Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valor Ridge Instructor Test

Forgot to attach the photo. My buddy and I shot the same target. My misses are marked with a D. His are marked with a J. Maybe he did a lot better than I did, not a little. Yes we did not use the correct head target. With the correct head zone, our scores would have likely been worse.

The D miss in the neck area was my second shot at 25y. I rushed it waaaaay too fast and fired before my sights had fully settled from recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Shot this tonight. I failed. It was in the two spots I thought I would, and one which I didn't but it made sense because I do very little practice in that area.
    Shot with my AllenM Gen5 G19 with RMR from Dale Fricke AIWB holster and t shirt concealment.

Stage 1: 1.61 (Fail on time, I knew this would be one of the problem areas.)
    Stage 2: .85 pass
    Stage 3: 2.97 pass
    Stage 4: 7.91 fail This one surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't. It takes a while to reload a gun with one hand if you don't stay current with it.
    Stage 5: 4.32 pass
    Stage 6: 3.87 pass
    Stage 7: 3.95 pass
    Stage 8: 2.89 pass
    Stage 9: 2.00 Pass got a little lucky here, should have used more of my time.
    Stage 10: Miss. Not a big surprise. I am not even sure where this gun hits at 50 with random practice ammo.

I decided to shoot this today as many of the stages are similar to staples in my practice regimen. Not having a VR-16 target, I used a Jericho Defense target. I gave myself the reduced A for the body at 25 yards and in, the credit card for the head and the full A-zone at 50 yards.

Made the times. Pushed one head shot low; FAIL.

Name:  E23C48E1-D8A3-4C86-A4A7-B716AB855256.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  20.7 KB
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Shot this tonight. I failed. It was in the two spots I thought I would, and one which I didn't but it made sense because I do very little practice in that area.
    Shot with my AllenM Gen5 G19 with RMR from Dale Fricke AIWB holster and t shirt concealment.

Stage 1: 1.61 (Fail on time, I knew this would be one of the problem areas.)
    Stage 2: .85 pass
    Stage 3: 2.97 pass
    Stage 4: 7.91 fail This one surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't. It takes a while to reload a gun with one hand if you don't stay current with it.
    Stage 5: 4.32 pass
    Stage 6: 3.87 pass
    Stage 7: 3.95 pass
    Stage 8: 2.89 pass
    Stage 9: 2.00 Pass got a little lucky here, should have used more of my time.
    Stage 10: Miss. Not a big surprise. I am not even sure where this gun hits at 50 with random practice ammo.
    Very good shooting. You have a nice foundation and a well-blended skill set. Stay with it. You can get this with some work.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I decided to shoot this today as many of the stages are similar to staples in my practice regimen. Not having a VR-16 target, I used a Jericho Defense target. I gave myself the reduced A for the body at 25 yards and in, the credit card for the head and the full A-zone at 50 yards.

Made the times. Pushed one head shot low; FAIL.

Name:  E23C48E1-D8A3-4C86-A4A7-B716AB855256.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  20.7 KB
    Solid shooting. Very good accuracy.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

Kevin B. is an excellent shooter. And MVS. I've had the pleasure of shooting with both of them in class.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 07-18-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Henrichs View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I just posted this up on youtube HERE. It is a very unforgiving course of fire that I am sure many of you will get value from trying. Here it is:

Valor Ridge Instructor Test by Reid Henrichs

All stages shot from concealment/duty rig unless otherwise noted. Target is VR-16 target for stages 1-9 and 16”x9” reduced silhouette for stage 10. All body shots must be inside the 8” circle and all head shots must be inside 3”x2” triangle. Grease marks touching the line count. A miss at any time or a shot over par time results in an immediate failure of the test.

Stage one: 3 yards. Draw and fire 3 rounds to body in 1.5 seconds.

Stage two: 5 yards. From challenge, fire 2 rounds to body in .85 seconds.

Stage three: 5 yards. Draw and fire 3 rounds to body, then 2 rounds to head in 3.25 seconds.

Stage four: 7 yards. Pistol is at slidelock with empty magazine in place. From high ready, on signal reload pistol gun hand only and fire 3 round to body in 7.50 seconds.

Stage five: 7 yards. From high ready, fire two rounds to body gun hand only, switch hands, then fire two rounds to body support hand only in 4.5 seconds.

Stage six: 7 yards. Set up pistol with one round in chamber, empty magazine in place. From challenge, on signal, fire one round to body, slidelock reload, kneel, and fire one round to head in 4.25 seconds.

Stage seven: 10 yards. Draw and fire five rounds to body in 4.25 seconds.

Stage eight: 15 yards. Draw and fire 3 rounds to body in 4.25 seconds.

Stage nine: 25 yards. From challenge, fire 2 rounds to body in 4.25 seconds.

Stage ten: 50 yards. From high ready, fire 1 round to 16”x9” silhouette in 2.0 seconds
    So if I may ask...how did you come up with the time standards when you developed the CoF?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Interesting drill.

I will have longer time limits for myself when I shoot this in practice . . . .

Whew.... So I finally got to go out and give this a spin. Thankyou to Reid for posting them and his unedited video cleaning them. Obviously nobody would believe you can shoot like that unless you do Lots of "instructors" can't shoot. I recall Matt Sera on UFC saying once that you don't learn to be an Olympic swimmer from somebody that's never jumped in a pool.... So Reid, I enjoyed your video. Thanks.

I went out with the intent of having a start to finish video of me shooting this and as of Friday I thought I did. I only edited a "fast forward" through the lame parts of me talking and posted the video.... Only to realize then I skipped two staged and did another one incorrectly (confused it with one from the Glock Instructor Test). OK, so not an official version of course My two takeaways. 1: The test is legit. 2: I don't like proprietary targets or special targets... I get discarded LE/USPSA Targets from the same range @Mr_White does...and I have to wake up pretty early in the morning and get them before he does

So here's my vid, hope you like it.

A71593

Wow this was humbling. Pretty difficult but will certainly give this another run. Ran my g19x from aiwb. Been 2 weeks since at the range and ran cold (although it was 106 degrees today so wasn't exactly cold)

1. 1.89 clean hits but to slow. Fail
    2. .75 clean
    3. 2.88 clean
    4. 7.62, 1 miss. Fail (fumbled this one pretty good, need some practice here for sure)
    5. 4.72 clean but failed on time.
    6. 4.30 clean but failed on time
    7. 3.67 failed, 2 miss
    8. 3.97 failed, 1 miss
    9. 4.10 clean. shocked on this one. I got lucky
    10. I don't have 50 yards on my range so couldn't do this one.

This is really challenging, but is a pretty fun drill, but as I said, pretty humbling. I'm going to run this with the rest of my glocks, will be interesting to compare.

User Tag List