Thread: RFI: Mossberg Mariner

RFI: Mossberg Mariner

My local store has a used 590 Mariner for $350. I like the 500/590 series, but I don't know anything about the Mariner and the Mossberg website is not particularity helpful.

Is the "Marinecoat" finish applied to the internal parts? Are there any other advantages or drawbacks associated with the Mariner, apart from corrosion resistance?

For context, this gun would fill the role of a spare to my existing 500, and possibly as a beater / truck gun.

Thanks.

There are no disadvantages that I am aware of with the Marinecote finish. As much as I can remember the coating is applied internally as well.

That being said I would call Havlin (636-937-6401), they are good folks and will likely have the best answer for you.

If the silver color of the finish is not an issue, there is no downside to the 590 Mariner. The finish is indeed applied to the inside of the gun, and it appears to be electroless nickel. Bud's asks $514 for a new one, so $300 is a decent, if not spectacular, price.

Site Supporter
    I think that Mossberg's MC finish is a proprietary finish that is not electroless nickle. The factory is vague on the topic. I was interested in it once for myself. Research continued to indicate a baked on type coating. I never could pin down the details. I think that $350 is high for a used one. Mossberg does not provide warranty service on used guns. My lgs sells new 590s for $350. Try to get it for $300 out the door.

I got a batch of Mariners in 1998 and they are still in service. Originally lethal trunk guns, now inside the car and LL. They remain corrosion free and with few caveats have been pretty GTG. Park'ed 500s and 590s in identical service haven't fared as well.
    Last edited by ST911; 07-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the "Marinecote" is pretty functional. I will also call Havlin, as greyghost suggested.

On a related note, I was disappointed to learn that the 590s are sold with the plastic trigger group. Apparently you have to get the 590A1 if you want steel. Not a dealer breaker for me, but mildly disappointing.
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like the "Marinecote" is pretty functional. I will also call Havlin, as greyghost suggested.

On a related note, I was disappointed to learn that the 590s are sold with the plastic trigger group. Apparently you have to get the 590A1 if you want steel. Not a dealer breaker for me, but mildly disappointing.
    There's a distinction between a 590 and 590 "Special Purpose" but I forget the particulars. Neither have the unique attributes of the A1 though, other than mag tube.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

"It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Havlin is great, I have dealt with them before -

Marinecote is a great finish, it has changed over the years, used to be more of a slick nickel, the newer finish is more matte, per customer feedback from Mossberg, but yes the bolt and parts are all matched, even the trigger blade, and I think the screw on the safety too! It should hold up great over the years and I would like to add one to my collection. If its gently used, and in great shape, I'd try for $300 out the door - Shockwaves are the hot seller nowadays anyway.

If you scour the Interwebs you can usually get the 50299 - 20" barrel, "regular" 590, for about $500 delivered to your FFL - The stock polymer trigger group is an expensive item to upgrade, about $100 for a metal trigger group housing or $150+ if you want to buy the entire 590A1 trigger group. The factory trigger group on the "regular" 590 should last many many years before needing replacement.

The Marine 590A1 version is hard to come by as they only do it currently in 18.5" - Heavier walled barrel as you know, steel safety and trigger group, other parts will be the same as the normal 590. If I was getting a 590A1 I'd be happy with the parkerized finish.

Shockwave Marine would be cool as can be with a 12" Hogue Stock and done on a Form 1...
    Last edited by ricky_bobby; 08-01-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks for the additional feedback, everybody.

User Tag List