Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any compelling reason not to put an apex duty kit in a j frame?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If they seem to want to come out when shooting, go ahead and use purple (the weakest flavor). If they stay in acceptably well, no Loctite is better for serviceability.

I'm not trained as a gunsmith, but I have a little experience making machines work better. My thinking on internal work is that shiny isn't the goal. Removing lumps, bumps, burrs and sharp edges that shouldn't be there and that cause unevenness is the goal, with a reasonably smooth surface left behind. Felt doesn't flatten lumps, it just makes them shiny. Stones enable the removal of high points and leveling of a surface with a minimum amount of material removed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I think the biggest issues with spring kits in a J-frame is the chance to run into light strikes when using a lighter mainspring, and trigger function issues with the return/rebound resulting in slow/poor trigger reset.

I used a Wilson Combat spring kit in my 442, which is similar to the Apex kit as far as the springs go, but a fair bit cheaper. I used the lightest return spring, and have not had any issues. I also cleaned up a few rough edges on the mainspring strut and the rebound slide while I had it apart, nothing major. The Wilson kit does not come with a replacement firing pin spring or the longer firing pin, so I tested the gun for light strikes after installing the kit and before seriously carrying it. I shot a variety of ammo, including CCI and even some steel case Tula, figuring that these were probably the hardest primers to ignite, without any light strikes. Zero issues in several hundred rounds now, including RA38B (carry) and my own handloads.

The longer firing pin in the Apex kit probably is a good idea. I'd shoot the gun a bit with you preferred carry ammo to make sure it's going to go bang and not click when needed, no matter what spring kit or work you do inside the gun. I wouldn't locktite the sideplate screws unless they tend to shoot loose on your gun.

I wonder how many dry or live fires it takes to knock off a few lbs. My old carry gun easily had a few thou, and when I retired it & brought the new one out, it was a ton heavier. I should see if a gun shop would test both weight for me, would be interesting.

The Apex video that shows how to install the kit in a J-Frame recommends using grease on the rebound slide. I followed those instructions to the letter and found the grease not to be a very good idea. Details in this thread.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List