ideal for travel to restricted states under LEOSA. (Just my somewhat biased opinion.)
    Yes, though I sold my G26, as it was a hands-gun, a.k.a. two-hand-gun, and my ailing wrist hurt whether it was the weapon hand or support hand.

My S&W 327 PC snub-gun has an eight-round cylinder. Not far short of ten. I can buy, and function-test, a ten-round single-stack 1911 mag. I need not shop for a new pistol. These two guns are handguns, and in the case of the all-steel 1911, does not hurt my gimpy hand, when it is the primary hand.

Actually, it is not the total ammo limit that bothers me, but the limitation of one reload. Having two-plus spare mags, or two other types of reloading devices, is a form of insurance against the very real possibility of fumbling and dropping one of them. Laws are usually written by folks who have never shot a fast-paced training exercise, or seen any elephants.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-13-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Every time I go to DC it seems they change their policies. Back in 09 it was no problem, I just showed my ID and signed in. Every time I have gone since then it has been different. The last time I asked a friend in the secret service about retired LEOSA he told me it was pretty much a no go for most of DC. But he also told me I couldn’t carry in my local bank. So I really have no idea.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 07-13-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Was in DC a couple of years ago. Got off of the subway at the stop for the Smithsonian. Needed to use the restroom so my wife and I went into the nearest Smithsonian and got in line for security. I identified myself as an off-duty LEO to security checking bags at the entrance. They were very polite and professional. My being armed was not an issue. They still checked my backpack and my wife's purse, I assume for IED's. I had a couple of other incidents where I felt necessary to identify myself as an off-duty LEO. Every time, I was treated like gold.

I have never gone to DC for Police Week (Something I plan on correcting next year). Those I know who go on a regular basis tell me they are always treated like gold by DC Metro.

I was honestly surprised at the attitude of DC cops on my first visit there. Quite a few places either refuse to recognize LEOSA or simply don't understand it. I expected similar things from DC cops and maybe even worse, but was treated well by everyone I met. The only time I don't carry when traveling is when flying, which I try to avoid whenever possible. I have this thing about not trusting airline baggage handlers with my firearm. Last time I was in DC I was carrying a 1911 and two spare mags, so I never had reason to think of mag restrictions. These days it might just be a revolver, so as to avoid any issues with that.

Another place in DC where carry is a no-go is the Holocaust Museum.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-13-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List